Phone shuts down when no cell or wifi access?

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have XR's which we love but when we happen to go completely outside of cell and WiFi range the phones shut down and try to restart and want to go through the initial startup process. As soon as we come back into cell range they come back on by themselves and function normally.

This hasn't been a problem until today. After all, if there's no cell coverage you can't make a call anyway - right?

But then today we were clear up at the very top end of the Waimea Canyon on Kauai, and when I took out my phone to use the camera it was trying to do the restart and I couldn't get to the home screen, let alone the camera. If that wasn't frustrating! And then I got to worrying that tomorrow we're scheduled to take a helicopter trip around the island which includes flying down into that canyon as well as other remote areas. I'll be extremely PO'd if our phone cameras become inoperable during that trip!

So, is there any way around this? After I got back to the condo I got to wondering if putting them on Airplane Mode prior to going out of cell range might be a work-around (this might be required for tomorrow's flight, anyway). Any thoughts?

69327e6df96adb7b386e72d24ac24539.jpg

Thank goodness it wasn't a problem during this morning's sunrise.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Although I don’t own a XR, I haven’t heard of any issues like this. It’s rather odd that it’s happening to both devices. Trying Airplane mode might be a good idea. I’m hoping someone will chime in with some information. I’m curious to see what’s going on here. Good luck!!!

BTW...that pic is absolutely beautiful

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Although I don’t own a XR, I haven’t heard of any issues like this. It’s rather odd that it’s happening to both devices. Trying Airplane mode might be a good idea. I’m hoping someone will chime in with some information. I’m curious to see what’s going on here. Good luck!!!

BTW...that pic is absolutely beautiful

After I posted my original question my wife reminded me that we have Apple Support on the phones so I gave them a call. The Advisor had never heard of this before and couldn't find anything in his database. His only suggestion was to do a hard restart, a total system restore or take them in for repair. That's not exactly going to help for tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words on the photo. We've tried to get a nice sunset or sunrise each day while here on the islands. This was a sunset in Maui. It's sure going to be hard to go home.

f8b0ba599300ff399a18959f9f6b2eeb.jpg

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a reset is in order and if that doesn’t work take it to an apple store never heard of a device doing what you say it’s doing.

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Well our flight got rescheduled again due to high winds and we'll try again in the morning. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

I will try a system restore when we get back from vacation, but I don't dare do it now. With my luck something would go wrong and we'd lose the phones completely.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
On the remote chance, is it possible that the phone power button was getting pressed while inside a bag or pocket? I mention that given "when I took my phone out".

"Settings\Privacy\Analytics\Share iPhone & Watch Analytics" may also be something to consider turning to On, if not already. That way if On, the crash diagnostics and system state data related to the time frames for when the restart events occur can be sent to Apple.

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
On the remote chance, is it possible that the phone power button was getting pressed while inside a bag or pocket? I mention that given "when I took my phone out".

"Settings\Privacy\Analytics\Share iPhone & Watch Analytics" may also be something to consider turning to On, if not already. That way if On, the crash diagnostics and system state data related to the time frames for when the restart events occur can be sent to Apple.

It doesn't have anything to do with the power button because it happens to both phones at the same time.

I will make sure analytics are turned on, though. That would be a good move. Thanks!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an XR but I’ve never been outside of cell range. I haven’t heard of this problem. When you get home I’d take it in to an Apple Store.

The pictures are beautiful. Good luck.

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Finally got the flight in today and had an amazing time. We put both phones on airplane mode ahead of time and they worked fine. We'll still get them in to be checked when we get back.

de95211203fc19a45331b3ec12425f3c.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I completely understand your worry about not being able to take pictures while on this amazing trip. We were on a cruise back in November, and I relied on my phone to take pictures of EVERYTHING! Your photos are definitely stunning! Let us know when you've had a chance to get them checked when you get back!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro