Nokia 808 vs iphone 5

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Nokia 808 PureView review: the future of mobile imaging, wrapped in the smartphone past -- Engadget

right now it doesn't stand a chance, since its using an OS thats soon to be eliminated.

but I think in a year or so, we'll see microsoft phones with this outstanding camera on it that beats the ever loving piss out of even the iphone camera.

41 megapixels. and it actually works. They use all those pixels to make 5 megapixel shots that combine all the pixels to root out noise and such, while creating vibrant shots.

even the 38 megapixels. samples I've seen are pretty good.

Anybody know more about this? also any ideas how apple may upgrade their own camera to compete?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the tech...but i think by the time it hits it's stride after the development turns it into a real usable feature that stands out, Apple will have their Sony sourced camera up and running on the iPhone which will further the already incredible camera that is on the 4S. The future of these things seems to be pointing at SLR type lens adaptors to bring them out of the simple point and shoot realm and into a more legitimate photography realm.

NO ONE has addressed the issues of lack luster flash performance and zoom features...that Nokia setup seems to be on the right track with noise reduction features, but the real photography steps will come with better lenses (just like with any camera).

I think the world of point and shoot cameras is nearing a sad end as well...with things like this Nokia setup and even the 4S's wonderful camera, point and shoot cameras are simply becoming obsolete.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I like the tech...but i think by the time it hits it's stride after the development turns it into a real usable feature that stands out, Apple will have their Sony sourced camera up and running on the iPhone which will further the already incredible camera that is on the 4S. The future of these things seems to be pointing at SLR type lens adaptors to bring them out of the simple point and shoot realm and into a more legitimate photography realm.

NO ONE has addressed the issues of lack luster flash performance and zoom features...that Nokia setup seems to be on the right track with noise reduction features, but the real photography steps will come with better lenses (just like with any camera).

I think the world of point and shoot cameras is nearing a sad end as well...with things like this Nokia setup and even the 4S's wonderful camera, point and shoot cameras are simply becoming obsolete.

I agree. Hopefully with the new iphone it will have this ability to zoom and have better flash performance in the pictures.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Hopefully with the new iphone it will have this ability to zoom and have better flash performance in the pictures.

I don't think we will ever see a true flash function on any of the phones...simply because most legitimate flash's on cameras are bigger than the entire camera itself on all cell phones right now, and it kind of has to be to get the saturation of light required to make it usable (and to get light distribution correctly). They have to stick with these tiny LED setups on the phones, which do work to a point, but they simply cannot mimic the real deal...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
:eek:u
I don't think we will ever see a true flash function on any of the phones...simply because most legitimate flash's on cameras are bigger than the entire camera itself on all cell phones right now, and it kind of has to be to get the saturation of light required to make it usable (and to get light distribution correctly). They have to stick with these tiny LED setups on the phones, which do work to a point, but they simply cannot mimic the real deal...

Technology is a wonderful thing. I think in the next few years we will see it I mean look how far phones have come in such a short span of time and they will begging focusing on other parts of phones to get them more on par with other things(in this case flash and camera)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
:eek:u

Technology is a wonderful thing. I think in the next few years we will see it I mean look how far phones have come in such a short span of time and they will begging focusing on other parts of phones to get them more on par with other things(in this case flash and camera)

Im sure something will come along and better it, but the way the flashes work, i just can't see them making it much smaller with the ability to truly disperse light the way a real good flash does...but you're right, technology on phones has exploded in the last 5 years, who knows where we'll be in 5 more.

subhash123

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
RE:

No,its not just the meaning of 41 megapixels in NOKIA 808 pure view phone,but
its just cos of its picture quality that matters for the same.
Its camera will fulfill your both the desires of having a good smart phone and the everlasting camera facility.
Its 41 megapixels meant not just a number but its meant for it clarity..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No,its not just the meaning of 41 megapixels in NOKIA 808 pure view phone,but
its just cos of its picture quality that matters for the same.
Its camera will fulfill your both the desires of having a good smart phone and the everlasting camera facility.
Its 41 megapixels meant not just a number but its meant for it clarity..

........what?

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I really have no idea what a 41 megapixel camera is doing in a phone. If quality matters that much then buy dedicated hardware for it and get a DSLR. I expect the phone will be cheaper but i can't imagine it doing it justice. Seems a bit of a fad to me. Unless I am missing something here?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I really have no idea what a 41 megapixel camera is doing in a phone. If quality matters that much then buy dedicated hardware for it and get a DSLR. I expect the phone will be cheaper but i can't imagine it doing it justice. Seems a bit of a fad to me. Unless I am missing something here?

This.

While i understand that someone wants to market this as the "best camera phone in existence", these things are still not even close to on par with your good DSLR's and Pro cameras. I had the argument one day that i thought my 4S was taking pictures that looked as good as the pictures my wife was taking with her Canon 7D...it was more of just a generic observation of the pictures we had already taken while viewing them quickly on the computer, but she put them to the test, and unsurprisingly, the iPhone lost horrifically.

Now that is quite an expensive camera, and kind of like comparing a Civic to a Ferrari...but even low end DSLR's (Rebel's, etc) are just in another league (and are not that expensive really until you start getting into lenses and what not).

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
This.

While i understand that someone wants to market this as the "best camera phone in existence", these things are still not even close to on par with your good DSLR's and Pro cameras. I had the argument one day that i thought my 4S was taking pictures that looked as good as the pictures my wife was taking with her Canon 7D...it was more of just a generic observation of the pictures we had already taken while viewing them quickly on the computer, but she put them to the test, and unsurprisingly, the iPhone lost horrifically.

Now that is quite an expensive camera, and kind of like comparing a Civic to a Ferrari...but even low end DSLR's (Rebel's, etc) are just in another league (and are not that expensive really until you start getting into lenses and what not).

Yup. I love the iPhone camera and the quality of the work of some people on Instagram in conjunction with the plethora of apps available shows there is a lot to be said for it. However, true depth of field and all sorts of advanced techniques are not available on a phone regardless of number of megapixels. I agree it's a complete marketing ploy and I doubt they would sell many. SmartPhone consumers are too clued up for that.

vegas_photographer

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Most IPhone people don't get it because you aren't Professional shooters, the Nokia 808 Pureview is a godsend for us as it makes the need for a 2nd compact travel camera redundant. Even many amateur shooters will appreciate not having to travel with a Compact Camera. Iphones and Androids with lack of Xenon flash, Manual ISO & small sensor size cannot take quality images at night of people at a restaurant or provide fill flash for a night portrait. The Nokia 808 can. The device received a GOLD AWARD on Respected Photography site DPreview for a reason. What you are missing is that the 41 mp sensor is there so that there is lossless zooming capability. I can record in 1080p and zoom 4x without loss, 720p with 6x zoom or an 8 megapixel image with 3x lossless zoom. Thus making the need for optical zoom redundant. A first for a mobile device, groundbreaking. FYI The image sensor in an 808 Pureview is 5x the size of an IPhone 4s & larger than 90% of compact cameras. (but smaller than micro 4/3 sensors)

I have exclusively used MAC laptops and desktops for almost 10 years, but I am still not a fan of IPhones as they are primarily a consumption device, whereas MAC's are creative devices. On my 808 i don't have to give my Credit card details to download free apps from the Nokia store, on the IPhone you do. Not a fan of that Apple. Not a fan of paying for apps. Only ever bought one on my Nokia.

I travel a lot and i download whole countries for free offline use & navigation before by trip then when i land i can, (without roaming) use the phone as a pure GPS without any wifi or date connection. You cannot do that on any IPhone or Android. That for me is as valuable as the best camera on a mobile device. Nokia should market that more. Just as it should Nokia rich recording which records without distortion up to 140db. i recorded a concert the other night in 1080p with stereo digital recording and the sound is amazing. No other phone has that either.

IPhones will probably never have Xenon flashes, that feature alone for me is paramount as an led flash is 5% the strength at most of a xenon, and the occasional night portrait is important to me. Never know who you may bump into in Vegas! I don't want to have to take another camera just for that. Yes, the 808 is a niche device but that is what makes it a cult device. I acknowledge that the interface isn't as flashy or quick as IPhone but its close & for me the camera and Navigation more than makes up for that. I'll take the compromise on that for now. A perfect Nomad Travelers Phone is there ever was one.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner