Otterbox Preserver

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The front looks like a N??d, and the back a modified Frē. Seeing as how they've acquired LifeProof, the slimmer design was bound to come sooner or later :)

I'll wait for the reviews to start building before I decide to check one out. For now, I have the Frē and a N??d for my 5S, and they work just fine :)

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks interesting. I am still quite pleased with my red LifeProod Fre case for my 5. It does have the rainbow swirly oil marks on the screen, but you can't see them when the phone is turned on. So, I haven't bothered with worrying about it.

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed the otterbox website has been updated with thr preserver.

Waterproof iPhone 5 Preserver Series case| OtterBox

Only for the 5 right now. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to lifeproof (and sound quality issues)

Yupp, Lifeproof's been acquired by Otterbox therefore the similarities between Lifeproof and the new Otterbox Preserver. Honestly, I can't wait for it to be released, it has touch ID access unlike any other waterproof case so far... And looks sturdy and too thick as well! Just signed up for the newsletter so as soon as it comes out I can order it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The front looks like a N??d, and the back a modified Frē. Seeing as how they've acquired LifeProof, the slimmer design was bound to come sooner or later :)

I'll wait for the reviews to start building before I decide to check one out. For now, I have the Frē and a N??d for my 5S, and they work just fine :)

How does the nuud work with the 5s? Assuming the fingerprint scan doesn't work but no issues with camera?

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Im very interested in this, i alternate between a nuud and a otterbox armor, so it looks like the preserver may be a happy marriage of both

svfd757

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love the look of that case. Might have to pick one up. I have the Otterbox armor and the lifeproof nuud case. Can never have too many waterproof cases I guess lol.

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
How does the nuud work with the 5s? Assuming the fingerprint scan doesn't work but no issues with camera?

You are correct, the finger scan is rendered useless. That's fine for me, we've always used a pass code on our phones anyway, so it was no change.

The dual flash fits perfectly inside the flash opening on both cases with just a little room to spare. I didn't think it would, but I measured it with a caliper, and it's just perfect!

I use the N??d and see no difference in picture quality or dark edges at all. My wife uses the Frē, and is far more photo savvy than I am, and has absolutely no problem with that case either.

The cases fit snug against the back of our phones, and there is no flash bleeding thru around the edges of the cutout on the case. This was a concern for me at first, because my wife's case is Teal.

There was a good deal at the verizon store, and I get a discount on accessories, so we jumped in and got the cases. Best purchase for our phones yet, I've always used LifeProof cases and like their style.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You are correct, the finger scan is rendered useless. That's fine for me, we've always used a pass code on our phones anyway, so it was no change.

The dual flash fits perfectly inside the flash opening on both cases with just a little room to spare. I didn't think it would, but I measured it with a caliper, and it's just perfect!

I use the N??d and see no difference in picture quality or dark edges at all. My wife uses the Frē, and is far more photo savvy than I am, and has absolutely no problem with that case either.

The cases fit snug against the back of our phones, and there is no flash bleeding thru around the edges of the cutout on the case. This was a concern for me at first, because my wife's case is Teal.

There was a good deal at the verizon store, and I get a discount on accessories, so we jumped in and got the cases. Best purchase for our phones yet, I've always used LifeProof cases and like their style.

I'm considering buying a LifeProof Frē made for the 5, and using it on my 5s while I wait for the Preserver series to release for the 5s. Once the Preserver series releases, I'll just return the Frē. From what you said, it seems like it fits perfectly, and the only thing that doesn't work is Touch ID, obviously. I've just got one minor concern/annoyance: I know there's some sort of raised rubber placed on the inside of the screen protector on the home button. While using it, have you noticed that rubber leaving any marks on the Touch ID home button of your 5s? When you take it out of the Frē after using your 5s in the case, does the Touch ID still work with no isses? My only concern (it's probably overblown) is that the raised rubber on the home button will leave some sort of mark or residue on the Touch ID home button and make it unusable. Probably unlikely, but just thought I'd ask!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Verizon is carrying the Nuud now?

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering buying a LifeProof Frē made for the 5, and using it on my 5s while I wait for the Preserver series to release for the 5s. Once the Preserver series releases, I'll just return the Frē. From what you said, it seems like it fits perfectly, and the only thing that doesn't work is Touch ID, obviously. I've just got one minor concern/annoyance: I know there's some sort of raised rubber placed on the inside of the screen protector on the home button. While using it, have you noticed that rubber leaving any marks on the Touch ID home button of your 5s? When you take it out of the Frē after using your 5s in the case, does the Touch ID still work with no isses? My only concern (it's probably overblown) is that the raised rubber on the home button will leave some sort of mark or residue on the Touch ID home button and make it unusable. Probably unlikely, but just thought I'd ask!

Yeah but, who knows when are they releasing the damn case! You might not be able to return it then and you'll have that one dead on the side if you buy the preserver.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but, who knows when are they releasing the damn case! You might not be able to return it then and you'll have that one dead on the side if you buy the preserver.

Yeah, I'm just going to return it the day the return period ends, whichever day that may be. I'd assume it'd be at least two weeks at the very least.

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I don't see the button having any issues yet, but it hasn't been on there very long. I had a case that was on my 4, then my 4s that lived without any issue whatsoever. I'd guess the Fre would be the same on a 5, regardless of finger scanner or not seeing as how the scanner is on the outer ring of the button and not in the middle.

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is carrying the Nuud now?

I don't normally go into a Verizon store because there is an Apple store a few steps away from where I work. But since I was trading in phones, I went to the local corporate store to trade in our 4s phones and get $200 for each phone. They had a bunch of the Fre cases and accessories, and the Fre's were reduced price for some promo thing. They let me apply my Verizon discount on accesories to the cases, so I did. They had 3 black Nuud cases and 2 white Nuud cases, so I thought I'd be adventurous and try one.

Whether or not they all carry them, I don't know. Sorry :(

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't normally go into a Verizon store because there is an Apple store a few steps away from where I work. But since I was trading in phones, I went to the local corporate store to trade in our 4s phones and get $200 for each phone. They had a bunch of the Fre cases and accessories, and the Fre's were reduced price for some promo thing. They let me apply my Verizon discount on accesories to the cases, so I did. They had 3 black Nuud cases and 2 white Nuud cases, so I thought I'd be adventurous and try one.

No worries. Just curious. I know they have fre. Didn't realize they carry the nuud too. Didn't see it online. Only ask cause hubby gets employee vz discount.

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Would you try the Nuud and tell us first hand how it fits the 5s camera and flash wise? I know the deal with touch ID I'm just concerned about the fitting and the actual waterproof function being the case meant for a 5 and not a 5s

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Would you try the Nuud and tell us first hand how it fits the 5s camera and flash wise? I know the deal with touch ID I'm just concerned about the fitting and the actual waterproof function being the case meant for a 5 and not a 5s

Read post #9 on this thread. He goes into great detail.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the button having any issues yet, but it hasn't been on there very long. I had a case that was on my 4, then my 4s that lived without any issue whatsoever. I'd guess the Fre would be the same on a 5, regardless of finger scanner or not seeing as how the scanner is on the outer ring of the button and not in the middle.

Glad to hear it may not be an issue. Thanks for the reply! I believe the outer ring is to detect your finger, and the whole home button is used to "scan" your fingerprint. So, if something from that rubber did get on it, I was just worried that it could mess with the "scanning" ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the Nuud for my future (hopefully tomorrow) 5s. It comes with a scratch protector as well. Spent 80 bucks on it thanks to some reward coupons I had. Expensive in my opinion, but lets see how it feels and if itsw worth the money. I'll keep it until a specific case for our 5s's comes out in the next few weeks (hopefully), maybe if I'm lucky enough the specific one comes out before the return deadline at BBuy... I'll try it tomorrow and upload pictures so you guys can see how it feels in the case, but acording to SlydWiz it should work perfectly.

Nites nites