My take on why no lte in this years iphone

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's really weird. In Canada we have had huge HSPA+ networks for a LONG time, and it's only really been referred to as 3G+ or 3.5G.

I did not know Rogers even had an LTE network... They really haven't been advertising it, I walk past their store and see their ads on the subway all the time, never once seen a single mention of LTE or 4G. Must be a very new development.

Must not be that new since they are getting the sgs2 lte and have advertisements all over their site about their lte network.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Must not be that new since they are getting the sgs2 lte and have advertisements all over their site about their lte network.

Looked it up, it launched only in Ottawa in July and will expand to Toronto some time in Fall.. That's 2 cities... Not a very viable network for any sort of competition.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Looked it up, it launched only in Ottawa in July and will expand to Toronto some time in Fall.. That's 2 cities... Not a very viable network for any sort of competition.

Who said it was a viable network? You said there was no lte in canada which there is.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Well that raises another question. Surely the new iPhone radio will support the 4G that ATT and T-Mobile use currently, which is HSPA+. While we know it's not really true 4G (and frankly neither is LTE since it doesn't carry voice at the moment), will Apple market it as 4G? Then next year call it iPhone LTE.

Not having voice on an Lte standard does NOT mean it's not true LTE. Verizon LTE data Is TRUE even though voice is not yet transmitted over IP.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I think apple is waiting for the price of the lte chips to drop so they don't have to increase the price of their phone since they like to keep them at $199/$299. 4G LTE Devices Could See Significant Price Drop in Late 2012 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog I think since the 2nd gen chips will be more readily available and hopefully help with some battery issues that is what apple is waiting for. Any thoughts?

Apple is probably waiting more for the right time.

LTE networks are still being built. The cities that do offer LTE, the carriers, are still trying to optimize their networks. For a device manufacturer, the challenge is building devices that are also optimized to run on LTE. Look at todays devices and how they struggle when put into 4G mode. Apple would not dare risk taking that kind of hit to there image, just to say they have a LTE capable device.

Something people do not talk about, is developer support for the next generation networks. That has to be in place as well, to create a demand for moving into the 4G arena. That's still underway.

I believe, Apple understands the market better than most. More importantly, they have an ecosystem of products that is unrivaled. For NON Apple manufacturers they HAVE to offer devices early and often to better compete. Apple will release a next generation device at the perfect time, and you can bet it will operate to the expectations of there followers.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It's September, we need apple to announce something soon so we can squash all the rumors. I think that Apple is going to have a hard time competing sans 4G ... I know of people that are avoiding the iPhone because it's only 3G ... Crazy to realize but it's really out there.

They may avoid it now but will come around later.

I am not so sure there is a market Apple can't compete in. They will prosper in the 4G world. This I can guarantee you.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
They may avoid it now but will come around later.

I am not so sure there is a market Apple can't compete in. They will prosper in the 4G world. This I can guarantee you.

Yeah two years later lol. But I mean by the time apple comes out with a lte iphone will probably be 3rd gen of chips so android manufacturers will have had plenty of time to work on getting better performance and battery life, so I could see apple struggling at first since it would be their first lte phone. Just like back when the first iphones were out they had pretty bad battery life.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah two years later lol. But I mean by the time apple comes out with a lte iphone will probably be 3rd gen of chips so android manufacturers will have had plenty of time to work on getting better performance and battery life, so I could see apple struggling at first since it would be their first lte phone. Just like back when the first iphones were out they had pretty bad battery life.

You bring up a very valid point. That said I hope your wrong. Now that Apple sucked me into there product I would hate to jump ship....lol

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The Android phones have been out for a few years now and still continue to lack any good battery life whether they are running on 3G or LTE. The fact that the iPhone 4 can easily get though a 24 hour period of time with 6-7 hours of that time being usage is a testament to Apples commitment to maintain good battery life. I haven't seen one 3G Android phone that can produce those same times without an extended battery.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The Android phones have been out for a few years now and still continue to lack any good battery life whether they are running on 3G or LTE. The fact that the iPhone 4 can easily get though a 24 hour period of time with 6-7 hours of that time being usage is a testament to Apples commitment to maintain good battery life. I haven't seen one 3G Android phone that can produce those same times without an extended battery.

Nexus s has really good battery life. Not to mention droid x/x2, and fascinate all easily made it through a day with the same amount of usage that I used on the iphone 4.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nexus s has really good battery life. Not to mention droid x/x2, and fascinate all easily made it through a day with the same amount of usage that I used on the iphone 4.
Exactly how long did you have the iPhone 4? I had Verizon's Droid X2 and it definitely never made it past the 16 hour mark. Funny but, I have also read reviews on the other devices that you have listed here, and poor battery life was mentioned as a big complaint.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Exactly how long did you have the iPhone 4? I had Verizon's Droid X2 and it definitely never made it past the 16 hour mark. Funny but, I have also read reviews on the other devices that you have listed here, and poor battery life was mentioned as a big complaint.

I had the i4 for about a month. My fascinate would have the same amount of battery left at the end of the night that my iphone did. Maybe I was lucky and didn't have battery issues idk but that is how they worked for me. The x lasted not as long as the fascinate but still pretty close.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen