My thoughts on the Iphone X as Android user for 6years!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Hope you guys take the time to read this as i already know this will be a long post but ill do my best to keep it as short as i can!

As an Android user for the past 6 years, Switching to the Iphone X has not been an easy decision and one that came with a lot of nerves as its a rather expensive phone to buy when your very uncertain if your even going to like it but none the less! I took the plunge and ordered an Iphone X as i was feeling a little bored with Android and wanted something different so here is my short review of the Iphone X after having it for 24 hours :)

First off : The Notch - Does not bother me one bit! In fact i kinda like it! Once you switch to landscape mode it suddenly becomes a lot more noticeable for some reason and i can understand why some people will be bothered by it for its not a big issue for me as i rarely play videos/have it in landscape!

The Display itself is nice. Iam happy with it. I feel it was arguably hyped up to being better then it is but maybe i just have a high standard because iam coming from an S8! Its definitely up their with the best displays but i think the likes of the S8/Note 8 are still Kings when it comes to the display! My Iphone X has a slight tint to it when tilted which is allegedly expected from this display but my samsung s8 does not have this issue. Its not bad as such. Just a little strange to my eyes!

Gestures are great and i feel kinda familar with them already as i use nova launcher on my S8 which allows me to create my own gestures etc

With regards speed, The Iphone x feels relatively smooth and snappy but the animations seem to hold it back a little. I have reduced motion enabled and it does not help much. I would say my S8 is snappier but theres not much in it so again its not an issue as such!

Over all iam pretty happy. Most of the complaints i have / Negatives are me nit picking more then anything. I dislike that there is no LED notification light. I was out of the shower earlier and glanced at the phone occasionally as i was getting ready but was unaware i had 2 new notifications until i picked the phone up and turned on the display. I would have seen the LED flashing on my S8 and got those messages sooner. Its not a big deal but its something i feel every phone should have. I understand there is a way to get the camera flash to act as a notifier but its too bright and its just not the same!

I also dislike that the battery % is not visible from the home screen . Really hope Apple fix this as its something they can easily do if they so choose too. Charging time is painfully slow compared to my S8 and when it finally reached 100% it still appeared as though it wasnt fully charged as the symbol for charging was still their and never changed so i was unsure if it was fully charged or not! On the plus side. Battery life seems to be impressive so far and is definitely on par with my S8 if not a tad better.

I had one or two apps stutter/freeze momentarily too but might just be software related. I don't want to be too critical as performance was great over all.

When it comes to pricing its hard to justify the price. I feel i would be talking crap if i was to say that its worth its price tag! However, If you can afford it then your most likely going to be happy with it! Its a great device and i feel happy enough to stick with it for now while my S8 takes a back seat!

If i could perfect the phone. I would definitely bring back that battery % . I would add a notification LED. Its not quiet as "bezel-less" as some photo's portray so maybe reduce those bezels just a tad more and maybe design 2 or 3 icon packs so we can customise the screen a little! Some might say iam describing an Android but i think theres no shame in taking a little of what is admired about android and finding a way to implement it into your own device. Apple could potentially make the most complete / best phone ever but are being held back by their stubbornness to do things different which i guess on the flip slide should be admired to an extent too!

Ill leave it there guys. I could go on lol If you took the time to read this then thanks :)

Hope everyone is enjoying their Iphone X and it would be great if Apple can resolve one or two minor annoyances with software updates!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Anyone having an issue with airdrop btw? I tried transferring some wallpapers but only some came through? I saved them to files and they are all within files but when i try save them from the files folder to show up in photos , only some show up?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You say you're pretty happy but all you list are things you don't like as well. Is there anything you like better on the iPhone?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone having an issue with airdrop btw? I tried transferring some wallpapers but only some came through? I saved them to files and they are all within files but when i try save them from the files folder to show up in photos , only some show up?

I have always found AirDrop to be spotty. I cannot offer any specific advice how to make it work better. More often than not I cannot even see my AirDrop targets.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
You say you're pretty happy but all you list are things you don't like as well. Is there anything you like better on the iPhone?

Yea...I was also left a little confused as it sounded more critical of the device. Many negatives or 'neutrals' & how many real positives were there? I kept expecting to hear some good positives about it.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Lol sorry guys! There were less negatives so i focused on the negatives to keep things short! Lots of positives :) I felt the camera is every bit as good as the S8 if not marginally better! The S8 edges it when it in terms of vibrancy though if thats your thing! A few shots might look a tad more pleasing to the eye on the S8 but very little in it. Great camera on the X (have not tested the front camera.

Face i.d has worked flawlessly. The only time it failed is when i was actually tilting the phone away from me to test the angles it works at etc I know some people advise turning off require attention but i found it made no difference. Over all. Face i.d is works very well

As a whole, the user experience is just pleasing. 3D touch is useful in some apps although you kinda forget its there and often never take advantage of it. I really like the widgets drawer that you can access by swiping from the left although most of the pre installed widgets are not very useful (personally) I plan to download some more if i can! Really like the layout etc

Battery life is also great! I have noticed it drains a bit faster since turning on face i.d but its still very good :)

Aesthetically i also found that whilst the Iphone X is a bit heavier then the S8 and a little wider making it just a tiny bit harder to use one handed. On the plus side the x looks more premium and looks the more expensive device i thought!

I didnt mean to sound negative in my original post! I just tried to give an honest judgement after 24 hours with the device. Its a great phone. You just gotta remember that as an android user for years that i was always going to miss certain aspects so the iphone is always gonna fall short in some areas from an android user's perspective!

Ultimately the iphone X is the very first iphone that has been good enough to finally make me make the switch to ios so clearly it does alot right :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hope you guys take the time to read this as i already know this will be a long post but ill do my best to keep it as short as i can!

As an Android user for the past 6 years, Switching to the Iphone X has not been an easy decision and one that came with a lot of nerves as its a rather expensive phone to buy when your very uncertain if your even going to like it but none the less! I took the plunge and ordered an Iphone X as i was feeling a little bored with Android and wanted something different so here is my short review of the Iphone X after having it for 24 hours :)

First off : The Notch - Does not bother me one bit! In fact i kinda like it! Once you switch to landscape mode it suddenly becomes a lot more noticeable for some reason and i can understand why some people will be bothered by it for its not a big issue for me as i rarely play videos/have it in landscape!

The Display itself is nice. Iam happy with it. I feel it was arguably hyped up to being better then it is but maybe i just have a high standard because iam coming from an S8! Its definitely up their with the best displays but i think the likes of the S8/Note 8 are still Kings when it comes to the display! My Iphone X has a slight tint to it when tilted which is allegedly expected from this display but my samsung s8 does not have this issue. Its not bad as such. Just a little strange to my eyes!

Gestures are great and i feel kinda familar with them already as i use nova launcher on my S8 which allows me to create my own gestures etc

With regards speed, The Iphone x feels relatively smooth and snappy but the animations seem to hold it back a little. I have reduced motion enabled and it does not help much. I would say my S8 is snappier but theres not much in it so again its not an issue as such!

Over all iam pretty happy. Most of the complaints i have / Negatives are me nit picking more then anything. I dislike that there is no LED notification light. I was out of the shower earlier and glanced at the phone occasionally as i was getting ready but was unaware i had 2 new notifications until i picked the phone up and turned on the display. I would have seen the LED flashing on my S8 and got those messages sooner. Its not a big deal but its something i feel every phone should have. I understand there is a way to get the camera flash to act as a notifier but its too bright and its just not the same!

I also dislike that the battery % is not visible from the home screen . Really hope Apple fix this as its something they can easily do if they so choose too. Charging time is painfully slow compared to my S8 and when it finally reached 100% it still appeared as though it wasnt fully charged as the symbol for charging was still their and never changed so i was unsure if it was fully charged or not! On the plus side. Battery life seems to be impressive so far and is definitely on par with my S8 if not a tad better.

I had one or two apps stutter/freeze momentarily too but might just be software related. I don't want to be too critical as performance was great over all.

When it comes to pricing its hard to justify the price. I feel i would be talking crap if i was to say that its worth its price tag! However, If you can afford it then your most likely going to be happy with it! Its a great device and i feel happy enough to stick with it for now while my S8 takes a back seat!

If i could perfect the phone. I would definitely bring back that battery % . I would add a notification LED. Its not quiet as "bezel-less" as some photo's portray so maybe reduce those bezels just a tad more and maybe design 2 or 3 icon packs so we can customise the screen a little! Some might say iam describing an Android but i think theres no shame in taking a little of what is admired about android and finding a way to implement it into your own device. Apple could potentially make the most complete / best phone ever but are being held back by their stubbornness to do things different which i guess on the flip slide should be admired to an extent too!

Ill leave it there guys. I could go on lol If you took the time to read this then thanks :)

Hope everyone is enjoying their Iphone X and it would be great if Apple can resolve one or two minor annoyances with software updates!

Thank your for sharing your personal review of your iPhone X. Have a great weekend.

rong21

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
If iPhone had the notification LED it would be perfect. Only thing I have missed since jumping from Android 18 months ago.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
If iPhone had the notification LED it would be perfect. Only thing I have missed since jumping from Android 18 months ago.

Yeah i think its over looked. Such a small thing to criticise but its a huge part of wether or not you miss important notifications particularly at night. I put my phone on silent at night and have often woke and would see my LED blinking so i knew to check my phone. Its astonishing to me that any phone would not have one. Iam missing the battery % being visible to but i can get over that! Sadly both phones have their negatives. If only you could combine them ha I always disliked that you could not customise ios whereas on android you have launchers that enabled you to create gestures, change app icons, change text font, etc etc In saying that. Very seldom would i change my set up and in recent times i started feeling that its kinda gimmicky and unnecessary but now that i cannot do any of that iam missing that too haha

Iam still very happy with my iphone and enjoying it. Its just a different experience using one and at the moment iam enjoying playing with something fresh/new :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I’ve been using iPhones for so long a notification light doesn’t even register as a missing feature. I feel like I always have unread notifications though so I’d probably end up turning the notification light off anyway.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been using iPhones for so long a notification light doesn’t even register as a missing feature. I feel like I always have unread notifications though so I’d probably end up turning the notification light off anyway.
I've never owned an Android device with an LED light. The last time I had one was on a Blackberry Bold 9700, so it's been years since I had it and wouldn't even notice it now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned an Android device with an LED light. The last time I had one was on a Blackberry Bold 9700, so it's been years since I had it and wouldn't even notice it now.

I was just thinking the last time I had one was on my BlackBerry Curve 8300 from 2007. That was a good little phone, although the form factor (which I believe was the same as your 9700) was as awkward as can be.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm personally glad that iPhones don't use notification LED's. I much prefer tap and raise to wake to check for notifications. I also use an Apple Watch and am constantly turning notification alerts for certain apps off on it. Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm personally glad that iPhones don't use notification LED's. I much prefer tap and raise to wake to check for notifications. I also use an Apple Watch and am constantly turning notification alerts for certain apps off on it. Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally think Apple Watch had a huge part to play in why apple never wanted to give the iphone an LED for notifications! Its probably the feature i miss the most about my S8. Ive been late seeing a few notifications on my iphone x as a result of no led indicator.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I personally think Apple Watch had a huge part to play in why apple never wanted to give the iphone an LED for notifications! Its probably the feature i miss the most about my S8. Ive been late seeing a few notifications on my iphone x as a result of no led indicator.

AW definitely keeps me from missing anything important. I keep iMessage, Mail, and anything else I might think important turned on for my watch. Two of the biggest things that brought me back to iPhone is that I don't like Android Wear or Samsung's Gear line so smartwatches were sort of a no go, and I love my Apple Watches. Also I use macOS and AppleTV. The integration can't really be beat.

There are a few things I wish Apple would adopt though. Granular volume controls are one of the biggest. I miss being able to control alarm, system, notifications, and ringtone separately.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Agreed.
I find notification LED’s a bit outdated, it reminds of my BlackBerry days hahahaha.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Seriously is that even a thing anymore?! I realize blinking LEDs were incredibly hot last decade, but if notifications are that important to a user, Apple has this device called Watch that totally crushes notifications ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro