Palm cannot continue to exclude wifi and use touch as thickness excuse

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
iPhone pricing

10:47 am 8GB model - $599
10:47 am 4GB model - $499

I'm not sure if this pricing assumes a 2 yr. contract. If not, it is competitive with the 700 series Treo's.

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
10:47 am 8GB model - $599
10:47 am 4GB model - $499

I'm not sure if this pricing assumes a 2 yr. contract. If not, it is competitive with the 700 series Treo's.

These prices are with a 2yr contract so the iPhone is about $200 more expensive than a 700p.

Nesta

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Pricey

$499 with 2 yr contract for 4GB model
$599 with 2 yr contract for 8GB model

I know it's also doubles as an iPod but I don't place much value on an 8GB iPod. Anything less than 40 gb is useless to me so I'd still have to carry myiPod anyway. I view this solely as a smartphone.

That and my reluctance to give up $20 unlimited data for the two phones on my sprint accounts vs. ~$40 per phone ($80) for data on Cingular will keep me from pulling the trigger but this phone slays the Treo in many ways. If Cingular works on a mutliphoen data pricing plan I'd be very intrigued.

However, I wonder if this phone will ever be able to be integrated into huge multinational corporations like mine that rigidly control what can and can't access our desktops.

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
5 hours talk
16 hours just listening to audio.

Palm's done.

16 for data only is fine. My concerns are travel oriented. Not trying to be overly cynical as the iPhone is a kick *** product.

8gb storage
ipod
3.5" screen audio
built in speaker
Seamless syncing for contacts, email...
Bluetooth 2.0
OSX OS
Bluetooth 2.0
2MP camera
Intuitive, patented touch screen design.
No buttons
Qwerty touch screen keyboard
Camcorder/Video/Photo's
Safari
IMAP push email like Chatter!

This is f'n impressive!

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
...However, I wonder if this phone will ever be able to be integrated into huge multinational corporations like mine that rigidly control what can and can't access our desktops.

I don't think Steve Jobs is concerned with corporate users. This device is targeted to individuals, not corporations. Just like the iPod.

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
My 16yr old is on Cingular. She was just bemoaning the fact that she got a Nano last year instead of a Video iPod.

I have a feeling that her Motorola Razr is now out the window.

(She felt the Treo was too shirt pencil protector geeky last year.)

This one is not.

Perry -

After all the years you've spent slaving away with POS, can you imagine OSX on a smartphone? Never, ever, ever having to experience a reset? The bar has been raised for Colligan & Co. on the OS alone. Palm really has their work cut out for them.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I would bet you that the iPhone causes Palm to sell to Microsoft within 1 year.

Nesta

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
is the battery going to keep dying like ipods

this is a killer phone. What kind of battery does it use? Will one need to replace the phone every 18 months because the battery dies. (of course there's apple care)

(I won't be buying the phone because I'm too cheap to give up my $20 unlimited data on Sprint for both of the phones in our house)

Nesta

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I agree but it doesn't help me

I don't think Steve Jobs is concerned with corporate users. This device is targeted to individuals, not corporations. Just like the iPod.

I don't want to carry around multiple devices to keep my schedule straight. Apple will do just fine without folks like me that don't want to double enter calendar events and contacts.

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site
We live in great times!

I am still stuck with my old habits and 10 years of Palm software and $15 dollar unlimited Internet on Sprint, which I am getting free on a SERO plan.

What is Cingular at now?

I edited my last post: What has Jobs named this puppy?

It's named iPhone. Apple negotiated a buyout of the iPhone trademark from CISCO. Cisco announced that and their stock is up as well.

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
A few random thoughts...

It's gorgeous; no two questions.

The 5 hour talk time strikes me as unlikely; this is physics, not software. They can't have a huge battery due to form factor, and transmitters eat power. Anything's possible, but color me skeptical.

The thing is BIG (at least an inch longer than the Treo, maybe more).

Cingular's unlimited internet plans are $49/month, and the cost is $500 with 2-year contract. It's not cheap.

Marc

linoox

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
lovely specs!

https://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html#mn_p

Technical Specifications
Screen size 3.5 inches
Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method Multi-touch
Operating system OS X
Storage 4GB or 8GB
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera 2.0 megapixels
Battery

* Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
* Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Nesta

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
That's what's killing me

A few random thoughts...

Cingular's unlimited Internet plans are $49/month, and the cost is $500 with 2-year contract. It's not cheap.

Marc

Even with my company discount I'm looking at $80/month for data for two phones on Cingular vs. the $20/month for data I now pay on sprint. So I'd have to believe that this apparently amazing device is worth $720 a year over my current setup above and beyond the $600 purchase price.

Can't say that right now. Can't wait to see the real thing in June though.

mohammei

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
this thing looks "precious"...
even though i just shelled out a bunch of money for an unlocked 680, i would definitely consider getting this...echoing what everyone else has said, it all depends on what it looks like when its actually delivered (because Jobs is a terribly good salesman but this does look a little too good to be true)...if it does work, i am so looking forward to not having to find third-party apps to sync my palm info to Mac.
that said, as a "switcher" and refugee from the corporate world, i can see how this would not work for business (and Windows) users...

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I won't buy this device but I see this an a glimpse of the future, and definitely an indication that the Palm will need to change their game if they want to continue long-term in the smartphone market.

Acording to the article here in TC (http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1044-1.htm):

"... The normal mobile phone market is huge. Apple's goal by 2008 is to have 1% marketsahre = 10 Million units (957 M phones out total out there). ..."

To me, that ain't gonna happen at the "early adoptor" price. They'll probably drop the price to around ipod price levels. I doubt Apple would want to go lower than that.

Also, keep in mind this will be a great learning experience for Apple, and they'll offer more compelling devices after they see how the market reacts. It's interesting to see how they went after consumers instead of fighting with RIM and PalmOSoft. Yes, I think this device is likely to be "disruptive", in terms of a robustness and quality of features and O/S. Palm had better get that "next big idea" of theirs out the door in the same timeframe or they'll lose the market. I think Apple's marketshare goals are overly-optimistic,but it's nice to see a better, game-changing player enter the smartphone market!

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
Why I think I'm not going this route: battery life (and more importantly the lack of a switchable battery), no SD card and lack of add on software. While these may change long-term, right now, it ain't happening. HOWEVER, the big bonfire that this will light under the collective rear of the smartphone market will be an unmitigated plus.

Bob-C

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
SD card?

Why would you need an SD card when this thing has models with 4GB and 8GB built in. The largest SD that Palm officially supports is 2GB. Of course you can spend a week or so hacking your Treo and hoping the 4GB or 8GB SD card card you bought works reliably.

As for the form factor, check the specs and measue your Treo. It's not 1" longer. The size is deceptive since it has no keyboard. It is also .5 " thinner.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
Why would you need an SD card when this thing has models with 4GB and 8GB built in.

It's the quickest way of getting data onto the device from any computer. I can pop my USB SD card into a PC, download a movie and it's on my phone. I can't do that if I don't have the cable with the iPhone. Wifi mitigates that somewhat, I suppose, but there are places where Wifi isn't (like my office, which is really the situation I'm speaking of). I'm also going to be curious as to how open the Wifi is -- how easy it will be to make it do what I want.

We'll see. I think it's going to be a great seller, but as with so many other things, perhaps not for me. I still don't own an iPod.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice