My wifi is connected but I am still using cellular data, what should I do?

khcass

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I actually am having the same problem. You see, I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and it may not be the newest, but it sure aint broke. I'll be connected to wifi, but 50 times a day I'll get "You've used 50%...75%...100% of your data tier and will be charged for the blah blah blah." I do have U.S. Cellular and I don't want to pay more than I have to.

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I actually am having the same problem. You see, I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and it may not be the newest, but it sure aint broke. I'll be connected to wifi, but 50 times a day I'll get "You've used 50%...75%...100% of your data tier and will be charged for the blah blah blah." I do have U.S. Cellular and I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Go into settings under cellular, tap on it and scroll to the bottom to make sure "wifi assist" is toggled off. This will keep you on wifi only until you choose to turn cellular or assist back on.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WiFi Connected, But Using Cellular Data

Welcome to iMore! You can turn cellular data off for individual apps in Settings > Cellular. Make sure you're connected to wifi whenever possible and turn off Wi-Fi Assist in Settings > Cellular (all the way at the bottom).

At the end of the day, iPhones generally use a lot of data. You may want to consider upping your data plan a bit.

Yup just disable cellular data :)

Psws123

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
My daughter has had the iPhone 5c for 2yrs and never had a data overage issue. She received the SE for Christmas and the past two months she has went over her data by an extra 2gb each month! With having 2gb already within 8 days of the billing cycle she has already reached 100% usage and just got a message today that she has 15 days left and has now gone over 2gb! Total BS!!! She has zero apps running on cellular except messages. She only uses the phone for games and stuff when she is on wifi. (Or so the phone says she is on wifi but someone still goes over data!!! I will be taking this SE to Apple and getting the issue resolved or it will be turned in for something else, as this is a total POS since AT&T won't do anything to fix it. And yes the wifi assist is off. It has to be an issue with wifi.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My daughter has had the iPhone 5c for 2yrs and never had a data overage issue. She received the SE for Christmas and the past two months she has went over her data by an extra 2gb each month! With having 2gb already within 8 days of the billing cycle she has already reached 100% usage and just got a message today that she has 15 days left and has now gone over 2gb! Total BS!!! She has zero apps running on cellular except messages. She only uses the phone for games and stuff when she is on wifi. (Or so the phone says she is on wifi but someone still goes over data!!! I will be taking this SE to Apple and getting the issue resolved or it will be turned in for something else, as this is a total POS since AT&T won't do anything to fix it. And yes the wifi assist is off. It has to be an issue with wifi.

Did you go to Settings > Cellular and see which apps are using cellular data?
Doing so would be the first to see where all that data goes.

You can also disable cellular data per app there. Just scroll down a bit and toggle data off for apps you want wifi-only.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73