My thoughts on the Iphone X as Android user for 6years!

WebOS-Refugee

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Hope you guys take the time to read this as i already know this will be a long post but ill do my best to keep it as short as i can!

As an Android user for the past 6 years, Switching to the Iphone X has not been an easy decision and one that came with a lot of nerves as its a rather expensive phone to buy when your very uncertain if your even going to like it but none the less! I took the plunge and ordered an Iphone X as i was feeling a little bored with Android and wanted something different so here is my short review of the Iphone X after having it for 24 hours :)

First off : The Notch - Does not bother me one bit! In fact i kinda like it! Once you switch to landscape mode it suddenly becomes a lot more noticeable for some reason and i can understand why some people will be bothered by it for its not a big issue for me as i rarely play videos/have it in landscape!

The Display itself is nice. Iam happy with it. I feel it was arguably hyped up to being better then it is but maybe i just have a high standard because iam coming from an S8! Its definitely up their with the best displays but i think the likes of the S8/Note 8 are still Kings when it comes to the display! My Iphone X has a slight tint to it when tilted which is allegedly expected from this display but my samsung s8 does not have this issue. Its not bad as such. Just a little strange to my eyes!

Gestures are great and i feel kinda familar with them already as i use nova launcher on my S8 which allows me to create my own gestures etc

With regards speed, The Iphone x feels relatively smooth and snappy but the animations seem to hold it back a little. I have reduced motion enabled and it does not help much. I would say my S8 is snappier but theres not much in it so again its not an issue as such!

Over all iam pretty happy. Most of the complaints i have / Negatives are me nit picking more then anything. I dislike that there is no LED notification light. I was out of the shower earlier and glanced at the phone occasionally as i was getting ready but was unaware i had 2 new notifications until i picked the phone up and turned on the display. I would have seen the LED flashing on my S8 and got those messages sooner. Its not a big deal but its something i feel every phone should have. I understand there is a way to get the camera flash to act as a notifier but its too bright and its just not the same!

I also dislike that the battery % is not visible from the home screen . Really hope Apple fix this as its something they can easily do if they so choose too. Charging time is painfully slow compared to my S8 and when it finally reached 100% it still appeared as though it wasnt fully charged as the symbol for charging was still their and never changed so i was unsure if it was fully charged or not! On the plus side. Battery life seems to be impressive so far and is definitely on par with my S8 if not a tad better.

I had one or two apps stutter/freeze momentarily too but might just be software related. I don't want to be too critical as performance was great over all.

When it comes to pricing its hard to justify the price. I feel i would be talking crap if i was to say that its worth its price tag! However, If you can afford it then your most likely going to be happy with it! Its a great device and i feel happy enough to stick with it for now while my S8 takes a back seat!

If i could perfect the phone. I would definitely bring back that battery % . I would add a notification LED. Its not quiet as "bezel-less" as some photo's portray so maybe reduce those bezels just a tad more and maybe design 2 or 3 icon packs so we can customise the screen a little! Some might say iam describing an Android but i think theres no shame in taking a little of what is admired about android and finding a way to implement it into your own device. Apple could potentially make the most complete / best phone ever but are being held back by their stubbornness to do things different which i guess on the flip slide should be admired to an extent too!

Ill leave it there guys. I could go on lol If you took the time to read this then thanks :)

Hope everyone is enjoying their Iphone X and it would be great if Apple can resolve one or two minor annoyances with software updates!

If you haven't already figured out the fast charging method, you have to try it. It works for the 8, 8 plus, and X. I came from a Nexus 6p to the 8 plus, and fast charging is essential for me.

You'll need to purchase the USB-C to lightning cable from Apple, and then you'll also need the right USB-C charger. The one from Apple is super expensive. I've been using the iClever model IC-UC01, which works great.

You'll be amazed at how well this works. It's at least as good as fast charging on the Android phones that support it

rong21

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Seriously is that even a thing anymore?! I realize blinking LEDs were incredibly hot last decade, but if notifications are that important to a user, Apple has this device called Watch that totally crushes notifications ...

Well; it's not a deal breaker and for me a smart watch is another expense I don't want. I also don't like wearing watches.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
If you haven't already figured out the fast charging method, you have to try it. It works for the 8, 8 plus, and X. I came from a Nexus 6p to the 8 plus, and fast charging is essential for me.

You'll need to purchase the USB-C to lightning cable from Apple, and then you'll also need the right USB-C charger. The one from Apple is super expensive. I've been using the iClever model IC-UC01, which works great.

You'll be amazed at how well this works. It's at least as good as fast charging on the Android phones that support it

Is it really worth it the expense? I got hold of an ipad charger so i will use that next time i charge the device and see how that goes :) If charging time is still slow then i might invest in the recommended type c cable etc

WebOS-Refugee

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Is it really worth it the expense? I got hold of an ipad charger so i will use that next time i charge the device and see how that goes :) If charging time is still slow then i might invest in the recommended type c cable etc

Well, here's the thing. I've used Android phones exclusively for the last 7 years prior to the 8 plus. My wife, on the other hand, moved from the palm pre to the iPhone when the iPhone came to Verizon. Her iPhones have routinely lasted and held up far, far better than any of my Android phones ever did. Just this evening I took my daughter to the Apple store to get a new battery in the 5s that she inherited from my wife, a phone that's still going strong with the latest version of iOS four and a half years after we purchased it. I fully expect to have this 8 plus for at least four years. This is all a long way of saying that I don't see the investment in the right fast charging apparatus to be a big deal when I factor in the longevity that I know I'll get out of this phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm not gonna excuse not including fast charging out of the box because at this point is should be standard, not only on the X, but also on the 8 and 8 Plus. Apple seems to be walking on a tightrope lately. They like the small brick because it fits nicely in a box and it's small/well designed. There's probably a reason they only allow for fast charging via USB-C. It's definitely not necessary, but maybe it's about controlling the voltage level between existing lightning cables that have been around for a while that may not have it built in. If the latter is true (my belief) they shouldn't make mfi certification so expensive or have the waiting period they seem to have. I've yet to see an mfi fast charger.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally think Apple Watch had a huge part to play in why apple never wanted to give the iphone an LED for notifications! Its probably the feature i miss the most about my S8. Ive been late seeing a few notifications on my iphone x as a result of no led indicator.

The AW is a pretty pricey expense to pay to compensate for the lack of LED notifications. I'd personally enjoy the addition of LED notifications. Or better yet, Always On Display.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Seriously is that even a thing anymore?! I realize blinking LEDs were incredibly hot last decade, but if notifications are that important to a user, Apple has this device called Watch that totally crushes notifications ...

Yeah I don't really care for them either. My last two Android phones didn't have them either because these things called notifications got a lot better and more detailed lol.............

Try the iPad charger and see what you think. Based on some testing on another site https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/ after an hour of charging you'll be within about 7% of a fast charge setup. You'll see the biggest gap in the first 30 minutes or so which is standard fast charge behavior.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There are a few things I wish Apple would adopt though. Granular volume controls are one of the biggest. I miss being able to control alarm, system, notifications, and ringtone separately.

This seems so painfully obvious that I honestly don't know what the eff Apple is thinking in leaving this out for TEN. FLIPPING. YEARS. And 11 versions of iOS...

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
This seems so painfully obvious that I honestly don't know what the eff Apple is thinking in leaving this out for TEN. FLIPPING. YEARS. And 11 versions of iOS...

I have only realised this since switching to the iphone x. Its seriously dumb! I cannot figure out how the volume works at all. I turn it down because i dont want to be disturbed with calls in work but then everything seems to be turned down and i miss my alarm etc Yet equally as confusing is that the volume turns up and down even if the silent switch is toggled lol I would love to have my ringtone turned down but my alarm up full volume. How hard can it be ? Also, i keep missing calls whenever the phone is in my pocket. I have no idea if i have the volume down or what the hell is going on

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the transition from Android to the X. I've been in the walled garden so long it is really nice to hear/read a fresh perspective.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the transition from Android to the X. I've been in the walled garden so long it is really nice to hear/read a fresh perspective.

Your welcome mate. I feel like theres nothing my iphone x does that my S8 could not do just as good to be honest. However, theres something really enjoyable about using the Iphone x. Perhaps i grew bored of android and ios offers something new/different and fresh. I dont know what it is but using the X is just so enjoyable ha Iam really enjoying the user interface and am more then happy to sell my S8 and stick with the X. As i said in another thread. If the X had an led notification light. Customisation options and maybe a camera thats a little more sharp particularly when zoomed then i think this would be the best phone out there! The camera on the iphone is great but the S8 edges it i think!

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Your welcome mate. I feel like theres nothing my iphone x does that my S8 could not do just as good to be honest. However, theres something really enjoyable about using the Iphone x. Perhaps i grew bored of android and ios offers something new/different and fresh. I dont know what it is but using the X is just so enjoyable ha Iam really enjoying the user interface and am more then happy to sell my S8 and stick with the X. As i said in another thread. If the X had an led notification light. Customisation options and maybe a camera thats a little more sharp particularly when zoomed then i think this would be the best phone out there! The camera on the iphone is great but the S8 edges it i think!

I've been so long without the LED light that I don't even notice it. I have most notifications silenced and/or turned off anyways, so even if it was there I probably wouldn't notice it.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I've been so long without the LED light that I don't even notice it. I have most notifications silenced and/or turned off anyways, so even if it was there I probably wouldn't notice it.

I guess you do get used to it with time like anything! Id rather have it then not have it though! Sometimes i might wake at night for example and i might have no desire ti check my phone but if i see the led flashing then i know i have a notification and i can check it whereas with the iphone it goes unknown until i go out of my way to pick up the phone and check. Its not a huge deal but it can lead to me seeing important messages etc later then usual which is not ideal

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have only realised this since switching to the iphone x. Its seriously dumb! I cannot figure out how the volume works at all. I turn it down because i dont want to be disturbed with calls in work but then everything seems to be turned down and i miss my alarm etc Yet equally as confusing is that the volume turns up and down even if the silent switch is toggled lol I would love to have my ringtone turned down but my alarm up full volume. How hard can it be ? Also, i keep missing calls whenever the phone is in my pocket. I have no idea if i have the volume down or what the hell is going on

Go into Settings/Sounds & Haptics and make sure "change with buttons" is toggled on. Then go out to the homescreen and turn up the volume so that the ringer has some volume level. The Alarm seems to use the ringer volume.

Then to mute calls rings and notification sounds you can flip the mute switch. You'll still get a vibrate for calls/etc if "vibrate on silent" is toggled on (I leave it off so I don't have a phone buzzing in a meeting). The Alarm will still go off with the mute switch flipped to "silent". I know because a few times I've forgotten to turn the mute switch off of "silent" and my morning alarms still go off.

For changing media volume the buttons should control that while you're in the media/game/etc. If the popup volume thing says "ringer" you need to try again (maybe you tried adjusting it before the phone detected you were in something.

I think the default behavior with the "change with buttons" toggled off is that you must go into the sound settings to change the ringer volume and the buttons just control media volume for whatever you're in but I'm not sure 100% because I've had that toggle set to on since I switched to iPhone 2 years ago and was going nuts trying to figure it out as well.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Go into Settings/Sounds & Haptics and make sure "change with buttons" is toggled on. Then go out to the homescreen and turn up the volume so that the ringer has some volume level. The Alarm seems to use the ringer volume.

Then to mute calls rings and notification sounds you can flip the mute switch. You'll still get a vibrate for calls/etc if "vibrate on silent" is toggled on (I leave it off so I don't have a phone buzzing in a meeting). The Alarm will still go off with the mute switch flipped to "silent". I know because a few times I've forgotten to turn the mute switch off of "silent" and my morning alarms still go off.

For changing media volume the buttons should control that while you're in the media/game/etc. If the popup volume thing says "ringer" you need to try again (maybe you tried adjusting it before the phone detected you were in something.

I think the default behavior with the "change with buttons" toggled off is that you must go into the sound settings to change the ringer volume and the buttons just control media volume for whatever you're in but I'm not sure 100% because I've had that toggle set to on since I switched to iPhone 2 years ago and was going nuts trying to figure it out as well.

Cheers. That helps a little. Ideally i like to adjust everything manually! On my android for example i usually have my ringer up full but my notifications volume around half and alarm i believe is up full by default and cannot be turned down i think. I could just toggle between that set up, silent and vibrate with the touch of my finger! Would love if apple had the same toggle in control centre but oh well.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Cheers. That helps a little. Ideally i like to adjust everything manually! On my android for example i usually have my ringer up full but my notifications volume around half and alarm i believe is up full by default and cannot be turned down i think. I could just toggle between that set up, silent and vibrate with the touch of my finger! Would love if apple had the same toggle in control centre but oh well.

Yeah unfortunately I've found that iOS doesn't allow for that level of granularity yet. This will get you as close as possible right now though.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73