Nvidia has another shield in the works. Small thoughts welcome.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Rumours abound that as well as Shield 2, Nvidia has a more powerful gamer-orientated piece of equipment waiting in the wings. Aside from being packed full of GPU core goodness, and having what those with little care for details would probably describe as a 'retina' screen, very little is certain about the package. So, there is plenty of room for idle speculation.

Will it be uglier than our own faces? Should we wait until the next one is released the following year, or will it actually not be designed to become obsolete within one cycle? Come on, people are interested in what you have to say. Input.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think that the Kepler GPU is going to be bottlenecked by the CPU in the tegra chip. The GPU in the tegra chips are good but the CPU is not really that great. Plus from what I heard the tegra devices are not developer friendly. I think the tegra K1 would shine in the next surface tablet cause if I remember correctly the surface 1 and 2 use directx instead of OpenGL for rendering which is where that Kepler GPU would really shine.
One thing I would like to see is Apple using that Kepler GPU in the next iPad for 2 reasons; first is it would be optimized properly for the iPad, second is to see the performance of the Kepler GPU with the metal API in iOS 8.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you can muster. If you had a bad back I would not expect you to do hard lifting. The same sentiment follows here, only what you feel able to manage,no need to over-exert.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have never seen the appeal of having these new ways of gaming, and every single time a new mode of gaming has surfaced it seems the traditional ways, like consoles and PCs, have endured and proven resilient.

The Nvidia Shield has tried to innovate to some degree with its Android-centric app ecosystem and game selection, not so different from Ouya and a few others, even the Oculus Rift. Since I have phones and tablets that do that style of gaming for me, outside of the consoles and the PC, I don't see the need in things like the Shield for personal use.

It is like in Skyfall, when Moneypenny says how the "Old ways are sometimes better." They are when it comes to gaming.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Those are good points, Speedygi. In some ways it seems bizarre that a hardware manufacturer is building devices that have little appeal, except for those who would release the software available on these devices. Personally cannot see how the Ouya could be attractive to anyone, unless they do not understand what it is.

I do not have the necessary equipment to stream a video game from one PC to another, but even remote desktop sessions can be disappointing, and I wonder how good this can be, given it is the major difference.

As far as development goes, well, the boards are cheap.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Those are good points, Speedygi. In some ways it seems bizarre that a hardware manufacturer is building devices that have little appeal, except for those who would release the software available on these devices. Personally cannot see how the Ouya could be attractive to anyone, unless they do not understand what it is.

I do not have the necessary equipment to stream a video game from one PC to another, but even remote desktop sessions can be disappointing, and I wonder how good this can be, given it is the major difference.

As far as development goes, well, the boards are cheap.

The success of app-based gaming has yet to be seen.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The success of app-based gaming has yet to be seen.

I agree, I'm trying to stay a bit ahead in terms of mobile gaming but I don't see how it will over take consoles and PCs. Devices like the PS Vita need more AAA games to be a true contender to take over. The problem is with games like first person shooters you need a controller (or in my case a keyboard & mouse) to play them, most games on mobile use a touch interface which isn't that great. Real time strategy games would be fine on a touch screen, in some cases even better. I don't thing mobile devices are going to take over consoles & PCs yet but they will eventually.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk