Original PC blockbuster "Myst" hits the App Store

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Those old enough to remember the days when a 200Mhz Pentium processor and 12x CD ROM drive was the sh!t may remember the game "Myst". I just saw it in the App Store. I remember how amazing it was to just walk around in the 3D environments solving puzzles and seemingly doing nothing but being entertained for hours.

Only problem is it is HUGE, 727MB download. It's $6 right now. Where's my 32GB iPhone?

BigDaddyQB

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Wow! 727MB! :eek: Not sure how much flash memory the iPhone uses for running apps (is it 128MB?) but I sure hope there aren't crashes waiting to happen.

I never did make it all the way through Myst. Hmmm...Maybe I can drag out a copy of the Ultimate Edition (or whatever it was called) that came out a few years ago and see if it runs on my 64-bit Vista machine. I'm thinking probably not...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think the graphics are better here than back when I first played it on PC. Plays well and everything moves and looks solid. Just wish it wasn't so big!

@BigDaddyQB, I don't know about the ultimate edition but I still have the CD for my original version. Sad to say it doesn't play very nice with Vista, even trying to run it in Win95/98 or XP compatibility mode doesn't improve the experience very much.

BigDaddyQB

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
@BigDaddyQB, I don't know about the ultimate edition but I still have the CD for my original version. Sad to say it doesn't play very nice with Vista, even trying to run it in Win95/98 or XP compatibility mode doesn't improve the experience very much.

I checked and it was the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition. It included Myst, Riven, and Myst III. Ran OK on XP. I suppose I could try it on Vista and see what happens. Couldn't hurt anything...I think... :confused:

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com
I read somewhere that the games 1.5 gig to install but once it's installed you get the space back.

It does use WAY more memory though to play than other games.

MAC-LIFE posted an online tutorial of how to beat the game in under 5 minutes.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that's true. You can pack all the apps you deleted back on once it's installed :D

Got a link for that tutorial? lol

Since the install the "other" memory space as reported in iTunes is now 900MB+ for me. Anyone else notice this?

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Its been pretty cool so far....no crashes and the transitions have been perfectly smooth. I never finished the game back in the day...I couldn't figure out what to do at a certain point and I don't like using walkthroughs, but maybe I'm older and wiser now....that's what I'm telling myself.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Damn....five minutes? Now I feel pretty stupid....back in the day I spent hours on this game and didn't even finish it. :( *sigh*

You only spent hours?? I spent weeks!!:D

I actually got through all three games. Myst, Riven, and Exile. It was Revelations that kick my buttocks. I don't think I even got past the first stage.:eek:

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
You only spent hours?? I spent weeks!!:D

I actually got through all three games. Myst, Riven, and Exile. It was Revelations that kick my buttocks. I don't think I even got past the first stage.:eek:

LOL....true, hours is an understatement if there ever was one.....but at least I did finish Riven. I'm not sure if the puzzles just made more sense to me or it was just the the pre-rendered graphics were so much nicer in Riven that I just had to keep going. But that was the last game I played in the series.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
LOL I spent months! I was pretty young though. I'm only 23 now. I did compete it though! I never made it through Riven though.

edit: jeez, do you think I ended enough sentences with "though"?

Last edited:

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
LOL I spent months! I was pretty young though. I'm only 23 now. I did compete it though! I never made it through Riven though.

edit: jeez, do you think I ended enough sentences with "though"?

Lol....you can never have too many thoughs...its the law. :p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative