Next generation iPhone release date is in Oct. - will you upgrade?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 116 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 43 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^ well I can see how that would be a benefit in your case. However, I pay full retail for my iPhones in order to stay out of a contract, therefore in my case, buying a minimal upgraded iPhone at the full retail price even after selling my iPhone 4 wouldn't be worth it.

iKustomize

Aug 29, 2011
www.iKustomize.com
Bring it on, Already....

I hope the pre-orders are shipped early again like last year. I really enjoyed having the 4 2-days before you could get it at the store... :cool:
word...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
^ well I can see how that would be a benefit in your case. However, I pay full retail for my iPhones in order to stay out of a contract, therefore in my case, buying a minimal upgraded iPhone at the full retail price even after selling my iPhone 4 wouldn't be worth it.

I understand that. But why no contract?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand that. But why no contract?

I don't like the idea of getting tied down to anything for two years. I did that with Verizon, once and when their coverage began to decline in my area, I ended up having to pay an ETF to break the contract. ETF are double now than what they were back then which is way I stay away.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't like the idea of getting tied down to anything for two years. I did that with Verizon, once and when their coverage began to decline in my area, I ended up having to pay an ETF to break the contract. ETF are double now than what they were back then which is way I stay away.

32GB on contract $299. EFT with At&t is $325 to total $625 if you combine them both. Retail is $699 or $749. Cant remember. EFT goes down $10 a month. For example, if you stay 1 year then your EFT is $205. Its cheaper to sign the contract and terminate if needed then to pay retail.

Reactions: Eileen89

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
32GB on contract $299. EFT with At&t is $325 to total $625 if you combine them both. Retail is $699 or $749. Cant remember. EFT goes down $10 a month. For example, if you stay 1 year then your EFT is $205. Its cheaper to sign the contract and terminate if needed then to pay retail.

I never really thought about in this respect. It would definitely save me money. Funny thing is, I've already been with AT&T for 2 years and paid full retail for my 16GB 3GS and my current 32GB iPhone 4...... I might rethink the contract thing if the iPhone 5 comes out and the rumors surrounding it turn out to be true. :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I never really thought about in this respect. It would definitely save me money. Funny thing is, I've already been with AT&T for 2 years and paid full retail for my 16GB 3GS and my current 32GB iPhone 4...... I might rethink the contract thing if the iPhone 5 comes out and the rumors surrounding it turn out to be true. :)

Yeah I just pointed those numbers out because many people dont really think about it. They just hate contracts. But yeah just look at it and see what works best for you.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple would be making a huge mistake to play it safe right now when there are some absolute monster phones in the pipeline from the competition. The iPhone 5 not only has to compete with what's out already, but for the next year, an iPhone "4s" would look pretty silly compared to some of the stuff I've read about.

I love the Apple ecosystem, but a retina 4-4.5 inch screen phone with 2-4 cores, and other crazy specs just might be enough for me to jump ship, I could keep my iP4 and use it like a Touch so I have all my apps etc..

You also have to take into account that if people sign new contracts next month they might not be eligible for an upgrade until early 2013, meaning a lot of people would be stuck with this 4s until the iPhone 7 came out. So there's no way I'm wasting my upgrade for a speed bump which really would only benefit me when waiting for pics to render with apps like Hipstamatic, I need a good reason to upgrade. And if companies like Samsung or HTC can come out with a zillion phones a year of all shapes, sizes, and resolutions, Apple can surely give us one. If they can't, well hello Nexus Prime.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple would be making a huge mistake to play it safe right now when there are some absolute monster phones in the pipeline from the competition. The iPhone 5 not only has to compete with what's out already, but for the next year, an iPhone "4s" would look pretty silly compared to some of the stuff I've read about.

I love the Apple ecosystem, but a retina 4-4.5 inch screen phone with 2-4 cores, and other crazy specs just might be enough for me to jump ship, I could keep my iP4 and use it like a Touch so I have all my apps etc..

You also have to take into account that if people sign new contracts next month they might not be eligible for an upgrade until early 2013, meaning a lot of people would be stuck with this 4s until the iPhone 7 came out. So there's no way I'm wasting my upgrade for a speed bump which really would only benefit me when waiting for pics to render with apps like Hipstamatic, I need a good reason to upgrade. And if companies like Samsung or HTC can come out with a zillion phones a year of all shapes, sizes, and resolutions, Apple can surely give us one. If they can't, well hello Nexus Prime.

not trying to be a dick but maybe you should just move on to another device anyways. i think i am justified in saying that after reading your posts for a while you obviously are not happy with the iPhone. in fact, i cannot remember the last time i saw you say something positive about the iPhone

how about this; name 5 things you do like. prove to me why you still have one (not that you have to)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
not trying to be a dick but maybe you should just move on to another device anyways. i think i am justified in saying that after reading your posts for a while you obviously are not happy with the iPhone. in fact, i cannot remember the last time i saw you say something positive about the iPhone

how about this; name 5 things you do like. prove to me why you still have one (not that you have to)

When did I say I wasn't happy with it? I said I'm not happy with these rumored 4s specs, there's quite a difference. If the next iPhone is not much different, why should I buy one? I already have a 4, I'm not a blind fanboy, I like buying the best stuff no matter what it might be for my money. If Apple can't deliver this time and someone else does then I might just buy something else, not like it really matters anyway, it's just a cell phone!

I absolutely love my iPhone 4, I don't need to prove anything, like I said, to be worth upgrading, a phone is going to to have to be a large step up from the iPhone 4.
The biggest issue I have is I'm finding more and more apps and websites that have seemed to outgrow the 3.5" screen, which is why I'm hoping Apple goes with something a bit bigger. That and the fact that my job would be greatly served by me having a phone with a notification light. And then there's the whole phone call thing, which the iPhone has never been really good at, the speaker phone is nearly useless, and I can't hear people unless I'm in nearly total quiet. Why do the speakers on other phones seem to be much much louder? And then there's the whole antenna thing, they need to redesign the phone for that reason alone.

There are millions of people like me out there, balls in Apple's court.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty much locked into upgrading as I need to test the new hardware for work. Not always right at launch, but usually shortly after. As soon as the vendors stop selling new iPhone4's.

JeremyHD

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I anticipate that most people who voted "yes" won't be getting the iPhone 5..

It always depends on what happens and what they want.

They say yes now, but when they see what it looks like and it's features they might not get it (their personal preference).

I just chose "maybe" because I'd like to see what it will look like and include.

tikishark

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hell Yeah!

I've had my 3GS for over 2 years and have resisted my urge to upgrade to an iPhone 4 or switch to Android. I've been patient and completely loyal to Apple even after I heard the news in March there would be no new iPhone at WWDC. I've waited long enough. The iPhone 5 is my gift for patience and come hell or high water. I'm getting a new iPhone. :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I anticipate that most people who voted "yes" won't be getting the iPhone 5..

It always depends on what happens and what they want.

They say yes now, but when they see what it looks like and it's features they might not get it (their personal preference).

I just chose "maybe" because I'd like to see what it will look like and include.

I was going to get the iPhone 5, but I'm not going to wait a few more months for it. I'll get the the Samsung Galaxy S2 on Oct. 2nd and see what Apple says at the announcement.

camaro_87

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
leaving my blackberry and gettign an iphone!!!! was gonna get a iphone 4 untill i heard that a new one is suppose to be coming in a couple weeks... so whatever th enew is im getting it!! can't wait. tired of blackberrys lol

Knoidea513

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah with that samsung galaxy 2 epic 4g i was playing with at sprint with the 4.5 inch screen.. i hope iphone is this size...lol or 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR