On the Fence with iPhone X, and leaning...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So it looks like I'm going X-rated. I'd be upgrading from a 5s to an unlocked and probably SIM-free X. The eSIM is the question.

I'd back up my 5s to iTunes. Currently my iPhone-syncing computer is on 10.9.5 with iTunes 12.4.3.1. No doubt the X will need a newer OS and iTunes (as I'll always backup to a computer).

My other Macs are on various OSs so I'll probably use Sierra and iT 12.6, if that meets the X's sys reqs.

Originally the plan was to get a SIM-free, unlocked 8 and move my 5s' att SIM to the 8. I was hoping to avoid an activation fee. Obviously, that won't work with the X.

I'd be buying the X outright so it would be unlocked. Given that:

1) Is there an equivalent to SIM swapping with the X or is it activated just like any regular upgrade?

2) With respect to the above, is there even an advantage to getting an X SIM free instead of an 'att' phone?

3) At one time the pro tip was to get an vzw phone so you could use it anywhere. I don't go in country much anymore so CDMA isn't mandatory, but if I can have all the bells and whistles, why not.

4) I know none of the phones will get the newest T-Mo band and am not concerned. But is there a 'best' model of X that covers everything but the kitchen sync (sorry) and that T-mo band?

5) I'd stay on att for a bit and then move to something else, probably T-Mo (gives me great reception where I am most often) or one of it's MVNOs. All the other guys' coverage is unknown and the maps can't be trusted. att's map says I get great reception. No, I don't. Thank you, terrestrial attenuation.

I'm trying to understand what my options are, and how to best implement whichever I choose.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had the T Mobile GSM version of the X since the official launch day and have had nothing but praise for the device. My reception is excellent with no dropped calls.

The Verizon model is also unlocked and will work fine on the T Mobile and AT&T GSM LTE bands, so if you decide to go that route you should be fine.

I don’t even bother getting unlocked phones anymore because T Mobile covers me in the US and Canada and I can also use my data with no extra roaming cost.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
bakron1 said:
I don’t even bother getting unlocked phones anymore because T Mobile covers me in the US and Canada and I can also use my data with no extra roaming cost.

I'll be getting the phone outright anyway, so whatever I end up with will be unlocked. There are a lot of MVNOs that have seemingly great plans, some with senior pricing. I'd just like to maximize my options and change carriers if I want.

Did you get your X from Apple or at a T-mo store? Thanks for the 411 on T-Mo. It's definitely a consideration.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I also have a T-Mobile variant that upgraded to with T-Mobile. Generally speaking, the Verizon models of iPhones have the most bands in them. Though I feel like I read somewhere that’s not exactly true anymore.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
The Verizon one and unlocked version from Apple are the same. There is a difference from the GSM version which AT&T and T-Mobile uses.

Given a choice, I’d take the unlocked or Verizon version. It also has the Qualcomm version which is supposedly faster than the Intel modem used by the GSM version, but that shouldn’t really matter.

Unless you are getting a discount from AT&T, I would get the unlocked one.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I also have a T-Mobile variant that upgraded to with T-Mobile. Generally speaking, the Verizon models of iPhones have the most bands in them. Though I feel like I read somewhere that’s not exactly true anymore.

Getting it through T-Mobile has its benefits. If you get their $12 insurance package or higher, it includes free Apple Care+ which alone is a $200 savings. But also, we did buy my wife’s at launch though Apple, a Tmo version that we paid outright so it’s GSM unlocked, and since her line already had insurance on it T-Mobile still added AC+ for free. More and likely since it was a Tmo model. We checked her serial number a week after we activated it and boom it was on there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR