Need advice on how I should "buy" the iPhone 6

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so I've got a bit of a dilemma...

I just checked Apple's website for upgrade eligibility, and I won't be eligible for an early upgrade until 9/21/14, since I got the 5s on launch a year earlier. However, if the rumors are true and the phone releases on the 19th, I won't be eligible for an early upgrade until two days later, which by then, most of the iPhones will have probably sold out.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that I'm going to buy/pre-order the phone on launch (yes, I know two days is practically nothing, but I'm extremely impatient with these launches).

That got me thinking about upgrade options. If I were to wait until the 21st, that would cost me $549 (if I bought the "middle" storage option, whether it be the 32 or 64 with the iPhone 6), and then when/if I upgrade to the 6s, it'd be another $549, coming out to $1100.

If I were to buy the phone outright at $749, I'd be eligible for a full upgrade for the 6s at $299, which comes to a total of $1050, saving me $50. I was going to go for this, until I read somewhere that Apple doesn't allow purchasing an unlocked, off-contract iPhone until a month or so after release.

I could also buy it full-priced at $749 while also signing a new two-year contract, which seems like the likely scenario.

Then I started doing some research on AT&T Next. I've heard bad things about it, but thought it might be worth a look, in my case, since I tend to buy each iteration of the iPhone every year. After doing some math, I also would not be able to purchase the iPhone 6 for anything less than $749 on launch, unless I used AT&T Next.

So my question is which option would be my best? Any thoughts on AT&T Next for me? The best option would probably be waiting until the 21st, but I would really like to have it on or near launch.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough!

TL;DR Basically I can't get the iPhone 6 for anything less than $749 at launch. Is AT&T Next worth it then?

P.S. I've heard AT&T adjusts their early upgrade dates to match the release date of new iPhones. Is that true?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As far as the Next plan goes, if you upgrade each year, you give up the old phone. AT&T will keep it and sell it as a refurb for $600 or whatever. That's money out of your pocket. I'm not a fan if Next and Verizon's Edge. I'm sticking to Verizon's More Everything Plan for my 4 phones.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you can buy a device outright, buy the phone outright. The AT&T Next program is pretty hilarious to me...the fact that you don't actually own the phone just seems odd.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you can buy a device outright, buy the phone outright. The AT&T Next program is pretty hilarious to me...the fact that you don't actually own the phone just seems odd.

Yup. It's essentially leasing a phone which I find to be hilarious to every extreme.

OP, if you can buy that thing outright, just buy it outright like Sean said. There isn't a downside to it. Plus, if you buy it outright, it'll come unlocked which is kind of cool if you wanted to sell it months down the line.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yup. It's essentially leasing a phone which I find to be hilarious to every extreme.

OP, if you can buy that thing outright, just buy it outright like Sean said. There isn't a downside to it. Plus, if you buy it outright, it'll come unlocked which is kind of cool if you wanted to sell it months down the line.

I would, but it isn't an option at iPhone launches, as far as I know. I may end up paying for the rest of the phone later on down the road when the 6s comes out, and then sell the 6 for $400-$500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would, but it isn't an option at iPhone launches, as far as I know. I may end up paying for the rest of the phone later on down the road when the 6s comes out, and then sell the 6 for $400-$500.

You can buy it at full price even if you're buying it for a carrier. It becomes unlocked anyway.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You can buy it at full price even if you're buying it for a carrier. It becomes unlocked anyway.

I know, but then I'd have to sign another 2-year contract, while still paying $749. And then I'd only be able to early upgrade next year at $549.

Since we have a 15 GB Mobile Share Value Plan, we keep our $25 per line monthly discount if we use Next, buy off-contract, or BYOD. So it seems like a good option for me. If AT&T moves the early upgrade date to reflect the iPhone's release, then I may consider that as an option as well. However, I'd lose the current $25 discount on my line.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know, but then I'd have to sign another 2-year contract, while still paying $749. And then I'd only be able to early upgrade next year at $549.

Since we have a 15 GB Mobile Share Value Plan, we keep our $25 per line monthly discount if we use Next, buy off-contract, or BYOD. So it seems like a good option for me. If AT&T moves the early upgrade date to reflect the iPhone's release, then I may consider that as an option as well. However, I'd lose the current $25 discount on my line.

Paying full price doesn't come with signing a 2-year contract.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

It does for me, since I'm not eligible for an early upgrade until 9/21. But I'm sure AT&T will move up the date to the iPhone launch.

So if I buy the phone at full retail, without choosing the contract-free option, I'm not signing up for another 2-year contract?

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to wait and see which option works out cheaper. For me to end my contract I'll have to pay ?350/ $580. I'll also want to get the highest capacity available (128/64) so in the end it might work out cheaper to just buy it outright. I'll have to see.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It does for me, since I'm not eligible for an early upgrade until 9/21. But I'm sure AT&T will move up the date to the iPhone launch.

So if I buy the phone at full retail, without choosing the contract-free option, I'm not signing up for another 2-year contract?

No. Paying the full retail price excludes you from signing a two-year contract. The incentive the carrier has in giving you a subsidized price on a phone or using the "Next" plan is that you sign a contract which is basically their insurance for if you cancel service with them and they can charge you the contract-break fee.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I think I understand what you're saying now.

Just so I'm clear:

Option 1: Buy iPhone 6 unlocked/contract and carrier free, A.K.A. BYOD. This may not be available at launch though, but we'll see.
Option 2: Buy iPhone 6 at full retail with AT&T (is this the same as buying outright?). Am I signing up for a new 2-year contract if I choose this?
Option 3: Use AT&T Next.

I'll have to wait and see which option works out cheaper. For me to end my contract I'll have to pay ?350/ $580. I'll also want to get the highest capacity available (128/64) so in the end it might work out cheaper to just buy it outright. I'll have to see.

Yeah I'm just going to wait until they announce pricing. I would like to buy it off-contract, unlocked, and carrier free, but I don't think that'll be an option at launch. Just gotta wait and see.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Option 2. Buy it outright through your AT&T account through Apple. No 2-year contract and the phone will actually come unlocked.

Oh yeah. For sure.

Thank you so much for your help. I was completely confused by the meaning of "buying outright." So basically, this means I'll get to keep my $25 MSVP discount, since I'm not signing up for a new 2-year contract.

What's the difference between buying outright, versus using Next and paying off the rest of the phone?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What's the difference between buying outright, versus using Next and paying off the rest of the phone?

Buying outright is a full, one-time payment. NEXT allows you to make payments on the full price. So in essence, AT&T makes it seem like they're doing you a favor by allowing payments.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apparently this guy is banned, so it doesn't really matter anymore...but honestly, reading through this, I was absolutely baffled by how oblivious a person could be to such a clear and defined idea as buying something "outright"...I figured this was a simple term, but apparently it was like brain surgery for some.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen