Parental Controls are completely restricting certain content (not asking for passcode)

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I just got an Apple TV v4.

I want to prevent my kids from accessing more mature content but I want to be able to watch what I want.

I set-up a passcode in the Parental Controls section and then selected the limit for movies and TV (say, PG).

Then I went to the HBO and tried to play a movie that was rated R. I was expected to get a prompt asking me for the passcode but instead it wouldn't let me play the movie at all. I think I tried Showtime and got the same experience.

Is this expected behavior or should it give me the option of playing the movie after entering the passcode?

Thanks!

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

I read that topic but missed a critical part: "You can choose to restrict movies on your Apple TV by rating or even not allow movies to be played at all.". I missed the 'at all'.

But I'm still confused about functionality:

With the v3 Apple TV, I could require certain apps to demand a passcode before they opened.

With the v4 - is anything like that still available? Can I have apps ask for a passcode, either before they open or when content of a certain rating is asked for.

At the moment, I feel like I can have NO content above a certain rating, or I have to leave it completely open for all content for everyone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.......With the v4 - is anything like that still available? Can I have apps ask for a passcode, either before they open or when content of a certain rating is asked for.

At the moment, I feel like I can have NO content above a certain rating, or I have to leave it completely open for all content for everyone.
Yes.

[h=2]Restrictions on Apple TV (4th generation)[/h]Although the options vary, you can customize Restrictions in Settings > General > Restrictions:

• Allow: Select this option when you don't want to password-protect or restrict an app or feature.
  • Restrict: Choose this setting for a four-digit passcode requirement for purchases, rentals, or app usage.
  • Block or No: These options let you block content or features.
  • Show or Yes: Choose these options when you don't want to restrict an app or feature.
  • Hide: Select this option to hide an app or feature.
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200198

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Sorry if I'm being really dense but I'm still not getting this.

If I go into General > Restrictions > Allowed Content > Movies and set it to "PG", then go into the HBO app I see most of the movies have padlock symbols. If I select one to play, I get the following message:

"Parental Contols. This item is restricted by parental controls for your Apple TV. To learn more, go to Settings > Parental Controls."

(I may be nitpicking here but there is no 'Settings > Parental Controls' as far as I can see. It's General > Restrictions > Allowed Content > Parental Controls").

This is the point where I think it should prompt me to enter the passcode, but it just says "no".

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Ah, I finally figured it out. It was pretty much down to how certain apps have implemented the functionality.

* If I tried to play a movie I had previously purchased thru iTunes, the Movies app asks me for a passcode as I expected.
* HBO doesn't work like this - it blocks everything
* Showtime seems to allow everything regardless of restrictions.

So...the trick is to rely on the app ratings and remove all the restrictions on movies and tv. Apps like Nick and Nick Jr are 4+ but Showtime is 17+. When I click on Showtime, I enter a passcode and I'm good to go.

(Next challenge for Apple - figure out a way to enter the passcode with my kids watching in a way that they can't tell what I'm entering.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad