People aren't buying Macs as the 15-inch MacBook Air and M3 chips loom large

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, everyone is waiting for the 3nm m3.

giphy.gif

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’d argue that because of price increases at the grocery store, restaurants, auto-dealers and everywhere else is a big reason people aren’t buying or are not buying as frequently as before.

It would be nice to see the entire personal tech industry more to a 2 year refresh cycle. Make products that I can get 24 months out of before telling me how they’re not really all that good anymore.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to see the entire personal tech industry more to a 2 year refresh cycle. Make products that I can get 24 months out of before telling me how they’re not really all that good anymore.

I hear ya. The only item I tend to refresh annually is the iPhone. I’ve had my M1 Mac Mini for a little over 2 years and upgrading from it is not even a consideration. In addition, I’ve had my series 5 Watch for over 3½ years, but it’s been performing so well to the point where I keep delaying upgrading it. In summary, if it’s not an iPhone then I don’t consider it something to be upgraded annually, especially a MacBook.

Reactions: phlamethrowre

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I just don’t think most consumers hang on product rumors and hold off based on them. We of the tech community boards may but the average consumer largely doesn’t pay any attention to it.
If this is even true, a HUGE if, it’s as Just_Me_D says: inflation has squeezed other areas making some purchases get delayed. Further, global pc/laptop shipments have been down. Apple saw this with last ER and it’s likely an extension of it.

We are seeing ATL discount prices on a number of macs? When there’s trouble across the board is when across the board discounts start cropping up.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

I agree but the tech media industry would get financially hurt. Their hype both sells the new release and ups their clicks/views. It’s a vicious circle.

Reactions: phlamethrowre

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree but the tech media industry would get financially hurt. Their hype both sells the new release and ups their clicks/views. It’s a vicious circle.

Yep, every year it’s like “OMG, you gotta have the latest and greatest!!! It’s 6% faster than last year and the battery last 3 minutes longer between charges.”

Reactions: Up_And_Away

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I just don’t think most consumers hang on product rumors and hold off based on them. We of the tech community boards may but the average consumer largely doesn’t pay any attention to it.
If this is even true, a HUGE if, it’s as Just_Me_D says: inflation has squeezed other areas making some purchases get delayed. Further, global pc/laptop shipments have been down. Apple saw this with last ER and it’s likely an extension of it.

We are seeing ATL discount prices on a number of macs? When there’s trouble across the board is when across the board discounts start cropping up.

That’s true.

I believe apple has 100 million mac users. 20% of those users replaces their mac any given year, not to mention users switching to Mac from another operating system or a user purchasing their first pc.

I don’t know the veracity of this single rumor, but it came out of Korea and not Taiwan.

Reactions: Up_And_Away

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner