My "Should I Upgrade" Thread - Current Android User

Gunny Fitz

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello All-

Recently stumbled onto this site which from first glance appears to be alot more REAL and open than the Apple Community on their site!

Being a Retired Marine one would think I am able to make snap decisions on ANYTHING without hesitation or such long deliberation - such as I am faced with at this very moment. Perhaps that may apply to decisions in Combat or when lives are on the line, calling for Close Air Support or an Artillery "Fire for Effect!" - which btw I have done all the above during a tour in Iraq in the most volatile period of the war! (Which ended in a total disaster for me after stumbling upon something other than this great forum - an IED which left me 90% Disabled for life)
(Attached a few pics BEFORE and Humvee AFTER IED, and my TBI & PTSD Service Dog too- hope you don't mind?)

Since Im not here seeking sympathy or "Thank you's" from you all - I am however seeking your personal & professional advice in my dilemma!

Presently own a Samsung Galaxy S5, and have been using the Android Platform for the last 5-6 years as well. The last iPhone I used on a semi permanent basis was the 4s for a Company phone which I did in fact enjoy. My carrier is Verizon Wireless and I am NOT eligible to upgrade until next July. I should note that I DO OWN 2 MacBook Pro's and last years 27" iMac in my household, and my wife uses the iPhone 5 as well. One would think I'd own an iPhone also but I have no viable answer for this.

As many of you know being able to get your hands on the new iPhone 6s Plus in the Space Grey 64GB model is VERY tough lately! None of the Apple stores near me have one, nor does VZW or Best Buy, etc. However, while in upstate NY last week I strolled thru a Best Buy there to actually lay hands on it and low & behold they had ONE in stock right there inside their cabinet :big grin:
What I did was ask the Rep a few Return Policy questions and put the phone on my BB charge card = full pop $849!

Unbelievably, its still located inside it's original box which i may add it COMPLETELY unopened and sealed with their stickers!! I am frozen. I am now holding the device I searched all over for upon its release and totally undecided whether or not to make the move and activate this beauty on my VZW account! I don't think it's because I am afraid to ditch the Android platform, or anything involved with that - the S5 works fine. Since its paid for I won't have to make those Apple or VZW monthly payments, BUT i have absolutely no clue what the min monthly payments would be on the BB card. So therefore folks......................................

Do I just get off the pot here and activate the damn phone and perhaps sell the S5 on eBay or Craigslist to make something back OR do I bring it back to BB and wait for the highly anticipated iPhone 7 release next year? Or MAYBE do I activate it , use it for another 10 days and if not thrilled THEN bring it back to BB (Which is feasible according to them) and hope that I love it enough to keep the thing?
WHAT DO I DO MY FORUM FRIENDS?? -------Please give me some Pros & Cons on each side of this mental challenge I am faced with! I anxiously await your response folks. Many, many thanks in advance as well. :cool:

Semper Fidelis.

**Very sorry for this extremely long thread and workup - but writing at length is a symptom of my PTSD and is hard to control. SORRY! :crying:

Attachments

• 353.JPG
    353.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 1stSgt & SecDef.JPG
    1stSgt & SecDef.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 5960_1196391797801_1468671004_30519563_2418301_n.jpg
    5960_1196391797801_1468671004_30519563_2418301_n.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Brendan ID Pic.jpg
    Brendan ID Pic.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ready dog 8.jpg
    ready dog 8.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Pre-Op Service Dog .jpg
    Pre-Op Service Dog .jpg
    381 KB · Views: 73

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello All-

Recently stumbled onto this site which from first glance appears to be alot more REAL and open than the Apple Community on their site!

Being a Retired Marine one would think I am able to make snap decisions on ANYTHING without hesitation or such long deliberation - such as I am faced with at this very moment. Perhaps that may apply to decisions in Combat or when lives are on the line, calling for Close Air Support or an Artillery "Fire for Effect!" - which btw I have done all the above during a tour in Iraq in the most volatile period of the war! (Which ended in a total disaster for me after stumbling upon something other than this great forum - an IED which left me 90% Disabled for life)
(Attached a few pics BEFORE and Humvee AFTER IED, and my TBI & PTSD Service Dog too- hope you don't mind?)

Since Im not here seeking sympathy or "Thank you's" from you all - I am however seeking your personal & professional advice in my dilemma!

Presently own a Samsung Galaxy S5, and have been using the Android Platform for the last 5-6 years as well. The last iPhone I used on a semi permanent basis was the 4s for a Company phone which I did in fact enjoy. My carrier is Verizon Wireless and I am NOT eligible to upgrade until next July. I should note that I DO OWN 2 MacBook Pro's and last years 27" iMac in my household, and my wife uses the iPhone 5 as well. One would think I'd own an iPhone also but I have no viable answer for this.

As many of you know being able to get your hands on the new iPhone 6s Plus in the Space Grey 64GB model is VERY tough lately! None of the Apple stores near me have one, nor does VZW or Best Buy, etc. However, while in upstate NY last week I strolled thru a Best Buy there to actually lay hands on it and low & behold they had ONE in stock right there inside their cabinet :big grin:
What I did was ask the Rep a few Return Policy questions and put the phone on my BB charge card = full pop $849!

Unbelievably, its still located inside it's original box which i may add it COMPLETELY unopened and sealed with their stickers!! I am frozen. I am now holding the device I searched all over for upon its release and totally undecided whether or not to make the move and activate this beauty on my VZW account! I don't think it's because I am afraid to ditch the Android platform, or anything involved with that - the S5 works fine. Since its paid for I won't have to make those Apple or VZW monthly payments, BUT i have absolutely no clue what the min monthly payments would be on the BB card. So therefore folks......................................

Do I just get off the pot here and activate the damn phone and perhaps sell the S5 on eBay or Craigslist to make something back OR do I bring it back to BB and wait for the highly anticipated iPhone 7 release next year? Or MAYBE do I activate it , use it for another 10 days and if not thrilled THEN bring it back to BB (Which is feasible according to them) and hope that I love it enough to keep the thing?
WHAT DO I DO MY FORUM FRIENDS?? -------Please give me some Pros & Cons on each side of this mental challenge I am faced with! I anxiously await your response folks. Many, many thanks in advance as well. :cool:

Semper Fidelis.

**Very sorry for this extremely long thread and workup - but writing at length is a symptom of my PTSD and is hard to control. SORRY! :crying:

Semper Fi Gunny and Welcome to iMore. I suggest you open that NEW iPhone and start getting busy enjoying it... SMILE ...ENJOY the site.
Thank You for you service...OOH-RAH!!!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
No matter how you slice it, you have the Best Buy return policy to lean on right now. What is the return policy on an iPhone purchased outright, 30 days? Probably want to double check that. I would say open it up, activate it and give it a shot. The screen is great, the battery life is great, and I feel the overall experience is great. You can transfer all of your data from android to iPhone with that transfer to iPhone app(I don't know if that is the exact name of the app). I look at the nexus phones from time to time but really like my iPhone 6s and the 6 plus I had before. Good luck with your decision.

Njshoregurl

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I say get he phone 😜 the only thing if your going to charge it if you pay it fast it's great if not I would upgrade interest free from your phone service provider.. If they have it

Gunny Fitz

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE !!!

Well, yesterday i finally caved in and opened it up and activated it! SOOOO many different things I have never seen or used before - WOW!
I played around with settings for a long time and looked up how to get rid of things like - When texts come in they are visible on the screen no matter what! Cant have that! lol.

Going to check on the 30 day return policy but next Thur is 14 days so i better stop writing here and start trying it out now! :)
Thanks for everything and I will be sure to report in w a review. TTYL ALL !

OOHRAH!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE !!!

Well, yesterday i finally caved in and opened it up and activated it! SOOOO many different things I have never seen or used before - WOW!
I played around with settings for a long time and looked up how to get rid of things like - When texts come in they are visible on the screen no matter what! Cant have that! lol.

Going to check on the 30 day return policy but next Thur is 14 days so i better stop writing here and start trying it out now! :)
Thanks for everything and I will be sure to report in w a review. TTYL ALL !

OOHRAH!

AWESOME!! I get so excited for people experiencing an iPhone for the first time. You can't tell that we are passionate about our iDevices over here, can you?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Your dog looks freaking awesome dude.

One of the main selling points for Apple is how integrated all their stuff is. I've tried Windows, Chrome OS, and OS X with Android and the same three with iOS. There's some good apps for syncing Android to those OSes but nothing beats plugging an iPad or iPhone into your Mac and having everything there. If you're already using Macs at home, iOS is hard to beat. I simply love handoff. And no carrier bloatware! I have good memories of my Note 3 but man between Samsung apps, Verizon apps, and Android apps I had so much stuff that I never used once.

Financially, be careful about adding that big charge to your card. If you're able to pay it off in time, you're fine but if you've got a high interest rate, you definitely don't want them gouging you monthly for that phone. I held off replacing my Note 3 when the iPhone 6+ came out (I love phablets) and I'm glad I waited. I got a killer deal from Verizon this year since they wanted me to re-sign.

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Long time android user and also a vet of 12 years active duty....switched to iOS a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. There are things I don't like about the iPhone but they are minute and unimportant.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Long time android user and also a vet of 12 years active duty....switched to iOS a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. There are things I don't like about the iPhone but they are minute and unimportant.

Welcome to iMore and Thank you for your service. I'm a Veteran as well, it's always good to see a fellow Veteran. ENJOY the site.

Gunny Fitz

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and Thank you for your service. I'm a Veteran as well, it's always good to see a fellow Veteran. ENJOY the site.

Quick question - Is putting links here within replies not allowed per rules? If so I apologize to the Mods (Spencer) and Admin for doing so, since I don't see the one i posted in this thread about my article? As someone w TBI I definitely have alot of memory loss, but i swear I did post it here, I think? lol. Please advise when possible? Thanks!

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on opening that sucker up. I too switched from Android last year. I started with a 6 last year and just picked up a 6S Plus yesterday. Enjoy!

Chino32

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
to the OP i would definitely keep that 6s Plus. i'm a droid guy but i found the Galaxy S5 to be the worst of their recent phones. i currently have a Note 5 but i'm going to grab the 6s Plus soon. how has the plus been for you?