New iMac Owner -- Anti-Virus?

OMMBoy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, All!

So, I'm a new iMac owner and am absolutely loving my new computer! It's my first time on OS X and there is much to learn, which makes me wonder: do I need, or should I purchase, anti-virus software? How many of you use a/v software on your Macs? How often have your Macs caught a virus? And how bad/damaging was that virus?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Chris

col_bris

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Virus protection is not required on Mac OS platform It is a total waste of money to install it. I have more than 400 clients with multiple Macs whom have never installed any virus protection

Relax and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, All!

So, I'm a new iMac owner and am absolutely loving my new computer! It's my first time on OS X and there is much to learn, which makes me wonder: do I need, or should I purchase, anti-virus software? How many of you use a/v software on your Macs? How often have your Macs caught a virus? And how bad/damaging was that virus?

Chris

It's simply not a needed function, and to be honest, in my opinion, i feel that anti-virus software is the CAUSE of many of the woes Window's based PC users experience on their machines during ownership...I've had a Mac in some fashion for the last 8 years or so, and I've never had a virus and thus, no need for an anti-virus software. I have OmniDisk Sweeper as a way of tidying up my drives just because it makes isolating usages much easier, but even there, it's not really necessary and i only got it because it was an app that you usually had to pay for that was made free one weekend, i think i used it a couple of times in the year or so that I've had it.

Avoid the mind state that you need an anti-virus software, even if you're using a Windows based machine.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
AV not really needed. But do turn on the built in firewall. And practice safe-surfing; don't go to sketchy sites.

And welcome to the Mac. I switched about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I have installed ClamXav, but do not leave it running. I have launched it 3 times in 2 years to scan for problems and never found one. I totally agree with Karen's approach - use the builtin firewall and avoid sketchy sites. After switching to OS X in 2010, I have never looked back.

OMMBoy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, alrighty then! I guess I'll be saving my money and won't be installing any a/v software! With so many great comments ("Never needed one. Welcome to OS." LOL), and nobody having experienced any virus problems, you have all pretty much set my mind at ease.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

Chris

Fooey606

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, All!

Chris

I always check out this website before buying anti-virus software - Windows Mac | Just another WordPress site - My personal favourite is AVG because it does what it says and i like the fact that it's as unobtrusive as possible.

col_bris

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Virus protection is not needed on Mac OS platform. Total waste of time and money.
The same applies with iOS products.

Welcome to Apple
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
AV software is usually a virus in itself. It eats up resources. It takes control of your computer for periods of time.

The promise is it'll prevent other programs from doing the same. Yet, anyone programming a virus will account for the AV software prior to implementing their virus.

Avoid it, if you can, on Windows systems. Don't bother with it at all on OSX systems.

khobia2

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No need. Got our iMac in August and wondered the same thing. Most Apple sites including iMore said not to worry. So I didn't install any and no problems at all. Just loving the Apple ecosystem and this awesome desktop. Enjoy your new iMac.

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't need it for yourself, but if you exchange emails with Windows users, and are concerned about passing on viruses to them, it's wise to scan your email.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OP, I totally disagree with a lot of these replies.

You do need anti-virus. I know of 2 different people who have had their Macs pretty much ruined by viruses. Every computer can get viruses, and to suggest otherwise is irresponsible and not really honest.

Please, for your own sake, protect yourself.

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes get one anyone who says the contrary doesn't really know what they are talking about, if money is an issue for the av software Sophos provides a free client that works very well, I've had a few end users who's macs have had extensions that reroute traffic to other sites such as mackeeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods