Pangu Jailbreak Problem. Cydia wont install packages.

gahnjah

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
From what I've been seeing online a lot of people have been having this problem, but for a lot of people who have used Pangu, Cydia has been working fine. I haven't seen a solution to this problem yet.

I jailbroke my phone using Pangu. Everything seemed to work fine. I have Cydia on my phone and it loads up just fine.

Every time I open it Cydia will pop up with message that says:

"! Encountered a section with no Package: header"
"! You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems"
"Return to Cydia"

If I try to install any package whatsoever I get an error. I have tried packages that are on the "compatible list" for 7.1.1, they still don't work.

A few times when installing a package I have gotten a random error message. However, 95% of the time the error that comes up when trying to install a package will read:

"Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"
"Restart Springboard"

I literally can't install anything.

I have read threads saying this has occurred in previous jailbreaks, and it was fixed by re-jailbreaking. However, Pangu post-jailbreaking now refuses to recognize my phone when plugged into the computer. It recognized it just fine pre-jailbreak.

I haven't noticed any other problems with my phone since jailbreaking. Even Cydia loads just fine. It just refuses to install a package.

Does anyone know whats going on/ how to fix it? I know I am not the only one with this problem. Thank you.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
At this point try restoring as new and jail breaking again. You can't be that far away from that already.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Adding on to that, if the phone is ignored by more than just Pangu, try putting it into DFU mode prior to restoring. You'll want to ensure you do this while 7.1.1 is still the current version of iOS to ensure you don't miss the window if the next update patches the exploits.

drich3d

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
there is the contradiction of version of ios and cydia, most of the cydia apps work in ios 6.1.3 but not in ios 7 and restarts its spring board when you install such app. it is just like the windows 32bit and 64bit softwares. if you install 64bit software in 32 bit it does not run and send and error. but due to high security in iphones they just crash their spring board and it has only one solution. reinstall the IOS firmware in your iphone and avoid cydia untill it got fixes and made specially for ios 7

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is that its a bunch of crap. I tried from my mac and my windows machine. On both machines it started off ok but on the mac I finally got a jailbreak stalled message. On the windows machine after going through a long Itunes install just so I could try the jailbreak it started to pop up itunes on its own and import info from the phone into itunes likes pictures and such. Well bottom line 2 hours and I still got a iphone 5 on ios 7.1.2 unjailbroken. I wish I had a way of knowing for sure that these dang Chinese didn't do anything underhanded to my phone or either of my computers.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Given the vast amount of people that have successfully jailbroken, it's safe to say it's not merely a "bunch of crap."

I had issues running the mac version, but the windows worked the first time.

The install is longer the first time as it includes downloading ~1gb for the installer. After that, the installer is saved locally. Try starting from fresh and using the newest version of Pangu. After you've restored, wait to bring the backup on until later. That takes some time and you'd prefer know the jailbreak works before messing with it.

Go into your iTunes settings and disable the option to open iTunes automatically. This isn't the jailbreak. It's the settings you've opted to keep in iTunes. They existed long before you attempted to jailbreak. It's a bit silly to blame the jailbreak for this. Are you also going to blame it for iTunes syncing as well?

Run Pangu, but do so when you can devote your full attention to doing so. There are several prompts and your timing matters. The software will timeout so you're best served by quickly following the prompts.

There are plenty of virus scanners. You can restore the phone to factory settings and be free of any possible changes. Stop wishing and start educating yourself. That's much more useful.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
there is the contradiction of version of ios and cydia, most of the cydia apps work in ios 6.1.3 but not in ios 7 and restarts its spring board when you install such app. it is just like the windows 32bit and 64bit softwares. if you install 64bit software in 32 bit it does not run and send and error. but due to high security in iphones they just crash their spring board and it has only one solution. reinstall the IOS firmware in your iphone and avoid cydia untill it got fixes and made specially for ios 7

The crash is related to Mobile Substrate. Many apps in Cydia weren't updated after the iOS7 jailbreak. "Most" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's nothing like the 32/64 bit analogy. With 32/64, it's entirely one-sided. You can run whatever 32-bit software you'd like on a 64-bit system.

Your suggestion is actually terrible. I'll explain why. There's something of a window for jailbreaking. When the window is open, you can jailbreak all you'd like. When it closes, you can no longer jailbreak. There's no logical reason to restore to factory iOS if you plan to jailbreak later. You won't be able to update your iOS because doing so will close your window. You won't be able to easily access Cydia on the device to determine if the apps you want have been updated. It's counterproductive to eliminate your easy ability to gain the functionality you want. Stop acting out of emotion and think before taking action. It'll save you frustration in the future.

Dartly

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Installed Pangu on 7.1.1 a few days ago and everything I select will install and function properly...EXCEPT for anything which involves changing themes.

Tried form popular repos from Bigboss to winterboard and a couple of 'not so popular repos' and definitely Themes do not show.

It's a disappointment since that was one of the reasons I wanted to jailbreak :(

... will remove it completely today until a better patch shows up ...if it ever does.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks natasftw for the info. Slapping me around a bit but that's ok. One question does it hurt for the iphone to go to sleep while this process is going on or do I need to do something to keep the screen from
Going into sleep or lock or whatever they call it

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I generally try to keep my phone awake whenever I'm installing anything. I haven't experimented much with what sleep will, and won't, impact. I'd just prefer not deal with the potential mess.

This jailbreak is timeout sensitive. With that in mind, you should be actively engaged in the jailbreak. Just wiggle your finger around in dead parts of the screen to keep it awake and give your undivided attention to the jailbreak.

I tried using the Mac tool. It caused some issues. I restored fresh and used the Windows tool and it worked the first time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro