Original iPad Mini vs New iPad Mini

I

iMore Question

A question for those that have moved on to the rMini. Was it worth it? I am currently shopping for my first iPad device and after going through the decision process to get the Mini over the Pad (I can get more storage that way for the same amount) I suddenly found another option that has me creating a mental groove from the back and forth.

Just to give you general thought process I chose the Mini over the Pad: I could get double to storage for same amount(16GB Air or 32 GB rMini). I loved my first 10" tablet but the only thing is that I never used it traveling because it wasn't all that portable (made my bags that much heavier). I know I'm going to miss my ability to draw on my tablet but that's what good ole charcoal and sketch pads are for.

So I was firmly decided to to get the rMini 32 GB(holding out for the money to get all in one place) but I'm still shopping around mostly in the hopes to find a cheaper price point (...I know a snowball's chance in Tartaurus but a girl can dream) I didn't find a cheaper price point, at least not more than the usual Apple discount of $20.00-50.00 but I did alot of value for that money. Apple sells a refurbished Mini 32GB for $449.99 which initially wouldn't be worth it but it also a connected tablet (LTE/GSM bands). Release the pendulum.

I'm not going to go too deep into my needs (except for memory) and wants because truthfully the entire thing is purely a want not a need that I could just as easily talk myself out of just to talk myself back into it. The deciding factor for me performance. I get that it's older (well acquainted with the specs). I work in the cell phone industry and I found more often than not is that newer doesn't necessarily mean leaps and bounds better. Most updates are incremental and superfluous, real changes seem to take two years (resale comes to mind for the Mini, it will probably be nill over the next year). I'm going to pick up a tablet to check out the display (I've been around iPhones and personally never seen the difference between retina and non-retina) just in case but for those that upgraded from the Mini to rMini was the performance significantly better? For my day-to-day I don't need a connected tablet; I just really love the idea of that option especially for the pricing.

So if you have upgraded your mini would you (to a new user) recommend the buy-in to the rMini? Was the performance significantly different(A7 vs A5?) How about after the update to iOS 7? Did the latest update improve the experience?

Thanks in advanced for your input.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Without a doubt, buy the Retina Mini. I had the original Mini for about six months and then sold it to buy the Retina Mini.I think it's the best decision I have ever made!

I originally bought the 32GB Retina Mini and then kept wishing I would have bought the 64GB. In the end, I exchanged the 32GB and got the 128GB AT&T Retina Mini

As for reale value, I bought the original Mini for $460 as an open box at Micro Center. I sold it for $325, it was the 32GB AT&T Mini.

I had upgraded my original Mini from 6.0.1 to 7.03 when it was time and it didn't affect the speed. It seemed to run just as good as it did when I bought it. I think the speed on the Retina Mini is pretty much equivalent to the speed on the 5S. It's fast.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
In a word, YES!!
I loved my original ATT 16gb mini. My new ATT 32gb rMini blows it out of the water. It is much faster in every respect.

Sent from my rMini using iMore Forums app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife went from a regular Mini to a retina Mini...and she absolutely loves it. Not just the screen clarity though, but the new internals make for a much nicer experience.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed that the screen is nice but what is inside the new Mini Retina is just hard to beat not getting over the original.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim