My iPhone 6 fell in the bath.

I

iMore Question

The Otterbox (which isn't water resistant) was on. I took the case off. The phone was still working fine, but i took the sim card off, powered it off, then submerged it in a bag of silica kitty litter. What else should I do? How long should I leave it in there?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Rice may work for areas close to the outside of the phone. But you risk a small piece of rice getting stuck in a port or other place that could damage components. Better is to use a desiccant like silicone packets. Most important is Do Not Turn On until dry. It's hit or miss. Depends on how much liquid got in the phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Otterbox (which isn't water resistant) was on. I took the case off. The phone was still working fine, but i took the sim card off, powered it off, then submerged it in a bag of silica kitty litter. What else should I do? How long should I leave it in there?

1. How long did the device stay in the water?
2. Was the "phone" wet or just the Otterbox casing? If only the case was wet then I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, the information via the following link should be quite useful to you, in my opinion.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204104

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You should take it to an Apple Store as rice helping wet electronics is a myth.

Well I wouldn't say it's a myth, BUT it's not the panacea some folks think either. IF the amount of water in the device isn't TOO bad then it could work, as it DOES draw moisture. HOWEVER often the damage is already done. Better to use silica packs as D said, AND even better would be having it professionally done, which probably would include a cleaning with pure alcohol.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Well I wouldn't say it's a myth, BUT it's not the panacea some folks think either. IF the amount of water in the device isn't TOO bad then it could work, as it DOES draw moisture. HOWEVER often the damage is already done. Better to use silica packs as D said, AND even better would be having it professionally done, which probably would include a cleaning with pure alcohol.

Yeah, they deoxidize contacts, which helps reviving the device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy