• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

One more thing… Goodbye from iMore

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Time for me to post my thoughts… this is a long one!

While sad about iMore's finality joining the digital graveyard in the sky, I can't say that I am surprised. I have seen this coming for the last 4 years.

The sad bit

The quality of iMore's content has progressively reduced since Mobile Nation's acquisition in 2020. I'm not firing any arrows at the iMore's staff, but at the higher-ups. And it makes sense, because they want to make back the money they had just spent.

And when the Mobile Nations podcasts (iMore Show, Windows Central Podcast) became irregular in late 2023, the future became gloom; the site didn't get the 2024 refresh removing the country selector that Windows Central had. Also, the Forums never received an iPhone 16 category after they were announced this month; something that normally happened for previous devices.

So yeah, I'm not surprised. And I can't blame Future plc for trying to make money.

My highlights​

This is the most pleasant part to write ❤️ But I know I'm forgetting a ton of people that made this place what it was.

I still remember buying my first Apple device, a iPod Touch (2nd generation) in January 2009, and I searched how to access its internal SSD so that I could use it as a flash drive. This led me to The iPhone Blog at the time; I don't remember the article or who wrote it (spoiler alert: you couldn't do that natively). Then I went my merry way, until I got back somehow into the TiPB days.

From there, I have listened to the Debug, TiPB Live (iPhone live when there were two podcasts?), iMore Show, Vector podcasts and I forget some (I changed podcatchers since).

I vividly remember spending a day outdoors listening to René Ritchie and Leanna Lofte talking about iPhone photography, or iPhoneography. I might have my years wrong, but I think that was the same day I snapped these two pictures in April 2012.

IMG_0041.JPGIMG_0050.JPG

Then, there was the terrific duo of Georgia Dow and René Ritchie that gave two perspectives on Apple and technology, and how it has a direct impact on people's lives. Georgia refusing to update her phone and having hundreds of outdated apps. Something I now observe with my own friends and - through her telling her perspective - makes me appreciate that they might not want to update their devices ASAP. I do gently nudge them from time to time for good reason.

Finally, Mikah Sargeant that became a podcaster at TWiT and Serenity Caldwell's famous Apple Pencil review using an Apple Pencil:

The Community​

I really miss and will miss the days when iMore - and Mobile Nations - was just that fun and quirky website and organisation. It was just such a (mostly) fun community to be a part of, with a pre-2020 Apple whose corporate greed had not yet fully set in.

I sincerely hope that we will hear some day a podcast that will reunite iMore's alumni once again. I really miss hearing them on a regular schedule. I think the only two alumni that still record podcasts are Mikah Sargeant (TWiT) and Stephen Hackett (Relay).

On a personal note, I have not yet decided what I am going to do. Do I want to continue discussing Apple with people in the current state of thigs, I don't know. Until the forums close on 2024-11-01, I will continue to visit here.
After that, I think I will only have an idea right after Thanksgiving (by mid-October) of where I'm heading.

So stay tuna!

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I’m sure I need to update….I don’t stay on top of it like I used to. I also have three kids now that I homeschool. Well I graduated the oldest. She was younger my youngest who’s 10 and her 13 yo brother was a baby when I got that shiny new iPhone! I checked I’m 16.4 we’ll, aren’t we at 18 or about to be so yeah….some Mamas in my tech parenting because they all have iOS devices say some of the updated break controls so I think it’s discouraged me. We are really loving the hidden apps in 18.

Well I guess I might well wait now! I think I read some cool stuff!

This is the most active I’ve been in years! A send off to my tech forums. We should have a post about where folks are going once they digest the news. I do need some support every now and again!

Reactions: Ninjja

Sep 27, 2024
Visit site
This site has been a part of my daily routine for many years, providing me with the latest news to start my day.
A big thank you to everyone responsible and involved in the iMore team who invested so much time to bring this page to life.
Thank you for everything, and wishing you all the best in the future!

Daniel

Reactions: Ninjja

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member