On my iPhone 5, why am I getting the message This accessory may not be supported.?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 5 This accessory may not be supported.

I have an iPhone 5 (GSM) that I purchased about one and a half years ago. Recently I have experienced a problem where when I connect the device to a charger, it will sometimes display a message saying, "This accessory may not be supported." At first, I was not really concerned since it was displaying only about once or twice a week when I was charging, but now, It displays every time I try charging the device. I have surfed the web for information on this topic and found out about the cleaning the port of the device. Now I do clean the port on a regular basis but, this still didn't resolve my problem. I am using an Apple branded charger cable and an Apple branded charging block. I am very frustrated about this problem because I see that nobody else is experiencing this problem and it haven't resolved. Thank you if you have any information or instructions for my problem.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 This accessory may not be supported.

I get this message every night when plugging in my Mophie Case / Charge.
I've just learned to live with it and press OK.
Good Luck

lolzqwr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey TurboTiger, thanks for the reply! This has been charging when it first showed this message to me. But now, when this message appears, the phone stops charging and even if I reconnect the cable it just shows the same thing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is normally something related to 3rd party knock off accessories...if you are in fact using an Apple OE wire and adapter, you should take it back to apple and let them see and you're almost guaranteed a replacement free of charge. Apple has been known to cover lightning cables for years after the initial warranty is over...even if they are fairly worn.

That said, your lightning cable could be damaged in some way, which is causing some sort of signal drop in the line, and triggering that warning. Personally, I'd just replace the cable to see if the warning still persists...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

A short in the cable will do that. If it's used a lot while charging, you may get those issues even with an Apple cable. I do. Try flipping the cable and plugging back in.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

lolzqwr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hm.. When My friend tried to charge his iPhone with my cable everything looked fine just as it should. But just as soon as I switched the cable to my phone, the message popped up. In the past I have barely used any 3rd party charging cables for my iPhone while my friend uses them like 24/7 and didn't have any problem. And also, when I plug in my phone to a PC to charge, even if the phone is low on battery it still wont charge it.

lolzqwr

May 8, 2015
Visit site

Flipping the cable did not resolve my issue, like I didn't try that a hundred times before..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Flipping the cable did not resolve my issue, like I didn't try that a hundred times before..

Does the connection go on and off, or does it stay off regardless of how you move it about?

lolzqwr

May 8, 2015
Visit site

The connection can randomly stop the charging process and then when I reconnect the charger, it will not continue to charge. But if you ask do I have to hold the charger a certain way, then no I do not.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hm.. When My friend tried to charge his iPhone with my cable everything looked fine just as it should. But just as soon as I switched the cable to my phone, the message popped up. In the past I have barely used any 3rd party charging cables for my iPhone while my friend uses them like 24/7 and didn't have any problem. And also, when I plug in my phone to a PC to charge, even if the phone is low on battery it still wont charge it.

If this is the case, then you may very well have an issue with your device and should schedule a genius bar visit.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I get this message every night when plugging in my Mophie Case / Charge.
I've just learned to live with it and press OK.
Good Luck
Do you happen to have the switch on the Mophie turned on to green when you plug it in? I realized once that was why I kept getting that message once the phone finished charging.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Do you happen to have the switch on the Mophie turned on to green when you plug it in? I realized once that was why I kept getting that message once the phone finished charging.

I get the message regardless of whether the switch is on green or red.
Like I said before, I just hit "Dismiss" or "OK" what ever the message states.
Good Luck

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Mophie? What is that(Sorry if that is obvious I just not familiar with that word).

Mophie is a type of iPhone case that includes a battery.
This extends the use of your iPhone before having to connect to the wall or car charger
Good Luck

lolzqwr

May 8, 2015
Visit site

I don't use any charging devices accept the original Apple branded cable. I would of understood why it would of showed up if I used a 3rd party charging device but I am not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't use any charging devices accept the original Apple branded cable. I would of understood why it would of showed up if I used a 3rd party charging device but I am not.

If it's Apple, take it to an Apple Store and they will give you another one.

ChristopherWeakley

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
With my iPhone 4, I have found that cleaning dust and pocket lint out of the dock connector port is not enough. I usually give it a blast of CAIG DeoxIT spray. The spray dries quickly and improves conductivity by deoxidizing the metallic components of the port. It has never damaged my phone. If you are at wits end with this problem, and nothing else has worked, I suggest you pick up a can of DeoxIT and give it a shot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro