People who use the default mail app, why?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Spark on both iOS and macOS but only use the stock to share with the share sheet. Otherwise I prefer the utility of 3rd party.

For the stock app the best part for me was VIP but I found other features I liked more with other apps.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock mail app. I use just about all stock. Save for using pocketcasts for podcasts because it offers me a web interface.

Why do I do it? Hmmm... I can't say for certain. I guess i became one of those "that's the way Apple intended" folks somewhere along the way

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the good 3rd party mail apps. I always go back to stock. I like the VIP feature a lot. Email is probably my favorite 3rd party mail app. I use it some. My issue with some 3rd party mail apps is they're hard for me to read. The text is too low contrast.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I use stock email on my iPhone 5c and my iPad Air but I have an issue where my Hotmail shuts the notifications off on its own every month or so and I have to toggle it on again. No major issue really, but this does not happen with my Gmails.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I use the stock mail app because we can't set anything else as default.

I use google chrome as my internet browser however that constantly frustrates me that clicking links always opens them in safari because I can't change the default there either

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I use stock, because the BlackBerry Hub is not available. ;) Fortunately I have a second phone with it! lol

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Default mail app and Safari have been my best combo for a lack of problems and everything as lean and fast as possible.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
To be fair I'm happy with the stock mail app except it doesn't do push with 1and1 email addresses so I have to fetch every 15 minutes.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I use default Mail app for my desktop, and outlook for my iPhone 6s because it pushes gmail. When I used to jailbreak, one of the first things to do was get "push for gmail" from Cydia. Now that outlook pushes gmail, no longer need for JB. But then again, I use an ancient BB Bold 9900 as a primary carry, call forwarded from iPhone, I never miss mail notifications anyway.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I experiment a great deal with various apps, including mail apps, and typically after a a short period of time, I'd always return to the native Mail app. That has NOT been the case since I've started using the Email by EasilyDo app. I'm a big fan of the Outlook.com (formerly Accompli) app with its built-in calendar, but the Email by EasilyDo app has really impressed me, and I don't see myself returning to the native Mail app until iOS 11 beta is released.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I use default Mail app for my desktop, and outlook for my iPhone 6s because it pushes gmail. When I used to jailbreak, one of the first things to do was get "push for gmail" from Cydia. Now that outlook pushes gmail, no longer need for JB. But then again, I use an ancient BB Bold 9900 as a primary carry, call forwarded from iPhone, I never miss mail notifications anyway.

Oops, this is in General Apple discussion forum, not iPhone forum. While I was checking one of the iPhone forums, I noticed this thread in "Trending Now" column.

On desktop, unlike mobile mail apps, I did not find anything particularly interesting to experiment with, except Spark. I tried to use M$ Outlook a few times, for one thing the integrated and switchable PIM (calendar, contacts etc) in one viewing pane. But I never liked the interface of Outlook. Did not think it sync'd well with iCloud (it may have been improved). Default Mail is simple, clean, and always works. It may not be the best one and there might be better 3rd party mail apps, but I used the default one simply because it works, I have been using it for years, integrate well with other Apple apps (such as calendar and Contacts) and see no reason to change it. Simple.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Do you ever frequent the 9900 forum at CB? If so then I must know you.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I use the stock email for my regular email account because it's convenient. It's not feasible for me to use a third-party app for that email because for some reason, I get these warnings from Yahoo that a sign-in attempt was prevented (really annoying, but it seems people enjoy trying to hack into my account). For one of my work accounts, I use the Outlook Mail app, though.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro