Nest Thermostat opinions, please

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
We are in the market for a new furnace and A/C, and are currently getting a fair number of estimates. 2 so far, 4 more scheduled in a week. Of the 2 I've talked to so far 1 poo-pooed it, saying they've gotten notices from distributers that units need to be rest manually (take off, put back on) often. The other said it's OK, but they do a lot of Honeywell wifi ones work great with their units, implying the Nest won't be able to take advantage like the Honeywell will.

Does anybody have experience with the Nest, one way or the other?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
There is a Nest controller in the place I stay in in Los Angeles and it's brilliant. I can control it from my iPad or iPhone and it's not missed a beat yet, no matter whether I need it hot or cold. It's quick to respond to my commands and so far has worked really well.

Navmacs

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Self-installed two on fairly old heat pumps. Couldn't have been easier. No issues in nearly two years of using them. Older house, so have had both heat pumps replaced in that time. One installer wasn't at all familiar with the Nest, but Nest's tech support helped me make sure he had it set correctly for the new unit. The other installer was a local Nest affiliate, so no issues with that one.