• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

"other" space in iphone is 19GB??

I

iMore Question

okay I have tried phone clean and deleting things in notes and my call logs, but i can't seem to rid of the "other". 19GB seems like a huge huge amount please help??

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to iMore

The 'other' data is generally a combination of local caches from apps, browsers, mail, Messages, Reading List, saved games, app-specific documents and data, notes, and voice memos. Sometimes the 'other' data is corrupted file data from a backup or sync that was interrupted for some reason.

A lot of apps bloat themselves by storing data, like Instagram for instance which although only a 25mb app can sometimes bloat itself up to 20 times that amount with data. You can remove and reinstall those apps to see if it fixes the issue.

If after all of the above it still hasn't helped then a backup and restore should do the trick

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah 19GB is pretty large especially if your on a 32GB device

Do a back up after you clear out unwanted email iMessage and unwanted apps go into Settings>iCloud>Storage&Backup

Make sure your iCloud back up is on then tap on Manage storage and toggle off all the apps you don't want to save data. After you finish do a full back up of your device then plug it in to your computer and do a Restore of your device load your back up and you will see a big decrease in your other folder

It's not a big deal like it was on webOS when we use to get the dreaded ?Application Database is Full ? warning if not handled immediately would kill your device. Fixing that required Command Line trickery 😖

Last edited:

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having this problem also. I did my first backup and restore on Monday and it knocked my "other" down to 800mb.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
See if you can find out whether an app is using storage by going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage. You might find an app is using space you didn't realize it was using.

Note: if you're currently running a beta of iOS 8, this could just be a bug. There was an issue where iTunes was showing available storage incorrectly.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guideontheside