Ordering the new iPhone using a different lines upgrade

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm ready to make the plunge with the new iPhone however I'm not eligle for an upgrade for a while. I'm on a family plan and my grandma's line still has the same phone from 2006. Does anyone have experience ordering an iPhone on launch day on one line of a sprint family plan while intending to use the phone on another line? Will the phone come activated so I will have to inactivate then reactivate it on my line? Can I have the phone shipped to my address or will it have to be shipped to the billing address of the plan? Sorry if these questions are rookie but I've never purchased an iPhone. Last question, is it better to buy through apple in this scenario or Sprint? Is the iPhone available through Sprint at launch or only Apple? Thanks for all your help can't wait to dive into the forum everyone!

Reactions: asapp

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You have to go to your carrier when the phone is released. Apple will not be able to help you in this matter of switching lines and using it's upgrade.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be lining up on launch day at my local Sprint store.

Does Sprint do online ordering & account management?

When the Verizon iPhone4 came out - I didn't have to set foot in a store. Pre-ordered online, then followed the instructions that came with the phone to activate - then hooked it up to iTunes and synced music, and started installing apps.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
My only issue is that technically I have to order the phone for one line of the family plan then switch it to my line. I have no experience doing this with an iPhone or Sprint before.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My only issue is that technically I have to order the phone for one line of the family plan then switch it to my line. I have no experience doing this with an iPhone or Sprint before.

Verizon's online account management can do 'alternate upgrades' - which is upgrading one line using the eligibility on another line on an account with just a few clicks.

asapp

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat & newbie

Tomorrow for pre-ordering:
I will be using my daughter's upgrade since she used my last year. Will this deactivate her phone as of tomorrow or until I receive the new iphone?
Does anyone have any idea what time the pre-ordering will start online?
I am dumping my android for the new iphone - hope its the right move.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I will be using my daughter's upgrade since she used my last year. Will this deactivate her phone as of tomorrow or until I receive the new iphone?

Pre orders may not take place tomorrow. Just keep that in mind.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Preordering using the eligibility on your daughter's line won't do anything to her phone or service... it just extends the contract on it. Her phone will continue to work as is.

Times & dates of preorders will become known tomorrow.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner