Odd cosmetic issue

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So I've been relatively lucky with my 5, as I haven't had the chipping or scuffing issues some have had. I did notice today that I have two odd silver dots under my screen all the way at the top right of the phone. I thought it could be dust at first, but they are in a perfect line and are reflective. Considering that I haven't had any other issues, I'm debating whether I should take it back to apple and have them exchange it for a new one. I'm not even sure if they would since its so small, but its clearly a (small) defect. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I've been relatively lucky with my 5, as I haven't had the chipping or scuffing issues some have had. I did notice today that I have two odd silver dots under my screen all the way at the top right of the phone. I thought it could be dust at first, but they are in a perfect line and are reflective. Considering that I haven't had any other issues, I'm debating whether I should take it back to apple and have them exchange it for a new one. I'm not even sure if they would since its so small, but its clearly a (small) defect. What do you all think?

It caught your attention to the point where it moved you enough to post a comment about it so I suggest you take it to the nearest Apple store and have one of the geniuses look at it. I would also compare it with a friend's iPhone 5 and see if their device has the same possible defect and if not, I'd request an exchange while at the Apple store.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
*sigh* They exchanged it for an Apple Care new one. He had to open three boxes before he found one that was almost acceptable. The first had a huge ding in one side, the second had some pretty severe discoloration of the beveled edges. The last one, which I ended up just taking because I didn't have time to wait for him to keep opening boxes, has a small ding on the top back edge. I didn't notice until I got home, though, that the backlight at the top is yellow and uneven. I could live with the small ding on this end, but not the backlight.

So...now I don't know what to do. It's clear their apple care replacement stock is coming from early production runs that have lots of issues. They also don't have any actual new ones to exchange out. (Not that I think they would now that they've swapped this one) I would hate to be 'that guy' that makes them open box after box when I go back tomorrow, but I think that's all i can do at this point.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* They exchanged it for an Apple Care new one. He had to open three boxes before he found one that was almost acceptable. The first had a huge ding in one side, the second had some pretty severe discoloration of the beveled edges. The last one, which I ended up just taking because I didn't have time to wait for him to keep opening boxes, has a small ding on the top back edge. I didn't notice until I got home, though, that the backlight at the top is yellow and uneven. I could live with the small ding on this end, but not the backlight.

So...now I don't know what to do. It's clear their apple care replacement stock is coming from early production runs that have lots of issues. They also don't have any actual new ones to exchange out. (Not that I think they would now that they've swapped this one) I would hate to be 'that guy' that makes them open box after box when I go back tomorrow, but I think that's all i can do at this point.

At least you now know what to expect. Having said that, you made it perfectly clear that although you can accept a small ding, you will not accept the faulty backlighting so you might as well go back and exchange it for one that you find acceptable. The Geniuses at the Apple Store are used to dealing with a variety of customers. Good luck.

Just Me, D

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
At least you now know what to expect. Having said that, you made it perfectly clear that although you can accept a small ding, you will not accept the faulty backlighting so you might as well go back and exchange it for one that you find acceptable. The Geniuses at the Apple Store are used to dealing with a variety of customers. Good luck.

Just Me, D

Yeah, I mean, the ding is no big deal. (The second one, at least. The first one was huge.) The genius even said that he would keep going through more boxes until he found me one that was perfect, but I didn't have the time tonight. Would be happier if I could just swap it for a brand new sealed box 5, but that's pretty much impossible. Oh well, I've got some time tomorrow night, so I'll stay there until I find one that's acceptable.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You're going to mess around and start liking that particular device...(laughing)....;)

Ha. I sort of am, but the screen issue is REALLY noticeable with the non-optimized for iPhone 5 apps. Tomorrow I have time to sit there until we find a good one haha.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright, my friend. Again, good luck tomorrow and give an update when you can. Take care. ...:D

Just Me, D

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Give it a day or two with the screen, it may just be glue drying and the yellowing will disappear. If not, do another exchange :)

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I don't think it's glue or anything else, because the pattern is consistent with an LED issue. I dunno, I could just wait until November when the supplies of replacement devices have switched to better stock.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349933860.158751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349933860.158751.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 67

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
And a slightly better picture, without the reflection from the iPad in it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349934034.874963.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349934034.874963.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 59

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my replacement phone yesterday, and I'm very happy. It doesn't have any defects at all (screen, scuffs or otherwise), and we got it on the first try.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement phone yesterday, and I'm very happy. It doesn't have any defects at all (screen, scuffs or otherwise), and we got it on the first try.

Outstanding! I knew you'd take care of it. Enjoy it as well as enjoy your day & weekend..:)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Now you better make sure you put it in a case :) lol I'm getting scared now I really hope the one I get arrives without any defects.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Threads like these make me feel better about having returned my ip5. I returned it for a
few reasons. One did include a small scuff right out of the box. Top left corner of the
screen. I plan on getting an iPhone 5 before the end of the year. I just hope that there is
better quality control on the new batches that are being manufactured.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think they've worked through all those initial batches that had defects, because my original one was flawless too.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Threads like these make me feel better about having returned my ip5. I returned it for a
few reasons. One did include a small scuff right out of the box. Top left corner of the
screen. I plan on getting an iPhone 5 before the end of the year. I just hope that their is
better quality control on the new batches that are being manufactured.

They already are. My new phone, which I got two weeks ago, was flawless. (Beside the little specks, but that was me being REALLY picky instead of an actual manufacturing issue) You should be good with any of the newer batches.