Mysterious new chime

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't know when it started, but my watch has a new sound it makes once per day. I guess I'd call it a chime. It's three different notes in rapid succession. Every time it makes that sound, I look at the watch and cannot determine any reason or pattern. It's not tied to a notification. It's not to signal the hour. It's not tied to some achievement. It seems utterly random. If I could predict it, I'd record it and post the sound. Alas, I cannot.

Are you getting this three-note chime? Any ideas on what it is?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know when it started, but my watch has a new sound it makes once per day. I guess I'd call it a chime. It's three different notes in rapid succession. Every time it makes that sound, I look at the watch and cannot determine any reason or pattern. It's not tied to a notification. It's not to signal the hour. It's not tied to some achievement. It seems utterly random. If I could predict it, I'd record it and post the sound. Alas, I cannot.

Could it be something related to foreign AirTags being found around you? Or it could be a notification from the Health app, those are the first two thoughts that come to mind.

I read this afternoon that phantom AirTag detections are going on right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Via your Watch, go to Settings→ Clock and then make sure “Chimes” is disabled.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Via your Watch, go to Settings→ Clock and then make sure “Chimes” is disabled.
Hey thanks "D" I was just the opposite and wanted an hourly chime, but never knew it existed. I've always wondered why that feature wasn't available on such an advanced product like the Watch. You've made me feel happy and stupid at the same time ... ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks "D" I was just the opposite and wanted an hourly chime, but never knew it existed. I've always wondered why that feature wasn't available on such an advanced product like the Watch. You've made me feel happy and stupid at the same time ... ;)

You’re very welcome and you are NOT stupid.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

What time does this happen?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Could it be something related to foreign AirTags being found around you? Or it could be a notification from the Health app, those are the first two thoughts that come to mind.

I read this afternoon that phantom AirTag detections are going on right now.

I can’t imagine it’s Air Tags because when it rings and I’m at home, there are no Air Tags in bluetooth range. I’ll check the Health app the next time it happens.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok. It JUST chimed (chime is really not an accurate description since it is three notes in rapid succession). Anyway,
5/7: Time 9.30 am, Rings: 650, 91, 6
5/8: Time 1223pm, Rings: 582, 67, 9
5/9: no chime today
5/10: Time 1108am, Rings: 798, 78, 7
5/11: Time 1135am, Rings: 745, 82, 7
5/12: Time 959am, Rings: 697,96,8

Nothing on the health app indicating a notification. And no notifications showing on the watch.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok. It JUST chimed (chime is really not an accurate description since it is three notes in rapid succession). Anyway,
Time: 9.30 am
Rings: 650 move, 91 exercise, 6 hours stand

Nothing on the health app indicating a notification. And no notifications showing on the watch.

And this happens around the same time every time?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And this happens around the same time every time?

If it’s in the morning then it might be the Mindfulness feature. In the Watch app settings, it can be set for “Start of Day” or “End of Day”.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Seems like in the past couple of months I’ve had my watch vibrate with an odd sound a couple of times but there’s never any notification, and it’s been when I’m typing on the keyboard or reading a book. And it’s not the “time to get up” or “breathe/meditate” notification.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Is no one else getting this sound???

I'm not. The only 3-time chime that I get is for the Critical notifications, which can be either Alert Ready 4G alerts (that can't be enabled or disabled), weather alerts, and server alerts (required by work).

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I have not had this sound on either of my Apple Watches. Have you by any chance downloaded an App that could be producing these chimes?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am not getting this either. I thought it might be a "Mindfulness" notification, but that chime doesn't sound like the one you've been getting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods