My Xbox One review...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had the system for about 2 weeks now, and I figured I'd do a bit of a review here for anyone that might be looking to pick one up over the Xmas holiday. So far this has been a very interesting experience, and I'll explain why I use the term "interesting" later on...

THE GOOD!...

- This system is extremely fast...in all aspects really. The system (at least in my case) stays on 24/7 (because it is connected to my cable box), but starting games, apps and videos/music is literally a split second effort. And that's just through the manual controls! The system also features hand gesture and vocal controls as well (we'll get to that in a minute). Switching between apps and games is seamless...and honestly, telling the Xbox to switch from a game to TV is pretty cool, especially since it cache's your game point on the Xbox, and you go right back to where you were in the game...no loading, no waiting...instantaneous. Multi-tasking has truly developed into an art form on this console.

- Xbox Live is still Xbox Live. It's still consistent, quick and reliable...and I have noticed that even right off the bat, you have a slew of free games for the Xbox...I've picked up Killer Instinct, a jet ski game for the Kinect and the Fitness program (which is very cool honestly, and completely free unless you want to download specific programs like Hip Hop Abs or any number of those informercials you see late at night/early in the morning). The fact that they improved the service over what it was before and still only charge the same amount is really awesome to me...I'm still just paying around $30-$35/year for a 12 month subscription.

- The games are GORGEOUS. Forza 5 is simply breathtaking. They've really enhanced the driving characteristics of the cars in it (especially the feel of weight transfer), but honestly, visually, that is where you'll really be impressed. These are pictures from my garage...no filters, no special effects, just a straight up pictures, and honestly, how they'll "improve" over these graphics is really beyond me now, this is so close to perfect I can't even imagine a higher level...

PcKFawY.jpg

U3WFX1b.jpg

...and it's not just details like that, while playing Battlefield 4 the other day, I noticed myself crouched down behind this shed waiting for a group of guys to run out into the open area...all of the sudden, a tropical storm hits the level we're playing on, and I'm being blown up against the side of the structure...at which point, the structure's roof collapses off and the rubble left over was SO DETAILED! I ended up dying because I was sitting there staring at it in awe...and a guy came and cut my throat, lol!

- Integration with my home theater system (including my Comcast HD cable and DVR). It's truly a marvel the way it works with this stuff...you walk into the room, and as creepy as it is, the Kinect will recognize you and initiate from sleep...a simple "Xbox, Watch TV" and bam, you're watching TV...ask it for something specific and there you go. Want to watch Monday Night Football, just ask! And not only can you watch TV, but you can split screen and play your games WHILE watching TV. I was playing Forza the other day while I had a minimal screen with one of the college football games on. It was pretty freakin' cool (though I can tell that this feature will need some polishing over the life of this console). I was apprehensive about this integrated TV thing, but after having it and using it for a couple of weeks, it's definitely a feature I'm glad to have.

- The new controller is awesome. Period. I loved the 360 controller. To me it felt like the perfect ergonomically designed setup for 99% of heavy use playing. They took that design, and they made the controller even more sensitive...this might sound like a downfall to some, but truly, it is a marvel in it's own right. You are used to playing games with the old controllers and this one almost requires you to RE-LEARN how to play, because it is optimized, and allows for a better range of control within the game. I can feel my car's tires breaking traction now through the responsible trigger...I can more precisely control the movement of my weapon or angles of objects thrown with the joysticks...and all the while, it remains comfortable in my hand.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
THE BAD!...

(I figured I'd split it up into two threads so it was easier to separate, since there is a lot of text)

- This might be just a personal opinion, but the Windows 8/tablet style "Tile System" is atrocious to me. I hate it. Finding things within the menus is not intuitive, there are not proper "shortcuts" anymore to see things like friends lists, party information or ways to get to current DL's (amongst other things). In their attempt to make the dashboard look "pretty", they also made it more cluttered, less user friendly and, to me, just a PITA all the way around.

- Having the system on all the time has a couple of issues (to me anyways)...one being the fact that given Microsofts history with console life longevity, this thing staying on 24/7 means it'll probably die a lot quicker than what a normal gaming system would (at least logic would tell me this)...also, having the Kinect watching your living room 24/7 presents a slew of issues (to some)...it literally watches the room it sees, and when you walk in, it recognizes you and responds by activating whatever menu or setting you have it set to...that is a bit creepy, even I can admit that, but honestly, I don't approach it from a paranoid stance, and I've got nothing to hide...if the thing wants to see me in my boxers on a Saturday morning, so be it...I could care less, lol.

- There is such a limited amount of release titles that it's almost humorous...but this isn't a problem specific to the Xbox One, it's really for all of the new gen systems (Xbone, PS4, Wii U). The titles out are solid, but truth be told, I would have really hoped that Destiny, Watch Dogs or a handful of the E3 highlights would have also made it's way to the release games. Now, seeing that almost all of those games are still quite a ways away, I'm just a bit confused as to what we'll have to cover the next 4-6 months!

- The requirement the system has to actually use an APP to play Blu-Ray discs. I mean yes, it's free...and no, it's not a large app that takes up much space...but why is it necessary? Why can't the Xbox One just PLAY the discs? Put one in and play! Seems a bit odd that it requires an app to use this function, since it's one of the main drives on the system. (small complaint, more of a curious oddity than anything else)

- System size. I mean come on...it's almost as big as my surround sound receiver, which takes up entirely too much room in my opinion. In the age of stream lined products, why is this thing the size and shape of a 1985 VCR? And on top of that, why is every accessible input located solely on the BACK? It seems like they had the system built, and just threw it in the first box shape object they found.

- Lack of support for Turtle Beach headsets. THIS might be my number one complaint about the system, because living in a condo building, I can't just crank my surround sound as loud as I want to at all hours of the night (and still remain civil with my neighbors, lol)...but i CAN blast my turtle beach headsets as loud as I want...the Xbox One and PS4 have not released an adaptor (or any new headsets for that matter) that make these things function fully with the console. It sucks...and once you're used to using them, not having them available is really the pits.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Final Thoughts!...

I have always been an early adopter. I like to have new toys and sometimes, this bites me in the a$$...(IE: HD-DVD, lol)...but this system, aside from a few annoyances, seems like a solid contender, the hardware seems perfectly capable of some truly amazing games...graphics are already proven, and in the end, with some polish, I think this Xbox will be a very heavy contender in the video game world. Right now? It needs some work...and it needs some options (games wise), but I don't regret buying it, and look forward to seeing it evolve over the next several years!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to be reviewing the PS4 too? And then comparing the two? I know you have some thoughts about the PS4 as well, and I was wondering which one you liked better and which one is better, period.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you going to be reviewing the PS4 too? And then comparing the two? I know you have some thoughts about the PS4 as well, and I was wondering which one you liked better and which one is better, period.

Well...I have to get a PS4 first, lol! I was supposed to get one last weekend, but I ended up spending that money on a nice necklace for my wife, so I'll have to wait a few more weeks. I will be getting one, but around Christmas, spending so much on gifts and crap, it felt a little silly to buy one right now (especially when there's really not anything on the PS4 that I'm dying to get that I can't get on the Xbox One...maybe Kill Zone, but I'm not clamoring for it really).

Very detailed and awesome review Sean, thank you sir!!

You're very welcome! I'll be updating it with future finds and reviews of updates...they just did a major update on the Xbox One but it didn't really change anything that I could find.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So this past weekend I completely removed my cable connection to the Xbox One. It's really a shame because the feature was one of the big selling points for Microsoft, but I have to be honest, it just didn't work very well (perhaps an update in the future will remedy this, and we can try it again). One of the biggest complaints I had about this part of the system was the fact that the cable did not work without the Xbox being on 24/7. I didn't mind it much really being on, but I found that it became laggy at times, and the cable seemed to freeze up quite often (something it NEVER did when it was simply directly connected to the TV from the DVR).

The system would also have very slow response when giving specific verbal commands...for instance, when you want to watch a specific channel, you say "Xbox, Watch FOX" (or whatever channel you want), and it switches to it...I found that it became less and less snappy with this command, and at times, would switch the cable box to the standard definition channel instead of the HD version...this made no sense to me (since I had it set to ignore standard definition channels in the options menu).

Ever since I removed the cable from the Xbox One, both the cable signal and the Xbox One seem to be running MUCH better...no more freeze ups, and no more lag on the system. I really think the Xbox One needs a major firmware update and hardware retuning through said update before these features work fluidly.

Early adopter problems, lol.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So this past weekend I completely removed my cable connection to the Xbox One. It's really a shame because the feature was one of the big selling points for Microsoft, but I have to be honest, it just didn't work very well (perhaps an update in the future will remedy this, and we can try it again). One of the biggest complaints I had about this part of the system was the fact that the cable did not work without the Xbox being on 24/7. I didn't mind it much really being on, but I found that it became laggy at times, and the cable seemed to freeze up quite often (something it NEVER did when it was simply directly connected to the TV from the DVR).

The system would also have very slow response when giving specific verbal commands...for instance, when you want to watch a specific channel, you say "Xbox, Watch FOX" (or whatever channel you want), and it switches to it...I found that it became less and less snappy with this command, and at times, would switch the cable box to the standard definition channel instead of the HD version...this made no sense to me (since I had it set to ignore standard definition channels in the options menu).

Ever since I removed the cable from the Xbox One, both the cable signal and the Xbox One seem to be running MUCH better...no more freeze ups, and no more lag on the system. I really think the Xbox One needs a major firmware update and hardware retuning through said update before these features work fluidly.

Early adopter problems, lol.

Anytime a game console is created to do more things than just game, and it ends up being far more unstable because of that, I usually stay away.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Crazy cool that car looked real world

I enjoyed your review and now understand the console lore that my brother is into

Laughed Out Loud at the cut my throat comment that was funny

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So many units of PS4 just arrived in my stores, and I m a few hundred short of getting one. The Killzone bundle really looks tempting, as is the Battlefield 4 one...so many things so little resources ...lol

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on release day, 12 am. Made a very long unboxing video and got to playing. No regrets getting my xbox one over the ps4 at launch. GT: mAAdtAi

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1390214915.560218.jpg

Great review Sean. Can't wait for the ps4 review.

So many units of PS4 just arrived in my stores

Where do you work? Can a fellow peer get a recommendation? Lol

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5s

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I need to spend some serious time on the PS4 to really get a review up.. So many games and so little time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I need to spend some serious time on the PS4 to really get a review up.. So many games and so little time.

I too need to actually put some time into my PS4...I think I've played KillZone like twice since I got it, lol. I haven't really played any of my systems lately, and I need to change that.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I too need to actually put some time into my PS4...I think I've played KillZone like twice since I got it, lol. I haven't really played any of my systems lately, and I need to change that.

Truth be told, there aren't many games released for the next gen systems too.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner