NC Settings is useless, Compared to SBSettings

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I use both... NC Settings to add twitter/FB/RSS feeds as well as weather info to my pulldown menu/screen.
SB settings for quick access to other 'toggles.'

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
He's just pointing out that for someone who wants to keep the toggles in the Notification Center, SBSettings' toggles are much bigger than NC Settings' toggles. Many people would prefer to use these from the NC instead of relegating an Activator action to the SBS drop down window. What you see as "similarly intrusive" he sees as SBS being "more intrusive." From a design standpoint, I agree.

You're using "much" rather liberally. There's room for another four apps worth of notifications before the dock. If his dock isn't accessible, there's room for six. From a design perspective, the loss of one app worth of notifications isn't an issue. If you need more than ten, you need to clear out a couple to begin with.

I understand everything is up to personal taste and interpretation. Yet, the two are similar. One offers more functionality without dragging your phone down. Why take the inferior product that brings the same cost?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Keep getting this error message when trying to access options. Any help?

Moderator Edit: Error message text: "Permissions Error - An ad blocking host file is installed. The app cannot run this way. Would you like to unlock the elements we need? (The app will need to be restarted after.) Buttons: Yes, Fix me. | No.

It would appear the app thinks you have adblock running.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You're using "much" rather liberally. There's room for another four apps worth of notifications before the dock. If his dock isn't accessible, there's room for six. From a design perspective, the loss of one app worth of notifications isn't an issue. If you need more than ten, you need to clear out a couple to begin with.

I understand everything is up to personal taste and interpretation. Yet, the two are similar. One offers more functionality without dragging your phone down. Why take the inferior product that brings the same cost?

Obviously, I don't think it's inferior. I actually have both on my device, but I use nc settings in my day to day use because I prefer its style, and although I keep sbsettings installed I have yet to find myself in a situation where I've had to use it. It's nice that it's there but why use it day to day if I enjoy a "similar" app more? The argument that "this does more so it's better" doesn't mean much to me.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The argument that it looks prettier, while ignoring you can change the look of sbsettings, makes absolutely no sense to me.

What gain do you see from running both over running a themed sbsettings?

What gain do you see from running ncsettings alone versus running a themed sbsettings?

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I use both, ncsettings in my nc, & some sbsettings assigned to activator actions. Btw is there a sbsettings for flashlight toggle that I can use with activator & that'll work with the screen off?

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Also, I think nicer looking, easier to set up, or more functional tweaks that continue to come out make the jailbreak experience better for plain Jane users no matter what they choose, & creates a market for developers. I think that this is a useless argument for for the sake of argument.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I use both, ncsettings in my nc, & some sbsettings assigned to activator actions. Btw is there a sbsettings for flashlight toggle that I can use with activator & that'll work with the screen off?

I haven't seen one in sbsettings. You can easily add one of the 8billion flashlight apps and set something like "hold both volume" to open the flashlight app?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The argument that it looks prettier, while ignoring you can change the look of sbsettings, makes absolutely no sense to me.

What gain do you see from running both over running a themed sbsettings?

What gain do you see from running ncsettings alone versus running a themed sbsettings?

Okay, I'll give my reasoning one last try. After that we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Sure, SBSettings can be themed; for a long time I used the K2 theme to make it seem as close to ISX-native as possible. To me, that has always been the best theme for sbs, and the one that best fits the notification center. But even at its best, it always looked clunky and out-of-place to me.

When NC Settings came out, it looked better even without theming, and it does 99.99% of anything I ever used SBSettings for. So I switched and put that in my NC, where I use it many times a day. I kept sbs in case I ever needed to use it for the rare time I absolutely had to, but it hasn't happened yet. Keeping an extra app is really no big deal—I have plenty that I hardly ever use (and some duplicate the functions of other apps I have) but I keep them on my device for a rainy day, and sbs is no different.

For me, design really IS important, and for an app I use dozens of times a day it's essential that I enjoy the look and feel of it. I get that with NC Settings and do not get it with SBSettings. And to me it makes absolutely no sense to use an app I enjoy less for 364 days of the year just so that, on the 365th day, I can use it to do one extra thing my preferred app does not.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Sbsettings is the one for me. Haven't tried nc and don't need too, but it is nice to have options.
View attachment 27003
I think it looks pretty good.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I downloaded ncsettings and it's sweet. Looks way better has all the toggles I need and then some. I'll still keep sbsettings for kill background (I use that so much I can't bear to part with it) and the free up memory feature (probably don't need it but nice to have). A simple hold clock activation and boom!... sbsettings and that's the only time I have to look at it.

Don't this look nice?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361317620.182467.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You could use weekillbackground, which lives in the nc. I keep it in the "top shelf" of Intelliscreenx so it's out of view unless I pull the nc down further than usual.

image.jpg

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
You could use weekillbackground, which lives in the nc. I keep it in the "top shelf" of Intelliscreenx so it's out of view unless I pull the nc down further than usual.

View attachment 27111

I like that idea but this is what I get when I try to download it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361377121.571346.jpg

Edit* I reloaded cydia and I got it to work. Still going to keep sbsettings for now but I like this weekillbackground option thanks!

Iamdunne

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Why do you have such a boner for it? How about letting people decide what they want to install on their own, without making things "mandatory", bundled with Cydia. There's another company that bundles some mostly unwanted things into their software... like a "Stocks" app, or a "Newsstand" one...

See, the whole REASON that the concept of jailbreaking became so popular was it allows an escape from the oppressive/controlling mentality that dictated what should and shouldn't be. I don't use SBSettings. I do use NCSettings. Why? Personally, I don't need all of the stuff that SBS offers. I don't care about changing my carrier string. I don't want to skin my notification center. I just want plain and simple toggles, nothing more. I know where I want them, and I don't need Activator gestures to get into the NC; I'm very used to the way I do it already (though I *could* set up those same gestures that you speak of with SBS? what, I'm sliding down/vertically instead of right/horizontally?)

So to answer your rather asinine question; different people have different preferences and they need/want different things. Ok, SBS can do a lot more things than NCS... cool.

Here's a thought: What use is "more" if I never use any of it?! It's called "bloat" at that point. I don't want all of the stuff that SBS offers? and never did, truly; so to me, NCS was awesome when it came out.

Thankfully, Jay/saurik nor evasi0n took it upon themselves to pre-install any unnecessary, resource consuming packages that not all of us want or need! Do you know why they refrained?

They're all extremely brilliant people. They understand things that you clearly do not. NGAF about your "fav mods and tweaks" and which of them you believe is "vastly superior" and should come pre-installed. Do you realize how stupid of an idea that is to begin with? To pre-install unnecessary mods/add-ons because "person X" thinks they're cool?

That's like the kind of software that comes with the AVG trial and the Bing toolbar, etc. Do you like it when installers pull that sneaky little move? Suppose they didn't give you the choice to opt out of installing their "favorite" (read: the company who is paying them the most) anti-virus, toolbar and registry cleaner? That's effectively what you're suggesting should be done.

Get out of here with that stupid BS. Your breath smells like ... it's bothering those of us who have a shred of common sense.

I can't believe I wasted my time actually responding to this. Sometimes ignorance just can't be ignored; especially when it's as flagrant and egregious as that nonsense.

Wow is about all I can say. Inflated ego perhaps? Forums are for opinions.