Obsession with thinness?

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am excited about getting my iPhone 5, which should arrive this week. I think its an improvement over the 4S by a long shot.

but I also think apple could have made the 5 twice as thick and it still would be easily thin enough to fit in a pocket but allow for a much stronger battery, and for more memory, and an even better camera.

I never found myself thinking, even of the 3GS, "damn this thing is just too thick!"

I have however found myself wishing I had a better camera, or that the battery would last longer. Even as stoked as I am about the 5, I wish it were even better. I'm jealous of the nokia 808 pureview camera, and I'd like a battery that you could use hard and it easily last 24 hours.

There's things apple does I don't agree with, but can understand why they did it that way. for instance the screen size. I would love a giant screen. but I understand apples reasoning behind why they chose not to go that route. Apple's right, giant screens are not meant for one handed use.

personally I'd be willing to trade one handed use for a larger screen, but I still get where apple is coming from.

Which it comes to thinness, I don't get that at all. I understand it to a point, thinness makes it fit the pocket better, but even two 5's would easily fit your pocket. Well unless you wear hipster skinny jeans or something. LOL

I can see it now. the iphone 10 will be able to double as a bookmark, and will be so light it can be blown away in a breeze.

Frankly I'd like to see a thicker iphone that throws in a giant battery, better speaker, more storage space, and a kickass camera that can compete with the nokia 808 pureview.

So why does apple insist on being so thin? I'd like to understand it from their point of view, even if I don't agree with them.

Last edited:

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather it have been thicker as well. As you mentioned it would allow a better camera and better battery life. Think if an iPhone with a purview camera and raze maxx battery. That would rock.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

freight48

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thin is good. You obviously don't wear anything remotely tight to the skin so you probably don't appreciate how little pocket space there is.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Small is the new big... I love the redesign of the battery in this small factor which gives pretty much identical performance or better to the previous generations.

Fishous

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I've often wondered why Apple didn't design it so that the battery was removable/replaceable so that a user could replace it with an extended life battery, like a lot of other phones have. It would be a big selling point, and it would maintain their stock look.

I can see it both ways, some like it thin, some don't care about thin and would like a bigger battery. I originally thought the iPhone 5 would have been better with that extra 1mm of battery, instead of being thinner - but now it's growing on me.

When it comes to Apple, you basically get what they think is the best, they don't really care about customizing as much.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
UPS says I'll get mine this thursday. then I can see what its like to hold it.

maybe I'll change my mind.

I doubt it though. a phone that feels nice in the hands but with a dead battery is worse than a clunky phone that still has power.

similarly a better camera would make it worth it too. I will be amazed if the iphone 5S can compete with Nokia on the camera or battery front.

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I quite frankly cant go back to holding the 4S and thinking how I used it for a year. It's like a power brick weighing down my hand. This phone is so gorgeous to the eyes and touch its borderline insane.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I'm slowly getting use to it. I still love the size and weight of the 4S but the 5 is growing on me.

After using the 5 I will agree the 4S does seem a bit like the "iPhone snookie".....

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I love the size and weight and the thinness of the iPhone 5. Although I wouldn't mind a little more bulk for a bigger battery. The battery life lasts fine for me, but a little more would never hurt.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro