Not as personal and all that

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I was excited by Apple's talk about the wide range of personalization in the watch. But in the end, it is surprisingly limited for most of us.

First, most people are finding $400 for a smart watch is quite expensive enough, limiting selection to the sport model. Then most men (not all) are not that into bands in baby blue, pink, neon green, or even white. So we are down to one single model, the space grey with the black band.

A little disappointing, really. Would have been nice if they could have offered at least one color option with the aluminum case that was a little more sober.

Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I was excited by Apple's talk about the wide range of personalization in the watch. But in the end, is surprisingly limited for most of us.

First, most people are finding $400 for a smart watch is quite expensive enough, limiting selection to the sport model. Then most men (not all) are not that into bands in baby blue, pink, neon green, or even white. So we are down to one single model, the space grey with the black band.

A little disappointing, really. Would have been nice if they could have offered at least one color option with the aluminum case that was a little more sober.
I totally agree with you. Even though I am a guy and okay with the baby blue, pink, neon green, or even white...let's be honest, these color choices are more feminine; the space grey with the black band is more unisex, imo. I am exploring that one or the baby blue one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So just curious about a couple of things you said in your post...

- Where are you getting your numbers that "most people" find the entry level model "quite expensive"? Do you have some source that shows consumer feedback relevant to the pricing announcement during the keynote, or are you just talking out of your rear end?

- Where are you getting your numbers that "most men" aren't into the color options on the sport model? Do you have some source that shows male consumer feedback relevant to the color announcement during the keynote, or are you just talking out of your rear end (again)?

...to be honest with you, seeing the feedback and comments made across the spectrum of several tech communities and blogs online, the initial reaction seems to be very positive both in price and design, including the entry level watch color choices.

I'd be willing to place a healthy wager that the entry level watches sell out extremely quickly on Friday when the pre-order opens, and then shortly after, the next bump up will sell out...and by the time we're done, most, if not all, of the watch size and price options (sans the gold models) will be sold out and probably will be for at least a week or so.

So to be honest, your post kind of screams a lot of groundless assumption, and your own opinions being represented as "fact"...neither of which are accurate really. We have a brand new Apple product coming out, and like ALL Apple products, it will sell like hot cakes...and given the target audience for each level of watch option, it will continue doing so for some time to come.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was excited by Apple's talk about the wide range of personalization in the watch. But in the end, is surprisingly limited for most of us.

It's possible down the line more bands for the sport will be offered and there are the potential 3rd party bands. A black band will go with everything so it's a good starting point.
The brightly colored will appeal to whoever likes them. Men or women. It just depends on a persons style.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

- Where are you getting your numbers that "most people" find the entry level model "quite expensive"? Do you have some source that shows consumer feedback relevant to the pricing announcement during the keynote, or are you just talking out of your rear end?

- Where are you getting your numbers that "most men" aren't into the color options on the sport model? Do you have some source that shows male consumer feedback relevant to the color announcement during the keynote, or are you just talking out of your rear end (again)?

...to be honest with you, seeing the feedback and comments made across the spectrum of several tech communities and blogs online, the initial reaction seems to be very positive both in price and design, including the entry level watch color choices.

I'd be willing to place a healthy wager that the entry level watches sell out extremely quickly on Friday when the pre-order opens, and then shortly after, the next bump up will sell out...and by the time we're done, most, if not all, of the watch size and price options (sans the gold models) will be sold out and probably will be for at least a week or so.

So to be honest, your post kind of screams a lot of groundless assumption, and your own opinions being represented as "fact"...neither of which are accurate really. We have a brand new Apple product coming out, and like ALL Apple products, it will sell like hot cakes...and given the target audience for each level of watch option, it will continue doing so for some time to come.

Well said sir! There still seems to be a lot of negative assumptions flying around about the Watch.

I do have to admit when I first heard of the pricing I was upset and swore it off. But now after some rational thinking LOL I'm going to be buying one for me and my mom both the sport model of course cause I still believe Apple is crazy in some of these prices especially the edition models so I'll wait for third party bands to come out. But I am excited again to get one and play with one this Friday.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

The internet has actually invented a name for what you're doing:

Sea-Lioning | Know Your Meme

I don't need a consumer survey to know that lime green, pink and baby blue are not popular male colors in North America. White maybe, but even then...

:laughing:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not as personal add all that

I was excited by Apple's talk about the wide range of personalization in the watch. But in the end, it is surprisingly limited for most of us.
Limited how, and for most of whom?

First, most people are finding $400 for a smart watch is quite expensive enough, limiting selection to the sport model.
Remember how people gasped at the price of the iPhone, iPad and the MacBook? Yet, they sold and continue to sell millions upon millions of them. I suspect they will sell a good amount of Watches, too.
Then most men (not all) are not that into bands in baby blue, pink, neon green, or even white. So we are down to one single model, the space grey with the black band.
Back in the day, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with that statement in regard to the girly colors, but not today.

I can understand that on a personal level. Hopefully, you'll get your wish in the near future.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The internet has actually invented a name for what you're doing:

Sea-Lioning | Know Your Meme

I don't need a consumer survey to know that lime green, pink and baby blue are not popular male colors in North America. White maybe, but even then...

:laughing:

I have to agree with you on the colors. I too don't need a survey to know that most men would prefer black or gray to lime green and pink. I've also seen a lot of complaints on the pricing on various forums and sites. I see a lot of men and women say they will wait for 3fd party band selections. I don't want the Watch period. But if I did get one, I would want a black band. Lime green or white is not my style.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Apple isn't the only company that will be making bands for the Watch. There will be plenty of 3rd party bands to cover the colors and styles Apple missed with their initial offerings.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not as personal add all that

Remember how people gasped at the price of the iPhone, iPad and the MacBook? Yet, they sold and continue to sell millions upon millions of them. I suspect they will sell a good amount of Watches, too.
I too think the Watch will sell well, I suspect mostly due to the fact that Apple consumers have no other choice. Some already have owned the Pebble, and unless they are tech enthusiast, jumping to an entire platform is unlikely, imo. I would think those who have been heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem will likely buy the Watch, if they are in the market for a smartwatch. Of all wearables I have been following these past 2 years, the Apple Watch has gotten the most attention, so hopefully that will translate into big numbers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I too think the Watch will sell well, I suspect mostly due to the fact that Apple consumers have no other choice.
I'm not sure I agree with that statement - specifically the part about having no other choice. Having said that, I think a lot of people will buy it because it's an Apple product and because it'll be the latest new thing.
Some already have owned the Pebble, and unless they are tech enthusiast, jumping to an entire platform is unlikely, imo. I would think those who have been heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem will likely buy the Watch, if they are in the market for a smartwatch. Of all wearables I have been following these past 2 years, the Apple Watch has gotten the most attention, so hopefully that will translate into big numbers.
I agree, and I do think Apple will sell a lot. Anyway, thanks for replying...:)

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Just to be clear - I'm not arguing that the Apple Watch isn't going to do well - I hope it does and have no reason to think it won't. I'm not arguing that it's a bad product - I think it's awesome! I'm just arguing that Apple's decisions on pricing and on band colors at the low end mean that for many males, there is surprisingly little choice.

If I weren't a fan, I wouldn't be hanging around in this forum. :rotfl:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I would like the 42mm Sport, but my wrist measures 215mm, and the largest Sport band is 210mm. The Stainless has a Classic Buckle that is 215mm, but from the pictures that I am looking at on Apple.com, the bands for the Stainless don't interchange with the Sport watch.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Apple will sell the bands separately at some point (maybe not right away.)

There's no technical reason why you can't attach a classic leather band to a sport watch. But the colors of the metals might clash.

You can get a sense by looking at mixyourwatch.com.

Also, there are a couple of Kickstarters that might help:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigbands/bigbands-xl-for-apple-watch-long-bands-for-large-w

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1516117990/click-the-first-watch-band-adapter-for-apple-watch

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Whether and when Apple will sell them separately is the question.
I don't think "whether" is the issue, since they are listed already on the Apple store. But yes, not at all clear when.

But I wouldn't overlook the issue of the different metal colors clashing (steel and aluminum).

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I agree with the selection of the color choices for the sport edition. Not too thrilled about the selection.

I have no problem with the options they are offering. They are the exact same colors as the silicon Iphone 6 cases (minus the RED). And technically, because this is the "sports" edition, it compliments the color scheme of many athletic attire / shoes, etc. (The bright neon style)

I think many people will purchase the sports edition because it's the entry level, cheapest option & use that as their primary watch, so the black band is the one that can go with most fashion choices.

I like the silver watch & the black band, but that's not an available option, so I'm just going to get the black band separately (and choose either the white or green for the initial purchase)

I just wish there were some additional "neutral" color choices for the sports at launch (Like the navy blue, or a brown, gray, etc.)

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

That's the upsell. Sure, you can stick with the $400 version. But it's dull! Go to the $700 version! Etc.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Technically any of Apple's 42mm bands will fit the 42mm watch and the same for the 38mm watch and any of the 38mm bands. Whether and when Apple will sell them separately is the question.

I'm sure that you are right, but going by these pics from Apple.com, it just looks like the bands attach in different ways. That's where my confusion is coming from.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure that you are right, but going by these pics from Apple.com, it just looks like the bands attach in different ways. That's where my confusion is coming from.

I think the buckle on the leather is making it look as if connects in a different spot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh