Overnight charging question?

Jsince80

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Does leaving the 4s on the charger over night weaken the battery? I don't want to overcharge but I take it off before I go to bed then when I wake up in the morning the phone is in the 70% range.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You can leave it plugged into the wall with no problems at all. The batteries in cell phones now don't have a memory like the older cell phones did. Some people suggest completely killing the battery on your phone once or twice a month and then charging rather than just topping off every night. I try to completely kill mine once every other week or so. I don't know if it actually helps or not, but neither does saying "rabbit, rabbit" on the first of the month bring me luck, but I still do it.

Even overnight charging will not damage the iPhones. If you live in storm country like me, you may want to plug it to a surge plug so if a lightning storm or power surge in the house won't hurt the phone. Not a total guarantee of protection but it doesn't hurt to be safe. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: verwon

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You can leave it plugged into the wall with no problems at all. The batteries in cell phones now don't have a memory like the older cell phones did. Some people suggest completely killing the battery on your phone once or twice a month and then charging rather than just topping off every night. I try to completely kill mine once every other week or so. I don't know if it actually helps or not, but neither does saying "rabbit, rabbit" on the first of the month bring me luck, but I still do it.

Even overnight charging will not damage the iPhones. If you live in storm country like me, you may want to plug it to a surge plug so if a lightning storm or power surge in the house won't hurt the phone. Not a total guarantee of protection but it doesn't hurt to be safe. :)

The idea of plugging into a surge protector is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You can overcharge the phone when the battery gets full the charging circuit shuts off and you run off the charger until you unplug the charger from the iPhone

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The idea of plugging into a surge protector is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. That tip comes from living in Dixie Alley. We get some monster storms here with hellacious lightning. In the past, I've lost a laptop to a power surge, so now all of my electronics get their very own power surge strip.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
i charge my iphone every night. and the last 5-6 years of owning a blackberry...once i went to sleep my phone would stay charging overnight..no issue what so ever. when i leave to work at 6am my battery needs to be at 100%

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine charged over night..Its weird, there are days where after I unplug the phone, it will drop to 99% within a few minutes of using it, or stay at 100% for awhile.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine charged over night..Its weird, there are days where after I unplug the phone, it will drop to 99% within a few minutes of using it, or stay at 100% for awhile.

me too. funny thing though is that when after 85% my battery lasts longer and takes awhile to get to 50%. leaving wifi on or off doesnt make a difference

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Does leaving the 4s on the charger over night weaken the battery? I don't want to overcharge but I take it off before I go to bed then when I wake up in the morning the phone is in the 70% range.
No. Li cells are li cells. In other words the brand/model of the device does not matter despite how people seem to ask this specifically for every device out there. Check some reputable resources on the topic if you want more details.

Overcharging isn't an issue. Starting your day with a battery at 70% probably is.

Some people suggest completely killing the battery on your phone once or twice a month and then charging rather than just topping off every night.
Apple suggest this once a month (see bottom of Apple - Batteries - iPhone. IIRC it's to calibrate/update the battery stats, etc.

Last edited:

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
3G or wifi ?

3G.

me too. funny thing though is that when after 85% my battery lasts longer and takes awhile to get to 50%. leaving wifi on or off doesnt make a difference

I'll be laying in bed after i wake up, play on my phone for like 10/20 min, check facebook, email, rage comics/reddit and my battery will drop from 99% to about 87% or so.

Then, some days once it hits about 85% it'll be much slower to drain, or some days it doesn't matter.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
3G.

I'll be laying in bed after i wake up, play on my phone for like 10/20 min, check facebook, email, rage comics/reddit and my battery will drop from 99% to about 87% or so.

Then, some days once it hits about 85% it'll be much slower to drain, or some days it doesn't matter.

It will drain much faster on 3G than wifi .... Wifi helps battery life if you didn't know

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW