need help setting up a new phone

katelynsierra12316

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
my iPhone 6 plus recently quit on me. I cant get it to start up at all. it only shows the apple logo. having said that I have to use an old family phone, an iPhone 4. I'm trying to enter my apple id into the icloud but it says I have to put in a verification code in with my password. problem is, it tells me I have to get that verification code from my other devices.. my only device is my iPhone 6. so theres no getting the code. how do I add my iPhone 4 to my icloud so I can use it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
my iPhone 6 plus recently quit on me. I cant get it to start up at all. it only shows the apple logo. having said that I have to use an old family phone, an iPhone 4. I'm trying to enter my apple id into the icloud but it says I have to put in a verification code in with my password. problem is, it tells me I have to get that verification code from my other devices.. my only device is my iPhone 6. so theres no getting the code. how do I add my iPhone 4 to my icloud so I can use it?

When you setup two-step verification, the process should have presented you with a recovery code or the ability to create one. You will need that recovery key to proceed in this situation, if I’m not mistaken.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is already activated on your account, you should see the “Text me the code” option during the Two Step Verification process. This will send the code to you via text and your phone should auto detect it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It may not say, “Text Me The Code”. I’m going off of memory here and it’s been a while since I’ve done it. It may be a variant of that or “Didn’t get code” or something similar. Typically it’s on the screen where you’d enter the code that was displayed on another device.