My LifeProof Fre (Banzai) for iPhone 6 Plus Review

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Nice write up. I've been leery of cases skin built in protectors but if this one's working for you, that's good :)

Thanks. The first thing I did was go to my sounds and test how well I could hear them, then a phone call to test that audio. Doing all that I was testing the screen protector as well. I was very happy & it of course passed the waterproofing test with flying colors. I actually put some tissue inside the case for the test and it was bone dry at the end of the test. If they can keep this level of quality, or even better improve on it I think their customers will be very happy. Of course I've only got experience with their iPhone line of cases as I've not tried the Samsung cases.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
e2084c6374a5c6cb5e8cf1602d299e12.jpg

I too did pick one up at BB for 61.99. But I'm very disappointed in all of the oil looking marks in the built in screen protector. Yuck.

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had to exchange my blue one for a black case because some of the rubber started peeling up & they didn't have another blue case. I've noticed that this new one has the oil effect also. It's frustrating but that's the only complaint I have right now.

Very frustrating.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No but considering this has been a issues for years, you would think LP could figure this out without us having to use baby powder.

I totally agree. For them to charge that much money for a case, you would think they would have corrected this problem long ago.

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

Sorry I've not responded in a couple days but I've been absolutely slammed. I work with the American Red Cross and I've had my plate full. My normal day to day with Red Cross I'm the Disaster Services/Disaster Response Team Chief where I live, but on top of my normal duties right now I'm doing what we call remote/virtual casework management providing support to our caseworkers that are currently deployed in Texas, Louisiana, & Mississippi, helping them ensure they're entering cases for new clients correctly & approving special requests for assistance to folks who live in the affected areas. Eventually I'll be deployed to that region as well, but I won't know where I'm going until the day before I get on a plane.

Anyway, lol............. I said above that I had to exchange my original Banzai Blue case because of a defect and got a black one. I liked the black because it matched my phone well. Well goober me had my phone out of the case to clean it and the case & dropped it. Luckily it landed back down, but not so lucky it shattered the camera lens. I filed an insurance claim with Asurion & had a replacement device in 18 hours (filed claim at 3 pm on a Friday & had the replacement device by 12 pm Sat) which was great. Though I didn't get another Black/Space Gray 128GB 6 Plus, but instead I got a White/Gold 128GB 6 Plus. For the part you can see (white home button & a little bit of gold in the square window) it looks ok, but I'd much rather have a white case to match better. Guess I'm kinda OCD like that LOL. I figured I'd just get a replacement device but was surprised that I got an entire new phone, in box with all accessories.

Wow, I kinda derailed there for a sec lol. I'm still getting the "oil slick" look on my screen, which is only noticeable when the screen is off but again my OCD causes it to aggravate me. I've tried cleaning the phone glass and inside of the screen protector thinking maybe it was something on the phone or case but its still there. I even tried the baby powder trick and still no look. Either way it doesn't affect the integrity of the case but I would think as Garz said above that they'd (Lifeproof/OtterBox) would've figured this out. I've not had that problem one time with any of my OB cases. I have to be honest though, with having the White/Gold now I'm really considering getting a new Speck Candy Shell Clear to show off my phone (since my son jacked my last one LOL).

My wife absolutely despises my case addiction LOL

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered this case for my 6s Plus. One trick I've always used with my OB defenders and oil slicking is to take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, or an alcohol wipe, wipe both the phone screen and the case inside, then take a microfiber cloth and dry it. Never had any oil slicking afterwards. I don't have baby powder around the house, but being a nurse, alcohol wipes are littered everywhere by the thousands.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Any sound issues on phone calls? On previous generations (5, 5s) I've heard some people complain about the other party not being able to hear them, but that's doesn't seem to be a consistent complaint.

Been looking at getting one of these for my 6S, great idea on the Best Buy price match. Might have to go try that at lunch.

I loved the Lifeproof on my 5s until I realized nobody could hear me! I'm glad to hear that's not an issue with this version!

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the Fre for my 6s plus also. I had to get used to the super size it made my phone. After I got use to it it gives me peace of mind that it can handle any spill or water contact. I have had life proof for other phones and have always liked them.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered this case for my 6s Plus. One trick I've always used with my OB defenders and oil slicking is to take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, or an alcohol wipe, wipe both the phone screen and the case inside, then take a microfiber cloth and dry it. Never had any oil slicking afterwards. I don't have baby powder around the house, but being a nurse, alcohol wipes are littered everywhere by the thousands.

I just picked up the LifeProof Fre for my 6s Plus. I got a GREAT deal from BestBuy open box deal (a slit on the side of the packaging).
I'm definitely going to try the alcohol wipes, I hope it helps the rainbow effects. Thanks Zach for the info.
Now I have to order the Encase belt clip since my Otterbox defender belt clip has spoiled me.

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up the LifeProof Fre for my 6s Plus. I got a GREAT deal from BestBuy open box deal (a slit on the side of the packaging).
I'm definitely going to try the alcohol wipes, I hope it helps the rainbow effects. Thanks Zach for the info.
Now I have to order the Encase belt clip since my Otterbox defender belt clip has spoiled me.

I tried the baby powder trick with mine and it never worked. I did have to get a warranty replacement because the little tab holding the earphone cover broke. I could still screw the cover in and never lost any functionality of the case. My replacement case does not do the rainbow effect surprisingly.

I'm glad you considered the the Encased holster for your case. I love mine, I'm sure you say the pics on the first page of the thread. The one thing I don't like it at the top, the back of the spring hinge clip it's kinda thick and can be uncomfortable to wear, but my favorite feature is the belt clip is wide enough to completely fit/lock onto my duty belt whereas my OB Defender clip wouldn't and it was constantly wiggling its way up.

Be sure to let us know what you think of the clip and case!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried the baby powder trick with mine and it never worked. I did have to get a warranty replacement because the little tab holding the earphone cover broke. I could still screw the cover in and never lost any functionality of the case. My replacement case does not do the rainbow effect surprisingly.

I'm glad you considered the the Encased holster for your case. I love mine, I'm sure you say the pics on the first page of the thread. The one thing I don't like it at the top, the back of the spring hinge clip it's kinda thick and can be uncomfortable to wear, but my favorite feature is the belt clip is wide enough to completely fit/lock onto my duty belt whereas my OB Defender clip wouldn't and it was constantly wiggling its way up.

Be sure to let us know what you think of the clip and case!

Thanks for your review and I will definitely let my opinions of the case and clip known.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm HAPPY to report "NO" rainbow effect (I did the alcohol thing). The Fre's screen is smoother and much more responsive than my Otterbox Defender's screen. The LifeProof Fre is also much lighter and IMO looks and feels better than the Defender. I also tested the muffling concept with my home phone and there was no difference in sound quality.
I am Very satisfied with my LifeProof Fre.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok now my LifeProof experience is complete. I just received my Encase Belt Clip from Amazon. VERY NICE .
0956f633ad85efb1ef207f0bcf993be4.jpg

35d1078581219bcb8f041cece13e9ede.jpg

5ebb8ced8c61ad08f49323b4be95c9f9.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members