Official Windows 7 iPhone Help Thread

AlecH

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
For those of you with 64 bit capable computers, Windows 7 (except the Starter version) will install in 64 bit mode.

If you try to run the same iTunes setup program that you ran on your older 32 bit computer, note that Windows 7 will advise you to download the 64 bit version of the iTunes setup program. I just did it here on a new notebook (just bought notebook today), and the setup went the same as for a 32 bit system.

Bdub81

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Hey All-

I just came here as I am having problems with having my iphone sync to my itunes.

When I plug the USB in, the phone charges, however, the system gives me no option to install the iphone as any type of device.

I purchased this new DELL PC yesterday with Windows 7 Premium (64Bit) and even called Dell to let them know of the issue. All my other USB devices seem to work properly and are recognized directly upon connection, but nothing with the Iphone.

I checked the device manager, and nothing is even listed, not even the Apple Driver. I manually added the driver to the drivers folder but still had no response after resetting the computer.

Dell had told me I may have to do a complete restore on the system as drivers may not have been properly installed when the factory imaged the computer, so I did - with no luck.

Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Hyrosandmaster09

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello people, im here with a few questions about jailbreaking an ipod touch so pls help me out
1:If my ipod was bought as a 2g and i upgraded it to 3g via itunes,should i still jailbreak by 3rd generation
2:Since i use the itunes store on my ipod touch instead of using the itunes store on the computer, when i restore,it deletes all my music and i have to rebuy it, so wat should i do?
3:Is there a way i can jailbreak saftly without restoring?
4:I tried to jailbreak yestrday but it screwed up and i had to restore,How can i prevent this?!!! HELP PLS!!!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You'll have better luck getting your question answered if you ask it in the jailbreak forum, rather than the middle of a thread answering questions about Windows 7.

Zexel

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 by doing a clean install. I'm just syncing my iPhone for the first time since, and I noticed that under the "Photos" tab of the iPhone menu, you can't select specific folders within My Pictures anymore. Is there any way to enable this?

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Im trying to sync my photos and photo albums but it keeps making itunes shut down, but the sync screen is still on my iphone. whats do i doooo

win7iphone

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
iphone 3gs, vista to win7 clean install

hi. I just did a clean install of win7 64bit, from vista 32bit. I copied my appdata folder, and itunes folder to a external hard drive.

I forgot to deauthorize vista, before I installed 7 and itunes and authorized it. Anyway, I've copied my old itunes folder over the new one.

Now I'm just worried about connecting my iphone 3gs. I dont want to lose my music (was on manual sync), apps, and most importantly my contacts by connecting to my computer now. And I want to be able to add/remove songs.

Do I have to copy anything from the vista appdata folder? What files and where? Inside Username/appdata/ there are three options local/local low/roaming - and the all have various apple folders inside them too.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!!!

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Windows 7 64-bit users: iTunes 9.0.2 x64 which is supposed to be used on all machines running Windows Vista 64-bit as well as Windows 7 64-bit. When I installed it tonight, on a fairly fresh installation of Windows 7 Ultimate (on a Thinkpad W700), it keeps giving me error messages (Unknown errors) every time I sync the iPhone (3G).

I sent the issue to Apple, but maybe someone here has had a similar issue.?

The default installation folder for iTunes 9.0.2 is also totally wrong. It installs itself in "Program Files(x86)", which we all know is the 32-bit folder of any Windows OS in 64-bit flavor. I changed the the install location to the correct one, and it works just as poorly. It did work fine for me in my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, but at the time, there was no iTunes 9 yet.

Anybody have anything similar happening on your 64-bit PCs?

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I also thought it was strange that iTunes 64-bit installs in the 32-bit Program Files folder, but it's always worked just fine for me there, both under Vista Ultimate 64 and 7 Ultimate 64.

My only suggestion is to make sure you have all Windows updates and install any motherboard drivers and/or BIOS updates from the manufacturer's website.

garys11#IM

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I just got a new laptop with W7 installed. I been waiting before I moved my iTunes from my XP laptop, thank you but I do have two questions, DO I use the iTunes backup function or I just move the entire folder myself? and am still using iTunes 8.2 on my XP, can I still use 8.2 on W7? Reason why I still use 8.2 is that my iPhone G2 (OS 3.0) is unlocked/jailbroken and I do not want the problems I read about iPhones being relocked with iTunes 9 and other stuff.....Hope I made sense :) Thank you

cmsy27

Jan 10, 2010
app-reciationreviews.blogspot.com
Thank you so much for this thread. I just got a new PC with Windows 7 and I haven't transferred my mobile applications from my laptop yet. I'll be doing it soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well!

mickeykool

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
My drive crashed and lost everything. Now I'm gonna install win7 and etc but is there a way I can re download all the apps I bought before automatically?

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My gf and I both use Windows 7 Ultimate and haven't experienced any issues with iTunes (besides the usual). CrunchDude, you could try creating a 'new' account on Windows 7 and see if you experience the same issue.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
mickeykool,

When you install iTunes on the new install, just authorize it for your old account and you'll have access to everything you've ever purchased.

aherrera

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
iTunes woes

I too just got a new Windows 7 machine to replace an old one running WinXP. I'm having some trouble migrating iTunes tho :( First I tried simply copying the entire My Music folder and launching iTunes. That "seemed" to work, but then I realized there were all these "!". iTunes was telling me it could not locate the file... but I could manually point it to the file and it would work. Problem is there's lilke 2000 of these!!! Apple told me to rebuild the database... but that was a crappy solution because then I lost a ton of album artwork, ratings, plays, etc.

Can anyone suggest anything?? I still have the old machine, so do have that as a backup at least.

Thanks in advance,
Albert

Hu(man)

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Scenario: I was running iTunes together with iPhone on Windows XP SP3. Laptop experienced a 'liquid-related incident" and was fried. Hopefully the HDD was intact.
Now, if the insurance company comes through, we?ll get a new a laptop BUT, for obvious reasons with Windows 7 instead.
So, if I manage to salvage the iPhone backup file from the (hopefully) undamaged HDD - how do I go about getting it to play nice with the new Windows 7-friend?
And is it at all possible?