News app won't go beyond Welcome screen

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
On both my iPhone and iPad, the News app sits at the 'Welcome to News' screen, but is stuck with a spinning wheel at the bottom and won't progress beyond it. However, if I swipe over to Spotlight and click on a news article in there, it will launch in the News app just fine, however when I go back within the News app from the article, it goes back to the Welcome screen and gets stuck again. It seems that the initial Welcome screen is stuck. The usual fixes of rebooting, etc, haven't helped. Anyone else run into this?

FrankRow

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
This has been happening to me as well. I've had to close out the app through multitasking and reload it then it would work. I think it's a bug in the app. I've also tried reducing the number of news channels I follow to help load time but it still does it. Hopefully, they improve the app in the next release.

Motohunter

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I have tried that. It is stuck on both iPhone 6 and iPad Mini. I think it has something to do with my iCloud login, but haven't figured out how to fixit.

I guess I have a trip to the Apple Store Genius Bar in my future.

maparu

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Were you able to get this resolved by Apple? I'm having the same issue. I get the spinning loader at the bottom of the welcome screen but no access to news. I can only access it by swiping left or down from the main screen as you identified you could.

smk_linefelter

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

Did you ever get this fixed? The way you describe your problem is the exact same thing I'm going through and I still don't have it fixed.

App won't get past the spinnning wheel
App won't work on either my iPad or my iPhone
Oftentimes the app asks me to sign into iCloud (again) but then nothing happens

Any luck?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My News app was being finicky until I installed the 9.1 beta. Works like a charm now. The only thing I've heard may fix it aside from installing prerelease software is doing a clean install.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I have the exact same issue with the News app and as you guys said it is something about icloud login. I just updated to iOS 9.1 and it is still bad. It also keeps asking me for icloud password several times throughout the day, even if I enter my password. The only way for the News app to work I figured is not to have it syncing with icloud in icloud settings. This way it will work but I guess it will still keep asking for icloud password. I opened a thread about the same issue when we got iOS 9 with no fix identified. If someone finds a fix for this issue please post it here. Many thanks.

trytryagain

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. Tried a combination of above. Went to settings, selected iCloud tab, turned off the News button.
I then relaunched the News app and it came up with the login page and asked me to log in to iCloud. It worked after I did this. I chose a stack of news sources and hey presto. Not sure if this will stick, but it works for now. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox