Permanent SE?

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Here's an interesting thought. Or, at least, to me lol.

Apple pretty much does upgrades and launches on an annual basis. For example September is the month where we see a new iPhone every year, and an iOS upgrade. If this forum (and other forums) is any indication, the 5S/SE size and appearance is wildly popular.

So, the SE was launched in March 2016, and was upgraded to 32/128gb models in March 2017. Is it a coincidence that it was a year, or are we going to see the 5s SE design update specs annually? It would be nice when my 2 year contract with TMO is up to be able to upgrade to the newest, fastest SE variant. :cool:

It may not be just a coincidence that the new 128/32 models came out 1 year after its initial launch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As you've stated, the 4" size iPhone is still quite popular and it could prove beneficial to Apple if they continued offering that particular size option, in my opinion.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
They just released another device with the A9 chip. It will be another year before we *might* see an update on the iPhone mini. :p

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I never thought we would see the iPhone SE on an annual refresh cycle. It's a nice phone but it's not a flagship iPhone. I'm guessing the recent storage bump only occurred because there was a demand for it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
@RefrigeratorRaider That's a good observation. It's always tough to say with Apple. The 4" model is definitely still popular but i don't think it's popular enough for Apple to do yearly updates. Maybe every 2 years there will be a update. I wouldn't really count a storage size bump an 'update' :) The last budget iPhone that was released was the 5C in Sept, 2013 then the iPhone SE in March, 2016 So I'm predicting a new 'SE' model either late this year or early next year with updated hardware internals.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I hate phablets, including any fancy bezel less phones like the Samsung S8 and others.
They are visually 'nice' but a pain to the pocket, they need larger batteries, fast charging, larger covers.
I use my iPhone SE as a phone, the size is perfect and, yes if I need a larger screen for a movie or media, I use Chromecast or Apple TV in my 49" screen 4K TV.
I won't upgrade to ANY larger phone, it doesn't make any sense to me.
A phone should be a phone, a tablet should be a tablet.
I still remember when the market struggled to make them smaller and smaller, almost the size of a nut, the smallest I used was a Motorola StarTac

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I hate phablets, including any fancy bezel less phones like the Samsung S8 and others.
They are visually 'nice' but a pain to the pocket, they need larger batteries, fast charging, larger covers.
I use my iPhone SE as a phone, the size is perfect and, yes if I need a larger screen for a movie or media, I use Chromecast or Apple TV in my 49" screen 4K TV.
I won't upgrade to ANY larger phone, it doesn't make any sense to me.
A phone should be a phone, a tablet should be a tablet.
I still remember when the market struggled to make them smaller and smaller, almost the size of a nut, the smallest I used was a Motorola StarTac
↑↑↑Hear Hear!!↑↑↑

My last phone was a Galaxy Note 4 phablet, and going to a smaller device is a revelation. The small size of the SE is so much more convenient in nearly every imaginable way, and the "smallness" of the screen is not an issue at all, as I thought it might be, and my family/friends think it should be. The SE is also much more powerful and quite a bit faster than the Note 4 to boot. I am excited by the fact that Apple launched updated versions of the SE (32 and 128 instead of 16 and 64) 1 year after the initial launch - and with their track record of annual launches for other devices, I'm hoping this means annual updates/launches of small screen devices too.

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
It won't be such a 'Special Edition' if it becomes a regular part of their product line. I'm curious to see what Apple do in the smaller screen market going forward though because the interest will always be there.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Ah, StarTac....
I have a fond memory. The best phone of the era. I thought someone finally figured out a truly pocketable phone. I particularly liked the idea of detachable "external" battery. Can't somebody apply that idea to modern smartphones (so that call :)?