Netflix will have ads in 'the next year or two' to arrest subscriber exodus

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Netflix may stop the bleeding with ads, however, if they raise those rates again, they will lose me and no lower tier ad-based model will not cause me to return. Then again, if they only showed the ads before and after a show/movie then I might reconsider.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Netflix may stop the bleeding with ads, however, if they raise those rates again, they will lose me and no lower tier ad-based model will not cause me to return. Then again, if they only showed the ads before and after a show/movie then I might reconsider.
Agreed. I like the service but don’t watch enough of the stuff I add to my list to warrant sticking through another price hike.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I feel the same exact way.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I understand the price increases to an extent. In the beginning, Netflix was just streaming other peoples content. Now they are producing their own content. Actors,production etc. has to get paid. With all of that being said, I am contemplating cancelling all of my streaming services for 6 months just to see if I get get by on Prime Video alone. I don't watch as much TV during the warmer months and Prime Video is not an additional fee as it's included in Prime memberships.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand the price increases to an extent. In the beginning, Netflix was just streaming other peoples content. Now they are producing their own content. Actors,production etc. has to get paid. With all of that being said, I am contemplating cancelling all of my streaming services for 6 months just to see if I get get by on Prime Video alone. I don't watch as much TV during the warmer months and Prime Video is not an additional fee as it's included in Prime memberships.

Like you, I understand the price increase to an extent and I appreciate them producing their own content, but there’s a limit to my appreciation… :) The pandemic helped the streaming business and they’re trying to milk it for all they can. On the other hand, more companies were hurt by the pandemic and they’ve increased prices trying to make up for the lost revenue. Consumers are really feeling the squeeze right now and many are starting to cut services.

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I only subscribe to Netflix when I want to watch something that only is there. When I'm done, I cancel it. If they put ads in this equation, probably I'll stop signing it altogether, and I think I'm not the only one. To pay and, still, see ads? No thanks!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I only subscribe to Netflix when I want to watch something that only is there. When I'm done, I cancel it. If they put ads in this equation, probably I'll stop signing it altogether, and I think I'm not the only one. To pay and, still, see ads? No thanks!

I've been doing that (subscribing only when I want to watch something) with Netflix as well. This helps me justify subscribing to Hulu, Peacock and a couple of others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh