Official Apple leather case

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone shattered their iPhone in an apple leather case? I bought one from Best Buy on sale and while love the look and feel of the case, I’m concerned that my $1000 phone could shatter if it fell. I’m very careful with my phone, I won’t even let my kids touch it. I’ve watched reviews on YouTube and tried to see in the comments where people may have experienced a shatter and found nothing. Please let me know your thoughts.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the Apple Leather and love it. I have dropped my phone and it’s been fine. That being said- it all depends on how it hits the ground. I personally would recommend Apple Care. Good luck

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Years ago, when contemplating cases etc and having seen several 'drop tests' from different heights ( I had an iPhone 6/ Apple leather case at the time) one thing stuck out - IF a phone was dropped from more than a couple of feet ie think 'stairway or ladder' the phone, case or not, especially if not falling 'flat' on the ground ie end or side hitting first , it would bounce once or twice, with most drops - the Apple cases seemed more likely than others, to simply fly off making the 'second landing' an unprotected phone. Food for thought...

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Apple Leather cases since my 6 Plus and surprisingly I have never damaged my iPhone while wearing one (knocking on wood).

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I never had an issue either, but I never has a phone fall on to anything hard. Our flooring here is either wood, concrete, or ceramic tile so we are quite careful. The 'Griffin Survivor' series clear or tinted silicone type cases do a nice job for us & feel good in hand unlike many 'MIL-Spec' brands which are overbuilt & heavy unless one works outdoors in maybe in a construction type environment.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I usually don’t use a case but when I do its pretty much always the Apple Leather case. I have never had an issue with them.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I always use the Apple Leather case and find it doesn't add much bulk to phone (nice for slipping in pockets) and does offer some protection however I do know if you go naked and drop on cement patio screen side you will be out some cash to repair screen ,I learnt the hard way .

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Here in the Caribbean, carpeted floors simply get very musty unless in a totally air conditioned environment all year and all day. We only air condition our own bedroom at night thus its hard ceramic tile in all rooms except living room (hardwood) or the patios ( concrete) none of which are 'phone friendly' surfaces. Thus decent cases are a priority.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Been using Apple leather and silicone on my phones for a while now and have dropped a few times on various surfaces with no issue. If you work a tough job like construction, I'd opt for something else but for most of us these cases are sufficient protection.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No I have not. But I did drop my phone 1 time on pavement and the leather case was toast. It’s shredded the bottom corner.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have used the Apple OEM Leather cases on all my iPhones since I can remember and yes I have dropped them and it does leave some serious scars on the leather.

I have always taken great care of my devices and always tell folks who work in tough environments to go with a case like the Lifeproof or Outerbox.

koalasprint

May 16, 2017
Visit site
My iPhone 7 with the leather case slipped out of my hand when working on a rooftop. It landed on a hard surface and it somehow survived the fall with barely any damage to the case. Yet the same phone and case fell out of my child’s hand and the screen shattered. Go figure. Generally speaking though, I find them non obtrusive and comfortable, protective but not rugged, a little slippery with sweaty hands but otherwise grippy, but not so grippy that it sticks to your pockets. I find that in the summer the phone tends to heat up rapidly when navigating, so I put my phone holder in front of an air vent. In saying that, where I’m from the summers are fairly long and hot. Have had one on my X for nearly 2x years and I run my business from my phone, so it cops a thrashing, but it is still in good condition. Mine is black, so it holds it’s colour well (probably adds to the heat factor in the sunlight) but I can’t speak for other colours. I’ll get another one when I upgrade my phone.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
My iPhone 7 with the leather case slipped out of my hand when working on a rooftop. It landed on a hard surface and it somehow survived the fall with barely any damage to the case. Yet the same phone and case fell out of my child’s hand and the screen shattered. Go figure. Generally speaking though, I find them non obtrusive and comfortable, protective but not rugged, a little slippery with sweaty hands but otherwise grippy, but not so grippy that it sticks to your pockets. I find that in the summer the phone tends to heat up rapidly when navigating, so I put my phone holder in front of an air vent. In saying that, where I’m from the summers are fairly long and hot. Have had one on my X for nearly 2x years and I run my business from my phone, so it cops a thrashing, but it is still in good condition. Mine is black, so it holds it’s colour well (probably adds to the heat factor in the sunlight) but I can’t speak for other colours. I’ll get another one when I upgrade my phone.

It shattered in the leather case when it fell out of your child’s hand?

koalasprint

May 16, 2017
Visit site
It shattered in the leather case when it fell out of your child’s hand?

Yep. It was an approx 1m drop on to a tiled floor. I guess it just must’ve hit a sweet spot, and kids have a knack of breaking things. In saying that, my drop was ridiculously lucky. I would never consider them a rugged case, but they have been tough enough for my working environment.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Yep. It was an approx 1m drop on to a tiled floor. I guess it just must’ve hit a sweet spot, and kids have a knack of breaking things. In saying that, my drop was ridiculously lucky. I would never consider them a rugged case, but they have been tough enough for my working environment.

I just love the look and feel of the leather and my job doesn’t require extreme conditions. I’m just afraid to shatter a $1000 phone lol.

koalasprint

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I just love the look and feel of the leather and my job doesn’t require extreme conditions. I’m just afraid to shatter a $1000 phone lol.

That’s a fair call
If you are clumsy with phones I’d be looking at either a more rugged case or some sort of warranty program. Otherwise I think you will be fine. I just hate rugged cases, my phone is my main tool and I need it to be comfortable.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4