My take on a bigger screen

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Jobs was always horrified at the idea of an iPhone screen any bigger than 3.5 " and although the screen has gotten bigger than 3.5", I think Apple has that basic philosophy in the back of their minds when contemplating screen sizes for iPhones. I don't believe there will be a 4.7 or 5" screen anytime soon unless they see hordes of iFans leaving for bigger screens.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"One product already juggernauts the competition each year, so why complicate that?"

Maybe in the past, but not now. There are some very good products out there now. Plus, they do multiple size iPads, so why not iPhones?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually you can't say there is a bigger demand one way or another for a bigger screen or not.

What you can say is there is a demand for an iPhone, lots of iPhone users like the current screen size, lots want a bigger screen. But currently the biggest there is is 4 inches. So if you want an iPhone it is 4 inch screen or nothing.

The majority of iPhone users love the os and won't leave even if they don't like the screen size.

So we have no idea what the bigger demand is for a bigger screen until apple releases one.

Actually, yes I can say there is a bigger demand for this size vs. a bigger iPhone because we still have this size iPhone. We're not talking rocket science here man, this is simple market research and business 101...the majority controls the market with ANYTHING sold to consumers, and Apple, as a company, follows these trends to maintain customer satisfaction. If the higher demand was for a 5" screen phone over the market spectrum of iPhone, we'd have a 5" iPhone. It's so basic man, it doesn't take an inside source or crystal ball.

"One product already juggernauts the competition each year, so why complicate that?"

Maybe in the past, but not now. There are some very good products out there now. Plus, they do multiple size iPads, so why not iPhones?

It still does it now...just watch later this month (we all know what's coming). No one said other phones weren't good products...the Galaxy S line of phones is a great addition to the market, but the iPhone will still choke slam the market upon release...in numbers you just don't see from ANY other phone singularly.

The iPad was a different scenario...one where they went SMALLER to rival the "phablet" sales numbers. THAT is the only reason the iPad Mini came into existence...they even talked about this shortly after it's release, how they saw a market segment that the iPhone didn't fit in, but a smaller iPad would at least rival (meaning the Note segment, even without phone function).

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
sorry but most people don't have as big hands as you have. ladies feel 4 inch is the perfect size and some people with small hands feel even 4 inch is too big. so it comes to the personal taste. but for those people who only want to own one device thats the combination of a phone and a tablet then its perfect for them.
1. Don't believe what Apple tells you. It isn't difficult to operate a 4.7" phone.
2. Choice is always good.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think now with the introduction of the iPhone 5c it's more plausible that we would see a screen size increase next year as they could keep the 4" size for the budget model then increase the size of the main iPhone premium model so for iPhone 6 I could see a jump to 4.3 or 4.5". I really hope nothing bigger though cause the freaking Note 3 is freakishly huge actually take that back the Galaxy Mega 6.3 is freakishly huge!

Like pappy referred to having two different sized iPhones I completely agree, with the kick off of this year being the first time they release two iPhones next year could be that jump in screen size but at this time it's just not feasible. Sean has a solid point as well even with all the big screened Android devices being released for the past 4 years the iPhone's steam hasn't slowed at all during launch even vastly outpacing the sales of those Android phones combined without seeing a screen size increase until 2012 so until millions upon millions of people flock from iOS because of the "stubbornness" of Apple to not follow the "trends" and release a bigger iPhone I think we'll see the 4" 5S and 5C shatter the records set by the iPhone 5.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I think now with the introduction of the iPhone 5c it's more plausible that we would see a screen size increase next year as they could keep the 4" size for the budget model then increase the size of the main iPhone premium model so for iPhone 6 I could see a jump to 4.3 or 4.5". I really hope nothing bigger though cause the freaking Note 3 is freakishly huge actually take that back the Galaxy Mega 6.3 is freakishly huge!

Like pappy referred to having two different sized iPhones I completely agree, with the kick off of this year being the first time they release two iPhones next year could be that jump in screen size but at this time it's just not feasible. Sean has a solid point as well even with all the big screened Android devices being released for the past 4 years the iPhone's steam hasn't slowed at all during launch even vastly outpacing the sales of those Android phones combined without seeing a screen size increase until 2012 so until millions upon millions of people flock from iOS because of the "stubbornness" of Apple to not follow the "trends" and release a bigger iPhone I think we'll see the 4" 5S and 5C shatter the records set by the iPhone 5.

We've been agreeing a lot lately.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1. Don't believe what Apple tells you. It isn't difficult to operate a 4.7" phone.
2. Choice is always good.

C'mon! don't be judgemental about anything.
i have tried using galaxy phones and nexus 4. but those are really big phones for ME.
even if apple comes out with a bigger phone i would stay at 4 inches as this is the perfect size for ME. since early 2000s i have used phones with one hand only be it Nokia, blackberry or iPhone. the only time I use 2 hand operation on a touch screen is when i use a tablet.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
C'mon! don't be judgemental about anything.
i have tried using galaxy phones and nexus 4. but those are really big phones for ME.
even if apple comes out with a bigger phone i would stay at 4 inches as this is the perfect size for ME. since early 2000s i have used phones with one hand only be it Nokia, blackberry or iPhone. the only time I use 2 hand operation on a touch screen is when i use a tablet.

What's wrong with choice then?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong with choice then?

Nothing is wrong with choice. You have a plethora of phones from several different companies that cover the size spectrum from tiny to enormous.

Maybe Apple will release a larger iPhone eventually, I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't if demand continues to rise for such. But at the same time, while you guys ask what is wrong with choice, I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market? Car companies used to do this too...and it nearly bankrupted many of them...I doubt it would ever get that bad for Apple over a handful of potential devices, but for a company that has maintained a pretty staggeringly high customer satisfaction rating, Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone. (Edit...this last part was silly for me to put, but I'll leave it for continuity, that was just me talking out of my ***).

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
@SeanHRCC--" I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market?"

I don't think that it is a small portion of the market. I believe that if Apple released a bigger screen phone that their base would increase by 10-20%. That is not a small portion. Android jumpers would be a lot of people, as a lot of people went Android solely for the screen.

"Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone."

That is hogwash, IMO. Unless you have talked to the higher-ups at Apple.:) IMHO, this "niche" of customers would be a huge part of Apple's customer base in less than one year after the release of the bigger screen.

Last edited:

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is wrong with choice. You have a plethora of phones from several different companies that cover the size spectrum from tiny to enormous.

Maybe Apple will release a larger iPhone eventually, I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't if demand continues to rise for such. But at the same time, while you guys ask what is wrong with choice, I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market? Car companies used to do this too...and it nearly bankrupted many of them...I doubt it would ever get that bad for Apple over a handful of potential devices, but for a company that has maintained a pretty staggeringly high customer satisfaction rating, Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone.
But I don't want a bigger screen phone from other companies because it doesn't run iOS. Time and time again I talk to Android users and many say they would pick up an iPhone if the screen was bigger. I see it all the time.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

apple tests every screen size. This is how the iPhone came into existence.
apple tested a 9.7 inch tablet in 2005 and came out with a 3.5 inch iPhone in 2007. Every tech company tests various devices but only a few of those devices are given to the consumer .

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Why Moto X, you can buy google edition of a one or S4. You can even buy the originals and flash them to stock if you want, and back again.

Apple could release a 5 inch one, and then an iPhone 6 Mini like HTC and Samsung do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice