My not so "Apple" Store experience this weekend.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
What is wrong with the camera? I'd not fear visiting a Genius Bar. I've had nothing but positive experiences there.

The crescent thing on the front camera. It's been getting steadily worse and it's getting to the point where I'm annoyed by it. My particular Apple Store has a tendency of talking down to women that go in there with issues. Fingers crossed for a positive experience this time though.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The crescent thing on the front camera. It's been getting steadily worse and it's getting to the point where I'm annoyed by it. My particular Apple Store has a tendency of talking down to women that go in there with issues. Fingers crossed for a positive experience this time though.

That issue has been pretty widely reported and Apple, as far as I have read, has been pretty good about replacing those devices.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

They shouldn't give you any fuss. But don't expect it to stay "fixed". Mine came back in under a month.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the store employees were not on point that day. If someone wiped your phone without making sure you had a backup, and not warning you in advance, I think you'd be entirely in your rights to at least email customer support about your bad experiences.

Funny enough, I was in an Apple store just this morning for a similar issue. I had the same front camera issue on my phone a few months ago, but to a smaller degree. When I took it into the Apple store, they said that as long as it wasn't obstructing the camera, it was just a cosmetic issue and not worry about it for now. The 'crescent' has gotten more pronounced a couple months later. I was in this store this morning for an unrelated issue and brought it up again, and they offered to replace the display panel without any fuss. Maybe it depends on either: 1. what day you go in to ask about it/who's manning the counter or 2. how severe the discrepancy is.

Oddly enough, I was asked before they worked on it if I had any recent backups, and was told in advance that they may have to wipe it while repairing, even they didn't have to in the process.

If you want to look the issue up online, look up 'crescentgate iPhone' (I hate the '-gate' moniker's, btw), and you'll find a lot on it. So far it doesn't appear to be obstructing cameras, and most people have been successful in getting it replaced. Probably a design issue that will have to get worked out for the next model (yay new model issues!)

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
That does not seem like a half bad wait, especially for a Saturday. It would take roughly 3-4 hours for apple to be able to get someone in without an appointment on a Saturday here. I have two Apple stores within a 15 minute drive in my area, one that is a 15 minute train ride and one an hour away. They are usually all really helpful. The one i frequent is 5 minutes from my house and is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norulesjustgo

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I went through 4 screen replacements for the front-facing camera issue before I found out my phone was bent so it was replaced under warranty. On the warranty replacement I haven't had the front-facing camera issue luckily. However now this iPhone is bent too. I can't with iPhone anymore. I've had iPhone 4, 4S and 5 and by far this is the worst quality I have seen from Apple. I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Some stores just have universally good service (online Amazon support), universally horrendous service across the company (Mac cosmetics). Apple is somewhere in the middle. They all seem to have this cult-ish quality to them, but Apple doesn't ensure that their employees are all... nice. Or even competent. It really depends on the store you go to.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Some stores just have universally good service (online Amazon support), universally horrendous service across the company (Mac cosmetics). Apple is somewhere in the middle. They all seem to have this cult-ish quality to them, but Apple doesn't ensure that their employees are all... nice. Or even competent. It really depends on the store you go to.

I'd say that this is pure "speculation" on your part. If not, I'd love to see any proof/documentation you have to back up this claim - especially the "Or even competent" part.

xNeezzy

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm shocked! I've been to the Apple Store for purchases and Genius Bar appointments a couple of times and my experience with the apple workers were always great!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm shocked! I've been to the Apple Store for purchases and Genius Bar appointments a couple of times and my experience with the apple workers were always great!

Totally agree with this. I hade one visit (out of many, over the years) where the experience was less than exactly what I expected. And in the end, even that experience turned out well.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd say that this is pure "speculation" on your part. If not, I'd love to see any proof/documentation you have to back up this claim - especially the "Or even competent" part.

You're lucky to have visited good apple stores. There are plenty of horror stories from the Philadelphia area stores about lack of good service. Not all the time but there are some employees who are more competent then others.

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've only visited and Apple store twice before which is 1 1/2 away. Though the experience was good it was odd at the same time. I guess you could call it organized chaos. It was so crowded I had to inch my way to the genius bar trying to avoid being trampled. I have to say though from the time I walked in till the time I left I was approach many times by the employees asking if I was being helped. We had appointments both times, was in and out quickly, and both problems were resolved to our satisfaction. Like another poster asked above, I do wonder how they know they are giving back the correct device to the customer? However positive my experience was I hope I never have to go back. To chaotic for me.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You're lucky to have visited good apple stores. There are plenty of horror stories from the Philadelphia area stores about lack of good service. Not all the time but there are some employees who are more competent then others.

I cannot imagine that all the stores in the Philadelphia area are bad. They can be chaotic at times, but that is due to their popularity and the popularity of Apple products. If service truly is bad, you need to report the issue to the store manager, and up the chain of command.

xNeezzy

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I've only visited and Apple store twice before which is 1 1/2 away. Though the experience was good it was odd at the same time. I guess you could call it organized chaos. It was so crowded I had to inch my way to the genius bar trying to avoid being trampled. I have to say though from the time I walked in till the time I left I was approach many times by the employees asking if I was being helped. We had appointments both times, was in and out quickly, and both problems were resolved to our satisfaction. Like another poster asked above, I do wonder how they know they are giving back the correct device to the customer? However positive my experience was I hope I never have to go back. To chaotic for me.

Though the store can be crowded and busy, when ever I go I am always greeted right when I enter the store and always asked what I need help with, I like that about my local store, the employees are always nice.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I cannot imagine that all the stores in the Philadelphia area are bad. They can be chaotic at times, but that is due to their popularity and the popularity of Apple products. If service truly is bad, you need to report the issue to the store manager, and up the chain of command.

There's only 1 actually in the city, and yea. Management was stealing merchandise a year or so ago so they definitely have room for improvement all around.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I've found that the Quakerbirdge Mall store is ok while the Cherry Hill and Willow Grove Mall stores are excellent.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Eh I live in NYC which could be why but there's about 4-5 somewhat close to me considering they're all in Manhattan and all of them are great and possibly better then Amazon customer service which has been pretty bad for me at least the past month or so giving me the run around with a lost package.

I've gone to the one on Fifth Ave in Manhattan that's open 24/7 and usually always busy no matter the time and I wanted to exchange my iPad Air 2 128GB wifi for the cellular model and the guy who he,led me let me keep the charger and cable that came with the original iPad that I bought. Another one didn't give me an issue exchanging my iPad Air 2 because of that clicking noise you would get in the speaker randomly whenever you had something that made a noise like an email or etc. I made a thread about it on Mac rumors and seems to be a pretty big issue ( nothing huge). I never replicated it for the guy helping me because it was loud in the store but he gladly exchanged it for a new iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk