New Air or New pro?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
what is the big differences of the 2?
what one would hold up better in the long run?
Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sure that you will find the help you're looking for. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

I've deleted your other post, since it was a duplicate to this post.

As for your question, I would probably go with an iPad Air, because it's more affordable.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Both models are built well and have a similar form factor so what it boils down to, in my opinion, is what is your use case and how much are you willing to spend? Either device should last you years.

Last edited:

Gracelynn2020

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sure that you will find the help you're looking for. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

I've deleted your other post, since it was a duplicate to this post.

As for your question, I would probably go with an iPad Air, because it's more affordable.

But really they aren’t ? Isn’t the air only 64gb then to up to 128 about the same price?

WP7Nettwerk

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I’d say always there will be difference in hardware not most in design. So how much important is hardware?
iPad Pro has little bit older processor but GPU is much better. iPad Pro comes with 6Gb RAM, which will improve productivity in long term. Yes I know iPadOS is very well optimised and it will work very well on iPad Air with 4Gb RAM.
What I love on iPad Pro it has 4 speakers. SO damn good. Not perfect than on MacBook Pro 16”. And last what I think what you prefer - face id or touch id? Face ID is cool feature on iPad Pro but anyway on purchase things you need to double press power button. In that position touch id will be better.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If I were purchasing a new iPad today, as I said before, I would go with the Air. This is because I use the iPad for surfing the web, dealing with email, playing a few games, and streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. If I were going to be using it for other things, I would consider the Pro.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I am trying to make the same decision myself (well, actually I already decided).

Apple has a good comparison tool here, with the new iPad Pro just announced: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#mn_p

But, to highlight the differences:

- The new Pro uses the M1 processor, the Air uses the A14. Both are based on the same design, though I think that the M1 has some more graphical power. Both are very powerful and will be useful for years.

- The Pro has better cameras, both front and back

- It's possible that Apple will announce some software features for the Pro that will not be available on the Air in a future update of iPad OS, but I really doubt that this is likely.

- The cellular Pro model has 5G and LTE while the Air is LTE.

- The display of the 11" Pro and the Air are essentially the same. The Pro is slightly bigger (about 0.1" diagonal) and can be slightly brighter, and also supports what Apple calls "Pro-Motion", which means that Apple Pencil interactions and scrolling should seem smoother.

- Storage configurations are a little different. The Air comes in 64 GB and 256 GB only, while the Pro is 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB, and 2 TB. The models with 256 GB and less have 8 GB of RAM, while the higher-storage models have 16 GB of RAM. Apple doesn't say how much RAM the Air has, but I believe that I've read that it is 4 GB. (This is one of the reasons why I think it ay be possible for the Pro to have some more powerful features in the future, such as perhaps windowed multi-tasking.)

- The price of the Pro at the same storage config (256 GB) is $150 higher for WiFi only and $220 higher for Cellular (which is what I am going to get myself). Higher cost difference of cellular because of 5G probably.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
The air can do a lot. It is as good as the pro in my opinion. I have had a pro. I now have the air and it’s great.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve just taken advantage of Best Buy’s Labor Day sales and have ordered a 4th Gen blue iPad Air. It’s due here mid week, and I can’t wait.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I’ve just taken advantage of Best Buy’s Labor Day sales and have ordered a 4th Gen blue iPad Air. It’s due here mid week, and I can’t wait.

What sort of offer did Best Buy have on the Air? I really wanted to pick one up and totally missed the boat on this.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It was the Labor Day promotion. I got $100 off!

That's pretty good. I think i'm going to use the Apple Upgrade Program or Apple monthly instalments and chop my 11 Pro Max in for a 13 Pro Max and my iPad 9.7" in for a new iPad Air. I have $1000 gift in an account waiting for the iPhone launch next week, plus the money i'd get from my iPhone and my iPad trade ins should mean I only pay a couple of hundred of my own money.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That's pretty good. I think i'm going to use the Apple Upgrade Program or Apple monthly instalments and chop my 11 Pro Max in for a 13 Pro Max and my iPad 9.7" in for a new iPad Air. I have $1000 gift in an account waiting for the iPhone launch next week, plus the money i'd get from my iPhone and my iPad trade ins should mean I only pay a couple of hundred of my own money.

You’re going to have such fun shopping!