New AT&T unlocking policy coming soon.

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently under contract using an iPhone 4S. I wanted to unlock my
phone and the only option, believe it or not, was to cancel my service
pay the early termination fee and move to another carrier then get the
unlock. Or cancel, unlock and restart my service.

I decided to go straight to the top found the email of Randall Stephenson. I'm guessing he got it because he had his office contact me.

After a conversation with Kelly in the office of the Pres. AT&T are Allowing me to buy out of my contract and unlock my iPhone 4S and remain a customer.

Not only that they are now going to change their policy to allow all
current customers under contract to pay their early termination fee, remain as a customer and unlock their current iPhone. Great for travelers.

She is drafting the guidelines as I type this message and she will
send it to customer service for disbursement among the departments.

So thank you Kelly Stewart with the office of the president. I really appreciate your understanding and willingness to keep loyal customers.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently under contract using an iPhone 4S. I wanted to unlock my
phone and the only option, believe it or not, was to cancel my service
pay the early termination fee and move to another carrier then get the
unlock. Or cancel, unlock and restart my service.

I decided to go straight to the top found the email of Randall Stephenson. I'm guessing he got it because he had his office contact me.

After a conversation with Kelly in the office of the Pres. AT&T are Allowing me to buy out of my contract and unlock my iPhone 4S and remain a customer.

Not only that they are now going to change their policy to allow all
current customers under contract to pay their early termination fee, remain as a customer and unlock their current iPhone. Great for travelers.

She is drafting the guidelines as I type this message and she will
send it to customer service for disbursement among the departments.

So thank you Kelly Stewart with the office of the president. I really appreciate your understanding and willingness to keep loyal customers.

Frankly, I don't really see this benefiting anybody but AT&T. Not a positive from my point of view.

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree it will not benefit very many people. People that travel frequently and want to avoid international roaming rates would be the only people I see taking advantage of this.

On the other hand you could buy the iPhone 4S for 199, pay the 325 early termination fee and get a cheap unlocked iPhone.

Remember that T-Mobile are also upgrading their network to HSPA plus 1900mhz this year, so an unlocked iPhone will work on their 3G.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow... how nice of them to take your etf, and do something they should do for free for the goodwill it would create in the customer base... smh.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Why not just unlock for free ?? Keep your contract if you switch service you will pay the etf anyways

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm traveling soon so it made sense for me. I doubt many people will fall into this category but there will now be an option for them if they do.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm traveling soon so it made sense for me. I doubt many people will fall into this category but there will now be an option for them if they do.

I can't for the life of me understanding up to $375 to get my phone unlocked... plain and simple... but if it works for you...

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

Hey, options are options and options are good! Congratulations.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't for the life of me understanding up to $375 to get my phone unlocked... plain and simple... but if it works for you...

I can see that. I was already in my contract so my ETF had dropped a little, it wasn't too painful. Now I can travel on a budget and when I get back I'm no longer in a contract so when tmobile finish their 1900mhz revamp in my area, which will support the iPhones 3G, I can switch and save $45 per month as well.

Not for everyone mind you.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can see that. I was already in my contract so my ETF had dropped a little, it wasn't too painful. Now I can travel on a budget and when I get back I'm no longer in a contract so when tmobile finish their 1900mhz revamp in my area, which will support the iPhones 3G, I can switch and save $45 per month as well.

Not for everyone mind you.

Totally understood...

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get my 4S unlocked. Did the online chat and the lady said it would be around May 4 I believe. I went to the IMEI site and checked and it said it was unlocked. Plugged it into iTunes and restored as new and got the Congratulations screen. Never did get the email from them though.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I was able to get my 4S unlocked. Did the online chat and the lady said it would be around May 4 I believe. I went to the IMEI site and checked and it said it was unlocked. Plugged it into iTunes and restored as new and got the Congratulations screen. Never did get the email from them though.

What IMEI site?