New to iMore and IOS

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello Folks I am just about to pull the trigger on a 6s Never used a Apple product before and have been with BlackBerry forever however cannot see a future there and the Android 's Never interested me so new to the Dark side and would appreciate any quick tips for setting up a brand new 6s .

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
New to I more and IOS

Welcome to iMore! Glad you have you aboard.
iOS is an easy operating system to become acclimated to but, as always, there's a learning curve. iMore has compiled a phenomenal guide to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. I suggest checking it out before getting your new phone and using it as a guide for setting it up and getting used to how it works.
http://m.imore.com/iphone-6s-ultimate-guide
Feel free to ask questions! We are eager to help.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: New to I more and IOS

Hello Folks I am just about to pull the trigger on a 6s Never used a Apple product before and have been with BlackBerry forever however cannot see a future there and the Android 's Never interested me so new to the Dark side and would appreciate any quick tips for setting up a brand new 6s .

Welcome! BlackBerry user here too. And Android. I've been acclimating to iOS for a year-and-a-half or so now.

Tips you say? Hmmm, well if you use Gmail, you'll find it no longer arrives to your Mailbox immediately. The workaround I use is to set up your icloud.com email address and forward your gmail to it. So when setting up your Google accounts on the iPhone, turn OFF email for your Google account... just sync everything else like Calendar, Contacts, etc. Let your icloud account get your Gmail and it'll arrive (almost) instantly.

Go into Settings, General, and turn OFF Background App Refresh. It's a nice convenience, but is generally not necessary and tends to eat up battery life.

Also in Settings, Privacy, Location Services... review your settings in there. Anything set to Always will also use battery. Most can be set to While Using. Don't forget to scroll all the way down and look at System Services too.

Explore Settings, Notifications. You can't quite make it a BlackBerry, but at least Messages can repeat alerts for 20 minutes if you miss someone texting you. And oddly, as much as I loved the Notification shade in android, I never use it on my iPhone. I send nearly everything to the Lock Screen and use that instead, as you can dismiss or Mark As Read emails right there.

Settings, Do Not Disturb so you can get some sleep ;)

Just some thoughts.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Go into Settings, General, and turn OFF Background App Refresh. It's a nice convenience, but is generally not necessary and tends to eat up battery life.

There are arguments for and against background app refresh. Many argue that Apple has made the feature much more efficient than it originally was with iOS 7, and that turning it off only makes loading apps less convenient. Personally I turn it off for certain battery-hungry apps and swipe them out of multitasking when I'm not using them. Unless you're experiencing battery life issues I wouldn't mess with it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

There are arguments for and against background app refresh. Many argue that Apple has made the feature much more efficient than it originally was with iOS 7, and that turning it off only makes loading apps less convenient. Personally I turn it off for certain battery-hungry apps and swipe them out of multitasking when I'm not using them. Unless you're experiencing battery life issues I wouldn't mess with it.

Turning it off for battery hungry apps does not stop the battery hungry app from running in the background. Just less efficiently.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Turning it off for battery hungry apps does not stop the battery hungry app from running in the background. Just less efficiently.

If background app refresh is turned off for an app and it's swiped out of multitasking how is it using up battery?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

"Use Background App Refresh

After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren?t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.
If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again."

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Hello! Welcome to iMore.com.

As Moderator Team Leader I hope all your questions are answered in the forums. We have a tremendous user-base that is very helpful and knowledgeable. If you need anything, please reach out to me.

Thanks and again glad to have you here

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to iMore. I'm another former BlackBerry user. We look forward to reading your posts. Enjoy your 6s!

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for all the tips and welcome's I am not quite there yet with the 6S Rogers had them on sale for a while but now they are back up in price maybe after the Apple event soon they will come down again or maybe just call them and whine . :tongue:

nappalonia

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

Welcome! I see a lot of blackberry users migrating to iPhone after BB's decision to go Android, myself included :cool: I must admit the first couple weeks was kind of frustrating to learn a new OS, but I hung in and the shortcuts that Just_Me_D posted really helped a lot, so please check them out.

Intense Soul

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

I started with a used Palm, Nokia, BlackBerry (2007 early-mid 2015), transformation happened when they said android. I took iPhone 6+ but i gave up and tried passport again. Then I moved back to 6S+ this time. No regrets. I am happy as I use the itunes and everything syncs over wireless that is good sign. I never had issues. contacts never messed on this iOS as even now, contacts are messed up by BB10. They just cant stay anymore.

Welcome! I see a lot of blackberry users migrating to iPhone after BB's decision to go Android, myself included :cool: I must admit the first couple weeks was kind of frustrating to learn a new OS, but I hung in and the shortcuts that Just_Me_D posted really helped a lot, so please check them out.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Tips you say? Hmmm, well if you use Gmail, you'll find it no longer arrives to your Mailbox immediately. The workaround I use is to set up your icloud.com email address and forward your gmail to it. So when setting up your Google accounts on the iPhone, turn OFF email for your Google account... just sync everything else like Calendar, Contacts, etc. Let your icloud account get your Gmail and it'll arrive (almost) instantly.

This explains ALOT..... I have been using iOS for awhile now.

Devilsden

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to Imore, it is a great site with a lot of great people. They were all helpful in me transitioning back to Apple after I tried Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice