News articles & reviews changing to ads, e.g., USB microphones

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a disturbing trend with iMore: beginning with the whole Pokemon GO trend, iMore is publishing more and more non-Apple, niche game or gadget articles (how many Nitendo Switch articles have there been, say, in just the last year?!).

Not only that, but genuine, independent reviews and shootouts are being crowded out by "fake reviews" (sorry, couldn't resist) that are really affiliate ads.

For example, a recent update of the "best" USB microphones for Mac article is only an ad. What do I mean by that? Well, this trend would be more tolerable if you allowed COMMENTS! But comments are not available on many of these affiliate-type articles where readers could be very helpful to other readers on the topic at hand.

I wanted to add this article to the USB mic ad to help readers choose a mic: [redacted]

It's a nice shootout with comparison audio files to listen to. Would be nice to see shootouts return to iMore...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: News articles & reviews changing to ads, e.g., USB microphones

iMore has shifted from a strictly Apple site (remembering the TiPb days) to a shmorgishborg of tech-related stuff. It’s unfortunate considering other platforms have dedicated communities (Android Central, Windows Central, CrackBerry, etc.) yet we Apple fans have to settle for watered down content on iMore. It’s all about ad revenue. When Pokémon Go was released Rene decided to publish a few articles and noticed site visits shot through the roof (this is not insider info; Rene admitted it publicly on the iMore Show).
Thank you for your feedback nonetheless. I feel your pain!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iMore is doing what it needs to do monetarily. As for you, are you not employing the typical tactic of vilifying the opponent before introducing whatever it is you want everyone to see?

You want to advertise a specific article. Did you get permission to advertise it?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I see iMore as a good source of Apple hardware and software with a lot of general tech and fads that is maybe a little bit Reverent to the main focus of the Apple Empire “The iPhone” so if I can tie something in anyway that’s the main reason members and guess come here than I don’t have a problem with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacker