Ordered the Apple series 8

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I own my series 7 flat out and traded it with Verizon. I will have the new series 8 in midnight in a couple of days. I am hoping for decent battery life because lately the series 7 has not been good.
I only have on what I need it for and yes, I do need the always on face. I have had all the models and so far the series 6 had the better battery life……so let’s hope the Series 8 doesn’t disappoint. Today my 7 was at 27% when I left work and it had been on my wrist from 8 am to until I got home at 8pm. Usually it would be at 68%. So this was quite the battery dive.
A friend thinks Apple is deliberately making the battery life subpar so that people will trade in more. I would like to think that is not what is happening. I am disappointed because I have owned the 7 18 months. The series 8 will be my last watch
I do not overcharge my watch either. I charge it till it is fully charged and remove it . If it needs a boost before I leave in the morning, I will put it back on the charger. But I do not keep it on the charger all night and I don’t sleep with it wearing it either.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I own my series 7 flat out and traded it with Verizon. I will have the new series 8 in midnight in a couple of days. I am hoping for decent battery life because lately the series 7 has not been good.
I only have on what I need it for and yes, I do need the always on face. I have had all the models and so far the series 6 had the better battery life……so let’s hope the Series 8 doesn’t disappoint. Today my 7 was at 27% when I left work and it had been on my wrist from 8 am to until I got home at 8pm. Usually it would be at 68%. So this was quite the battery dive.
A friend thinks Apple is deliberately making the battery life subpar so that people will trade in more. I would like to think that is not what is happening. I am disappointed because I have owned the 7 18 months. The series 8 will be my last watch
I do not overcharge my watch either. I charge it till it is fully charged and remove it . If it needs a boost before I leave in the morning, I will put it back on the charger. But I do not keep it on the charger all night and I don’t sleep with it wearing it either.

Hey Jude (I couldn’t resist :)), here’s a couple of suggestions:
-On your Watch press the crown then scroll to Settings>Battery>Battery Health. What’s your percentage? FYI, like you I got the S7 when it first released, I charge every single day, mine is at 91%. It is optimal, if possible, to charge at the same time every day (makes it easy for battery optimization algorithms).
-On your iPhone , go to the watch App, General. 1, Turn off Automatic App Install (delete any apps residing on the watch you just do not use). 2, Press background app refresh. Turn off anything you don’t need refreshing (alerts from your iPhone to Watch will alert you to notifications. Having the app natively on your watch or auto refreshing is not needed).
-If you are a cellular model, depending on signal strength that can seriously cause ups and downs drain of the battery
-Press and release side button (not the crown button), this shows you your open apps. Close anything you don’t need running. Then press restart at the top right.
- it is 79$ at Apple Repair for a new battery. (If you have AC+ it may be free ??).
-Absolutely No offense to your friend but Apple isn’t designing Watch to fail quickly. Generally Apple products are designed to last longer than others (the secondary market tends to be pure in what the life value is on a used device).

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Hey Jude (I couldn’t resist :)), here’s a couple of suggestions:
-On your Watch press the crown then scroll to Settings>Battery>Battery Health. What’s your percentage? FYI, like you I got the S7 when it first released, I charge every single day, mine is at 91%. It is optimal, if possible, to charge at the same time every day (makes it easy for battery optimization algorithms).
-On your iPhone , go to the watch App, General. 1, Turn off Automatic App Install (delete any apps residing on the watch you just do not use). 2, Press background app refresh. Turn off anything you don’t need refreshing (alerts from your iPhone to Watch will alert you to notifications. Having the app natively on your watch or auto refreshing is not needed).
-If you are a cellular model, depending on signal strength that can seriously cause ups and downs drain of the battery
-Press and release side button (not the crown button), this shows you your open apps. Close anything you don’t need running. Then press restart at the top right.
- it is 79$ at Apple Repair for a new battery. (If you have AC+ it may be free ??).
-Absolutely No offense to your friend but Apple isn’t designing Watch to fail quickly. Generally Apple products are designed to last longer than others (the secondary market tends to be pure in what the life value is on a used device).

Jude is my nickname so no worries. LOL. I have done all you have suggested even before posting. 3 weeks ago battery was at 95% and now it is at 91%. It is cellular model. I have turned off a lot of things I don’t use. Like I said, I only have on what I really need.
I am at a dismay over this watch because my previous watches didn’t loose the battery capacity like this…..I don’t also think Apple is designing for watches to fall quickly. he just made the comment. He now has a the Ultra and says it is the best watch ever. Needless to say, I am in awe of that watch but I can’t wear it. WAY TOO BIG .
Unfortunately I cannot charge my watch the same time as my hours vary at work. it would be nice if I could, but can’t. Even more important is I would like my cats to be able to eat their dinner at the same time. But can’t. And they mean the world to me.
I got a really good trade in on my series 7 and not much on the payment monthly added to my bill. I just can’t have the lack of battery. No, I do not have ac on my watch. Oh well. I would rather get the new watch than fork out for a new battery.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Congrats on your new Series 8! I’m loving mine and the battery has been awesome especially coming from my Series 5.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I completely understand that! Congratulations on your new Watch. I think that the "Midnight" color is really striking!

I love the color…..I have the MacBook Air in this color and it is gorgeous. I do have a case on it though because it smudges easily.
I am looking forward to getting the watch.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Battery life was much better today but am still glad to be getting the series 8 because the battery on this 7 has not been the best a good deal of the time. I am content with ending the day at 50% but definitely not 27% ! That is not good

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
So the watch came with not much juice ….disappointed that it wasn’t charged at least 50%. Also the latest watch update was not installed on the series 8 that I received. I found that odd, so am now currently getting my new Series 8 on the latest software update. And will get it set up.
The midnight color is gorgeous like I knew it would be because I had seen in the store and also my new MacBook Air is also the midnight color. It would had been cool if Apple had done the deep purple like on my iPhone but am happy with the midnight> more than I would had been with the starlight or the the gold. I love silver…I wear a lot of silver jewelry but I didn’t like the starlight color for some reason.
I am anxious to see how it is tomorrow.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have had the watch for a few days now and the battery life is a little better. At least it isn’t at 25% or below at the end of my day.
It is in the 45-65% ratio. It will vary. I am constantly on the move at work. We use iPads with our patients . I am left handed and wear the watch on my right wrist and I type on the ipad with my left hand using a stylus. On my days off the battery is actually much better. LOL.
I like the series 8. There are many more options with it.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I have had the watch for a few days now and the battery life is a little better. At least it isn’t at 25% or below at the end of my day.
It is in the 45-65% ratio. It will vary. I am constantly on the move at work. We use iPads with our patients . I am left handed and wear the watch on my right wrist and I type on the ipad with my left hand using a stylus. On my days off the battery is actually much better. LOL.
I like the series 8. There are many more options with it.

I know I mentioned this before Jude (and I know you mentioned schedule isn’t linear for you) but maybe you shower, prep and coffee before executing whatever is your day’s schedule? I highly recommend to make that your every single day charge time. I have done it every day since several weeks after I got my S6 (when I got the S7 its fast charge made the charge time conveniently shorter). Even in the first few weeks of the S6, it sometimes wouldn’t always go a full day. That Shower-coffee every day charge schedule made a huge difference.
Side note on that. I have the Belkin stand with fast Watch charging. Thumbs down on “fast” compared to the Apple watch charging puck. If you get a stand, get one that simply has a ring that you put the Apple puck into. That’s actual fast charging as good as it gets.
Best of luck…

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I know I mentioned this before Jude (and I know you mentioned schedule isn’t linear for you) but maybe you shower, prep and coffee before executing whatever is your day’s schedule? I highly recommend to make that your every single day charge time. I have done it every day since several weeks after I got my S6 (when I got the S7 its fast charge made the charge time conveniently shorter). Even in the first few weeks of the S6, it sometimes wouldn’t always go a full day. That Shower-coffee every day charge schedule made a huge difference.
Side note on that. I have the Belkin stand with fast Watch charging. Thumbs down on “fast” compared to the Apple watch charging puck. If you get a stand, get one that simply has a ring that you put the Apple puck into. That’s actual fast charging as good as it gets.
Best of luck…

When I get home from work I charge up my watch. Then I remove it and will charge it in the morning. I also have the very newest of Belken for my phone, AirPods and the watch. It is very fast and I happen to like it.
When I get home from my day, I do have juice left and it has greatly been better on the 8 than on the 7.
Thank you though for your suggestions. I think how I am doing this with my series 8 is good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh