My mom's Apple ID mess.......

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So my mom had an iPhone 6 and she is logged in with her email for iCloud which is someemail@msn.com

seems like my sister once logged into her iTunes store with her email to download some game, my sister's email is someemail@gmail.com

My mom's verification/backup email is someemail@gmx.com

Now the problem is, everytime she goes to the App Store to update her apps, it asks her for her iTunes account password for the somegmail@gmail.com which is my sister's email then if she cancels that prompt, she gets another prompt to login with her someemal@gmx.com

Very messy

I logged into her iCloud account management with her main email: someemail@msn.com and verified that my sister's email which is someemal@gmail.com is not there as a backup or seconary email

Also, her backup or verification email is indeed someemail@gmx.com but that's not the main login email

finally, today I got her an iPhone 7+ and she logged in with her main email someemail@msn.com and restoreed the latest backup from iCloud but the problem is still there, it keeps on nagging and asking her for my small sister's email password

What gives? how do I get rid of this mess

I tried signing out of the iTunes store and re-signing in with her main email someemail@msn.com and yet, she's still getting the same nuisance about having to login with her backup email and my sister's email

I am thinking, if we just make her a new Apple ID with a totally new email, what is the best way that we can sign out and login with that new email without losing the photos that are currently on her phone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like there was an app that was added or purchased with your sister's Apple ID. When you restore the phone from an old backup, you are telling the phone to reinstall the app with those credentials. I'd think resetting the phone and setting it up from scratch without restoring would fix the problem, unless there is a way to determine exactly which app caused the issue.

As for backing up photos, this article talks about how to move photos from your PC to your phone, and you can just use that to use iTunes or iCloud Photo Library (if the photos are under 5 GB or you are willing to pay for more storage): How to transfer photos from your Mac or PC to your iPhone and iPad | iMore

Here is an article that talks you through using iTunes to find which app is using another Apple ID: Find out which iOS app is requesting your Apple ID password | Macworld

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
finally, today I got her an iPhone 7+ and she logged in with her main email someemail@msn.com and restoreed the latest backup from iCloud but the problem is still there, it keeps on nagging and asking her for my small sister's email password

Whatever that app(s) is that your sister downloaded using her own Apple ID need to be deleted from the phone completely. For example let's say she downloaded the ESPN app and her Apple ID and it's trying to restore itself during the restoration process, it'll keep prompting for your sister's info in order to download it. Instead of leaving it to download just delete the grayed out ESPN app completely and you won't get that prompt anymore.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Whatever that app(s) is that your sister downloaded using her own Apple ID need to be deleted from the phone completely. For example let's say she downloaded the ESPN app and her Apple ID and it's trying to restore itself during the restoration process, it'll keep prompting for your sister's info in order to download it. Instead of leaving it to download just delete the grayed out ESPN app completely and you won't get that prompt anymore.

I just gave up, created a new Apple ID for her and logged in with it, problem solved :)

thanks all for your help

Brian W1

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
If you were to try again the apps that Its trying to install from your sisters account will be on the home screen but greyed out like a previous post said. If you just delete those apps it will stop. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and deleting those apps solved it.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Each device only gets 3 iCloud accounts. Be careful.

really? so if someone sells his phone to another person, that's a 2nd email used, then if that person gives it to his child or something, it's a 3rd and now no new person can login with their iCloud account? I never knew that. I thought when you reset the phone and like a brand new phone

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If you were to try again the apps that Its trying to install from your sisters account will be on the home screen but greyed out like a previous post said. If you just delete those apps it will stop. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and deleting those apps solved it.

ohh I never thought of that, thanks for the tip. Although it would've been hard to identify which app was that from my sister's account as she had too many apps installed

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
really? so if someone sells his phone to another person, that's a 2nd email used, then if that person gives it to his child or something, it's a 3rd and now no new person can login with their iCloud account? I never knew that. I thought when you reset the phone and like a brand new phone

Nope. 3 is the limit per device. That's so folks don't create multiple accounts to get lots of free 5 gb of storage in iCloud.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

As long as you logged in to the original Apple ID account and removed the phone from that account, you should have no issues with associating the phone with a new Apple ID.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. 3 is the limit per device. That's so folks don't create multiple accounts to get lots of free 5 gb of storage in iCloud.

Do you mean three simultaneous iCloud sign-ins? Surely our iPhones aren't limited to 3 iCloud accounts through their life span. For example, if I sell my device and wipe it and disassociate it with my iTunes/iCloud accounts prior to selling, the next owner should be able to do the same thing if they sell it and so on. I didn't believe these phones had a three owner limit.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean three simultaneous iCloud sign-ins? Surely our iPhones aren't limited to 3 iCloud accounts through their life span. For example, if I sell my device and wipe it and disassociate it with my iTunes/iCloud accounts prior to selling, the next owner should be able to do the same thing if they sell it and so on. I didn't believe these phones had a three owner limit.

If you create 3 iCloud accounts on one device, that's it. No more on that device. A work around may be to create a new account on another device, then sign in to that.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh