My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apparently I was wrong when I said the new iPhone 5S doesn't support T-Mobile 1700 MHZ AWS 3G. It does support it and that's great news for me as now I will be able to test T-Mobile coverage while Roaming for the first time. I personally hate the AT&T 3G coverage in Orlando, FL.

Exactly, this is what I said in my post above. ;) Why would you use 3G? I believe AT&T has good LTE coverage in Florida now, which is what you will get with an unlocked iPhone 5S.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, this is what I said in my post above. ;) Why would you use 3G? I believe AT&T has good LTE coverage in Florida now, which is what you will get with an unlocked iPhone 5S.

I can confirm awesome LTE coverage in central FL here.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Never thought I could conceivably use an upgrade on Verizon to get one of my relatives a phone they could use on AT&T. Thinking about doing this for Christmas...will see.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.

I have a love-hate view of Verizon. Where I live their service is by far the best and we've never had a bad dealing with them when the many years we've been their customer. But their arrogance has been second to none on some issues and it makes me smile to know they had to give in on this issue.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

If it's in my hand I will always go LTE. But it depends, when I come to the US I usually just roam instead of getting a local SIM specially that AT&T GoPhone prices are a bit expensive. My carrier doesn't have a 4G LTE Roaming agreement with anyone yet, so I think the only way I would experience LTE in the US by getting a Monthly 4G Prepaid T-Mobile SIM.

Or let's say my iPhone 5S will already come with a T-Mobile SIM which I will activate when I come to the US, Thanks Apple. :D

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

wonder if this will be fixed w an update?

i thought when the 5's first came out they worked too. well, some did. some didn't.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If it's in my hand I will always go LTE. But it depends, when I come to the US I usually just roam instead of getting a local SIM specially that AT&T GoPhone prices are a bit expensive. My carrier doesn't have a 4G LTE Roaming agreement with anyone yet, so I think the only way I would experience LTE in the US by getting a Monthly 4G Prepaid T-Mobile SIM.

Or let's say my iPhone 5S will already come with a T-Mobile SIM which I will activate when I come to the US, Thanks Apple. :D

Do what I do -- use T-Mobile for $3/day, if staying for two weeks or less. First 200 MB each day are LTE. EDGE after that.

Can switch plans depending on how long you're staying, and refill your account online using a foreign credit card.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Do what I do -- use T-Mobile for $3/day, if staying for two weeks or less. First 200 MB each day are LTE. EDGE after that.

Can switch plans depending on how long you're staying, and refill your account online using a foreign credit card.

Yep, I like T-Mobile rates. Never tried their 3G or LTE coverage though.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

wonder if this will be fixed w an update?

i thought when the 5's first came out they worked too. well, some did. some didn't.

Not sure what update you are talking about here. If you are referring to the Verizon 5S with my AT&T SIM, there is no reason why it wouldn't continue to work.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?

As Karen said, it will work as long as your 5S is unlocked.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I like T-Mobile rates. Never tried their 3G or LTE coverage though.

I like T-Mobile rates as well. The problem I have with them is their coverage in my area never improves, and they have no coverage at all in my ER at work. I keep an old prepaid number with them for testing purposes that only cost me $10 a year.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I like T-Mobile rates as well. The problem I have with them is their coverage in my area never improves, and they have no coverage at all in my ER at work. I keep an old prepaid number with them for testing purposes that only cost me $10 a year.

Probably the will improve over time. I can see a bright future for them. I can also say they have just started to build their network by offering iPhones. I am sure in a year or two they will improve their coverage.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Probably the will improve over time. I can see a bright future for them. I can also say they have just started to build their network by offering iPhones. I am sure in a year or two they will improve their coverage.

I hope so cause I would love to go over to them but when a friend of mine and I went to her cousins out in BFE I had LTE with full bars on Verizon and she turned her phone cause of not getting any service.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I've had service with them since 2005 and they haven't changed yet, but I suppose things could change. I do like their customer service. They've always been helpful anytime I need to call them about a service related issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

laerdh

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the AT&T model for full retail, and went online to AT&T support chat and had them unlock it. Works well with my Tmobile sim. I get same level of coverage in my area for literally half the cost. Happy camper over here, looking forward to seeing more 5s verizon models show up over the year. Gonna have to pick one up just in case.

Hi! Sorry about the off-topic, but did you buy the iPhone 5S without contract? I`m from Norway and I bought a iPhone 5S from Apple Store (AT&T) at full retail price and I want to get in contact with AT&T chat support to unlock my phone, but it seems that I have to be registered with an account, and to be registered I have to have a US phone number etc... Just wonder how to unlock my phone without having any active subscription(s) at AT&T.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Sorry about the off-topic, but did you buy the iPhone 5S without contract? I`m from Norway and I bought a iPhone 5S from Apple Store (AT&T) at full retail price and I want to get in contact with AT&T chat support to unlock my phone, but it seems that I have to be registered with an account, and to be registered I have to have a US phone number etc... Just wonder how to unlock my phone without having any active subscription(s) at AT&T.

You shouldn't need to. If you bought the phone at full retail it should already be unlocked. Have you already tried using your sim in the phone?

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR