Need advice... Yet another which Macbook Air or Pro question...

I

iMore Question

All,

I am looking for some advice here. I have been using Apple products since early 2009. I have a late 2008 15" Macbook Pro, Ipad 2, Ipad Air, Apple TV and a Iphone 4s. I had a Iphone 5s for a while but returned it. I could not justify keeping it since I bought it outright in order to keep my unlimited data plan at Verizon.

I do like the Ipads but to be honest I spend most of my time on the Macbook Pro. I like the Ipad for watching video, surfing the web and reading books. I gave my mom my Ipad2 so we could Facetime with her. I bought the Air to replace the Ipad 2.

I am still debating whether to replace my Macbook Pro. It still works perfectly with the exception of the swollen battery issue including poor battery life. I could replace the battery but never got around to it. It has some dents on it but otherwise works well. I have maxed out the RAM at 8GB plus I have installed a 750 GB hard drive as well. I know I could throw in a SSD drive plus remove the superdrive in order to retain my mechanical drive too.

I am debating returning the Ipad Air to get either a Macbook Air or another Macbook Pro w/ Retina display. I do like the expand-ability of the last generation (non-retina) Macbook Pros which is probably why I have been able to keep mine so long without an issue. I would like to get another Apple laptop but can't seem to decide on which model to get. I really do want something more portable than what I have now.

I don't see how I can get rid of my current Macbook Pro since I am able to store everything on it without the need for a portable drive. If I get an Air or Retina Pro I will have an issue with storage.

What to do?

1) Return Ipad Air and get a 11" or 13" Macbook Air while keeping my current Macbook Pro?
2) Return Ipad Air and get a 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina display while keeping my current Macbook Pro?
3) Keep Ipad Air and get a 11" or 13" Macbook Air while keeping my current Macbook Pro?
4) Keep Ipad Air and get a 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina display while keeping my current Macbook Pro?
5) Keep Ipad Air and get a 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina display and get rid of my old Macbook Pro?
6) Keep Ipad Air and forget about a Macbook Air or Pro w/ Retina display. Deal with my current heavier machine and install a SSD while retaining my 750 GB HDD?

Thoughts?

Btw, I do like the Ipad Mini but my vision is not the greatest hence I leaned towards the Ipad Air.

Marvin Uche

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I think you should choose (3). No matter how much people have said that an iPad and a Macbook air do the same thing, they do not do the same thing the same way to me..they have different experiences and each has their advantage over the other.Keep your Macbook pro, you would probably use it as a backup computer but I can bet that you will use it less when you get the air and even let it go eventually.

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Any preference with the 11" vs 13" Macbook Air? I am thinking 13" Macbook Air. Also, any reason why I should not consider the 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina display if choosing a 13" over a 11" size?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
iPads and MacBooks do a lot of things similarly but to me they are ultimately different devices. The Macbook's ability to use a windowed desktop environment with an integrated keyboard makes it much more of a productivity device while the iPad's user friendliness and portability make it more of a content consumption device. Before you make a decision on what kind of tech to go with, think about how you are going to be using your machines and what you want them to do. They are both amazing machines that can do a lot of the same things but if one is just sitting on a desk collecting dust because you don't really need it, that's money wasted. Or if you have to go out and buy the other because what you have isn't working, that's extra money you're spending.

For me, the Macbook Air is not really worth the money. I don't need that much computer as my portable option because I have a great desktop setup in my Mac Mini and its rare that I need that much when I am away from home (that's why I use a chromebook). If you're leaving your old Macbook Pro on the desk, you could be in the same situation. You might find that a simple BT keyboard and stand is all you need to get work done on your iPad. If you're traveling a lot and need to use a lot of different desktop apps or do a lot of multi-tasking, then the MBA is probably well worth the money.

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
The reality

Sorry hit send by accident. The reality is that i really do like the iPad for what i use it for. However it will never replace my need for a laptop for many of the same reasons that others have stated above. I will keep it i just need to figure out very quickly whether or not I will exchange my 16GB for a 32GB but that is another topic.

Do I travel a lot? No but I spend a considerable amount of time away from my house throughout the week. To this date I have carried my current Macbook Pro everywhere if needed. It would have a perfect exterior if I did not slip on ice a year ago and dent one of the corners. It still does work so thats a non issue.

I will really be considering the 13" Air. Btw, is it worth while to replace my current Macbook Pro battery due to the swelling and short battery life? If so, do you guys recommend a Apple battery or an aftermarket one? If aftermarket, where?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2